Long Lost Member
garysmom
Total Posts: 4
Registered on: ‎08-23-2010

Which insulin pump is the best for children

My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 1-4-09....We have decided to try the pump......If i could get some feedback on which pump you guys think would be best for a 6 year old VERY ACTIVE little boy....lol...I would greatly appreciate it....Thanks soooo much
Long Lost Member
taz.tr
Total Posts: 19
Registered on: ‎11-27-2009

Hello our daughter has great luck with the Animas One Touch Ping Pump and Meter, It's a pump smart meter can caluclate bolus keeps track of insulin on board. Pretty much an all around Great Pump
Occasional Contributor
Alexsmom
Total Posts: 252
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

I think most people like the pumps they use. Alex has a Minimed. His is a 722. The new one is called the Revel I think. It's very good and even young children use it.

But I know that Animas and the Omnipod are also very good pumps. And I think there are other pumps out there. I just don't know anything about them.
Barbie,
Mom to Alex, 21 yo, T1 dx at 15 yrs
and Neal, 13 yo, non D
Contributor
slpmom2
Total Posts: 236
Registered on: ‎11-05-2009

Welcome to the board! We were similar to you when our dd was diagnosed in that we decided very quickly that dd would get a pump. Best D decision we've made!

So here's the thing with insulin pumps: they're all good. They all deliver insulin, which is what they're supposed to do. They're all durable. They all have good customer service. It really comes down to what you like, want, and need.

The three major pumps that are out there are the Minimed Revel, Animas Ping, and Omnipod (there are some other pump companies, but I don't know anyone who uses them and can't say anything about them). Each one has its individual plusses and minuses:

If it's important to you that he not have any tubing hanging off of him, the Omnipod is worth looking at because it's tubeless. At the same time, though, we found the Pod too large for our 6-year-old's little body.

The big draw of the Animas Ping is that there's a remote so you can give a dose of insulin without having to pull out the pump (and possibly from across the room without him having to slow down). They also advertise heavily that it's waterproof, which is a big draw for a lot of parents, but it's actually no more waterproof than the Minimed. You can read about that here: http://www.minimed.com.au/downloads/The%20Truth%20abouth%20Watertight.pdf

The big draw of Minimed is that it has the option of an integrated continuous glucose monitor. If that's a priority for you, then (for now, anyway) that's the way to go. The newest version of the MM pump (the Revel) has the same tiny dosing capability as the Ping, so that's not an issue (it used to be, which is why I bring it up).

There are a lot of changes coming up, such as MM coming out with a tubeless pump, Omnipod coming out with a pediatric-sized pod, and Animas integrating with the Dexcom glucose monitor, but the timeline on those is always iffy, so if you're looking to pump sooner rather than later this is the information to consider.

What I'd recommend you do is talk with your endo about looking at samples of the different pumps, and see what you like. Besides the differences I described, the other differences are largely cosmetic and it really does come down to what you like - Which one has a screen you can see easily? Which one has operating menus that are easy to figure out? Which one has buttons that feel good to press? You'll also want to consider whether your insurance will cover one better than another - neither the pump nor the supplies are cheap. You might also want to consider how much experience your endo has with each pump. It's not critical, but for some people it's important. For us, another big factor was our daughter's opinion - she's got to live with this thing strapped to her, so she's got to like it. At 6 1/2, she had a definite opinion on which one she wanted. Because they were all good options, and because our insurance coverage was equivalent, we let her make the final call. And she got to choose the color, too.

It's a big decision, but hopefully you'll love it no matter which one you pick. Good luck, and please post again with questions or to let us know what you decide!
Long Lost Member
garysmom

Thanks soooo much for your info. We had our endo appt. yesterday and got signed up for the pump class in September his A1c went up to 8.7...It was 7.5 last time...But she said his numbers from his meter readings did not reflect an A1c like that...??????....I cant wait to see how he does with the pump....Does anyone know if you get the new mini med revel with the cgm if it is considered one item as far as insurance goes or would it be considered two?....What do you guys think about the cgm.....Does it take away the need for finger sticks for the most part?....Again thanks sooo much for all you input
Frequent Advisor
gsmom1
Total Posts: 376
Registered on: ‎11-03-2009

Hi My son is 15 and has been pumping over a year. His A1C came down 1.0 with the pump. From what I know, the CGM and its supplies are seperate under insurance. Minimed does a good job of checking with your insurance and letting you know what is covered. My son does not use the cgm at this time. He does not want another insertion. At pump class, most of the younger kids had the cgm and it seemed to really help their parents manage blood sugars better, in particular lows. My son does most of his diabetes management, so it is different for us. Good luck. The pump was a huge improvement for my son.
G 18 diagnosed 3/22/08
Occasional Contributor
Alexsmom

Hi,

I think the insurance will look at the pump and the cgm as 2 sep things. But it seems like more insurance cos are covering the cgm more easily. And minimed should know what info you need to give in order to get one (like we needed 2 mos of bg readings with 6 readings under 50).

Alex just started on the cgm and we do like it. But it doesn't eliminate fingersticks. I think for many people, they still do the same number of fingersticks. But you could cut it down to 2 fingersticks to calibrate the cgm each day PLUS fingersticks to verify and treat lows and highs....but you don't have to do a fingerstick before eating if the cgm says you are in a good range.

The usefulness of the cgm comes more in that it gives you readings of the whole day so you can see patterns of where the bg is going high or low and then you can adjust the insulin to help smooth those out. And you can catch lows or highs that either you may have missed or may not have caught as early.
Barbie,
and Neal, 13 yo, non D
Long Lost Member
garysmom

Thanks for all your info....You guys are all great.My son is standing in front of me right now with his HALLOWEEN CANDY saying "Mommy may I please have this"...lol...Anyway we have our endo appointment Thursday to get started on his pump! We decided to go with the Animas One Touch Ping!!!!!I am more exciteed than he is. We did the saline trial with one for 7 days and we LOVED IT. We really didnt have a reason to pick the Ping other than it was waterproof, the bg meter is the remote (at no additional cost)....and he just liked the way it looked better!!! I really cant wait to get him hooked up to his pump.....Thanks Again
Contributor
slpmom2
Total Posts: 236
Registered on: ‎11-05-2009

So glad you've been able to move forward, and glad to hear that the saline trial went well. Hooray!! Good luck with going live - hope you love it! And feel free to come by and ask any questions - it's a steep learning curve, but well, well worth it.
Occasional Contributor
Alexsmom

Nejuana Tipton (11/8/2010)
Thanks for all your info....You guys are all great.My son is standing in front of me right now with his HALLOWEEN CANDY saying "Mommy may I please have this"...lol...Anyway we have our endo appointment Thursday to get started on his pump! We decided to go with the Animas One Touch Ping!!!!!I am more exciteed than he is. We did the saline trial with one for 7 days and we LOVED IT. We really didnt have a reason to pick the Ping other than it was waterproof, the bg meter is the remote (at no additional cost)....and he just liked the way it looked better!!! I really cant wait to get him hooked up to his pump.....Thanks Again

Congrats! I think you will love the pump. It does take time to learn so just be patient. There will be ups and downs (and highs and lows). And next year, when he's got the candy, you can check the carbs and say, 'sure just let me bolus you.' (or no, we don't have candy for breakfast!)
Barbie,
and Neal, 13 yo, non D