Frequent Responder
regina61709
Total Posts: 230
Registered on: ‎11-03-2009

Normal fasting BG's for children

Hi all,
I've been diagnosed T1 within the last year, and now find myself constantly worried about my children developing it. I have a 14 year old, 11 year old and 4 year old. I have checked their fasting BG's a couple of times before and I checked the older two this morning. My 14 year old daughter's was 85 which sounds good to me. My 11 year old son's was 100...which I'm not sure about. Is that high enough to worry about? Is it abnormal? Pre diabetic? I've searched for the criteria but I'm finding lots of different answers. Can anyone tell me what the ADA criteria is? Or point me to it? Thanks.

Regina
Type 1 Diagnosed 2009
OmniPodding since Oct '09

Contributor
slpmom2
Total Posts: 236
Registered on: ‎11-05-2009

Hi, Regina -

You can get accurate and reliable diagnosis information from NIH here:

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/diagnosis/#diagnosis

Keep in mind that home meters have a 20% variance, so a 100 could be anywhere between 80 and 120. If you have concerns, though, always check in with your pediatrician.

HTH!

JoAnn.
Long Lost Member
denise3099
Total Posts: 67
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

First of all, stop checking your kids bs. I know, I know, I've snuck in a poke here and there to my non-d son, but really there is no need to check someone who doesn't have symptoms. You are going to make everybody crazy. If bs was high enough to dx, they would have symptons, peeing, thirsty, you know. Second, there is really no such thing as "pre-diabetic" for T1. Generally, insulin functions declines rapidly. It's not like becoming increasingly insulin resistant, until you are finally dx with T2. Third, fasting bs is not going to tell you anything since residual pancreastic funtion will be enough to bring bs down say overnight and they'll wake up in range. A better test (if you insist on ignoring the above ) is 30 minutes to an hour after a big ol' glass of oj. That will tell whether the pancreas is reacting apporpirately. Fourth, 100 is fine.
Non-D mom to dd, age 8, dx at age 4.
Contributor
slpmom2
Total Posts: 236
Registered on: ‎11-05-2009

denise3099 (3/25/2010)
First of all, stop checking your kids bs. I know, I know, I've snuck in a poke here and there to my non-d son, but really there is no need to check someone who doesn't have symptoms. You are going to make everybody crazy. If bs was high enough to dx, they would have symptons, peeing, thirsty, you know. Second, there is really no such thing as "pre-diabetic" for T1. Generally, insulin functions declines rapidly. It's not like becoming increasingly insulin resistant, until you are finally dx with T2. Third, fasting bs is not going to tell you anything since residual pancreastic funtion will be enough to bring bs down say overnight and they'll wake up in range. A better test (if you insist on ignoring the above ) is 30 minutes to an hour after a big ol' glass of oj. That will tell whether the pancreas is reacting apporpirately. Fourth, 100 is fine.

Yeah... what she said, too.
Frequent Responder
regina61709

Thank you both...just hearing that I'm sort of acting crazy makes me feel better. If that makes any sense! And thanks for the link. I'm not gonna poke them anymore unless they have symptoms...which they don't right now. And if the pediatrician wants to do formal testing (which he doesn't right now) he will. Today was just one of those days. I woke up obsessing about it and when I saw fasting triple digits I went into a panic attack. Thanks for diffusing it.

Regina
Type 1 Diagnosed 2009

Occasional Contributor
Alexsmom
Total Posts: 252
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

I agree...stop poking them. I know it's tempting. My nephew has 2 cousins with T1 (Alex on his Dad's side and another cousin on his mom's side). This week, he started peeing frequently. It sorta freaked me out the day I noticed it (he comes to my child care) but he wasn't drinking much. Then my brother said they noticed it at home too. I so wanted to test his bg. But I didn't...first of all, he would have freaked probably....second of all, I didn't want to stress mom and dad any more. Well, today, he just went a normal amount of times.....though he did drink a bit more....

As our Dr said, (when we asked about our younger ds) you will know if they get D....you know the symptoms.

Good luck....oh and 100 is probably fine for a fasting bg.
Barbie,
Mom to Alex, 21 yo, T1 dx at 15 yrs
and Neal, 13 yo, non D
Long Lost Member
debbiekamin
Total Posts: 17
Registered on: ‎02-23-2010

I checked my daughter once because she wanted to know what her brother was going through. her number was normal. Then when school started this year, she wet the bed a couple times - which she hadn't done since a very little girl (she's 7) and I started to freak and wanted to check her but she wouldn't let me. I finally realized she was just exhausted from the start of school and the bedwetting stopped after the first two days. Even though I was familiar with the symptoms, it wasn't until my son told me he lost weight that I put it all together and took him to the doctor. I do test myself on occasion, since my mom is T2.
Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Hi,
I agree with the others. I know how hard it is to resist, but seriously if there seem to be symptoms then maybe test, but other than that just know you are always welcome here.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.

Frequent Responder
regina61709

Thanks everyone...I really appreciate the replies and the reassurance.

Regina
Type 1 Diagnosed 2009