Visitor
Staciegw
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎08-13-2012

Glucagon on the school bus

My son has carried his glucagon kit in his supply bag for over a year. A friend of his has carried his daily for 8 years and today Pittsylvania County Schools decided they can't do it anymore. Is there a way to fight that?

mollythed
Total Posts: 6,010
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,101
Solutions: 117
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Glucagon on the school bus

Just a few background questions.  How old are these kids?  Is there anyone on the bus trained to inject the glucagon if it is needed?  Are there separate glucagon kits at home and at school, so that this is intended only for use on the bus, or is it also done to make use of the same kit at home and at school? Where (in what state) do you live?

I suggest you call the ADA at 1-800-DIABETES.  They can help with a clear picture of what your kids' rights are, and strategies for handling the situation.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Visitor
Staciegw

We live in Virginia. It has never been an issue before. We haven't had a problem as of yet, but another student in Pittsylvania County was told today that it is against school policy. It's hard for me to imagine they are comfortabe putting diabetic kids on busses, sometimes for over an hour, with nothing in the event of a sudden drop. His brother rides his bus, is also a type 1, and they take care of each other. We showed my nephew, who rides the bus with my son, what to do in the event of an emergency. It's not so much about having one home and one at school as it is making sure they have something if/when they may need it. It can't be lawful to tell them they can't ride a bus with it or force them to ride without it. If that's the case all the diabetic kids that ride a bus here wouldn't be allowed to even carry their insulin, which they do with no question.

Established Advisor
katies_dad
Total Posts: 412
Registered on: ‎11-08-2009

[ Edited ]

Hi Stacie,

I would be equally frustrated, but I also have to say we don't worry too much on the short term with the Glucogon.  We see that is the last resort (since you're supposed to call the ambulance if you ever administer) and we test (have the nurse test) before any period where it won't be available, making sure that there is enough BG to cover any insluin on board.  All that said we are on a pump, so there is no residual or basal spike for us to worry over.  We will run high if we have pump problem (experience speaks there).

Katie also keeps a couple of rolls of smarties on her at all times.  She can feel her lows coming and will eat the smarties first and check second if she is feeling low.  She is correct in her judgement probably 90% of the time.  Her errors run to wanting to be low so she can have a snack but still being in a normal to high range.

You didn't mention how long your son has been at it.  We have 4 years under our belts now and with Katie 11 and reasonably responsible we trust her to be her primary monitor and care giver when she isn't in our presense.  It was a way different animal though for the first two years.

Good Luck and God Bless,

Katies Dad

Katie diagnosed T1 July 2008, pumping with Animas Ping since June 2009.
Super Advisor
Pam01
Total Posts: 2,227
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

While better safe than sorry, my 2 cents is that in 45 years of being diabetic, I have NEVER needed glucagon, nor ever passed out from a low bg. I have only carried glucagon when traveling.
Pam

Diagnosed Type 1 at age 16 months, over 45 years now
Minimed pump and cgm since July '09. Metformin (insulin resistance), levothyroxine(thyroid), losartan (BP)

I have traveled cross country, and to Canada, UK, Kenya, Mexico, Jamaica, Equador/Galapagos islands, and lived in Egypt for a year.
Visitor
Staciegw

Wyatt is 12 and was diagnosed T1 Oct 16, 2011. So we've less than a year now. His Dad, now 42, was diagnosed T1 when he was 10. So, we've been at it Wyatt's entire life. He's actually quite good at knowing when he's starting to drop. He's personally, had no issues with the lows. He keeps glucose tablets in his pocket. I'm more concerned with the other child who is also an epilleptic. He and his younger brother were both diagnose T1 and epilleptic as 3 year olds. They're very brittle. They're up and down constantly. They're both on pumps and CGMS...to no avail. Even with the additional monitors alarming them of an impending drop, if they drop too quick, they have seizures. They use glucagon more than anyone I have ever met, but it's a necessary evil for them.

Established Advisor
katies_dad
Total Posts: 412
Registered on: ‎11-08-2009

Wow, that is a lot to keep track of.

I would challenge whomever said you can't carry the glucogon.  If you don't have a 504 plan in place I would do it and include carrying the glocogon as part of it.  Even if no one local can administer (not trained) you wouldn't believe how many EMT's and nurses there are in the population.  An off duty nurse or EMT won't have glucogon on them, but would sure be capable of administering to the child. 

I would be at the next school board meeting in I didn't get satisfaction working with the local administrator / principle.

Good Luck and God Bless,

Katies Dad

Katie diagnosed T1 July 2008, pumping with Animas Ping since June 2009.
Advisor
Dragonstar
Total Posts: 1,142
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

I agree with Katie's Dads advice.   Also, ask the school/school board about kids that need Epi-pens.  Do they just go into shock if stung while on the buses?   The Glucagon would be in the same class as an Epi-pen, no matter how much noise they make about it not being. Both keep the kid's from permanent damage if not death.  

*cusses.. stupid schools..*  My boss was just telling me about a parent at his boy's charter school who pulled their daughter from the public one(s) here as they didn't want to deal with her having Type1 and at school.   That parent has her in the charter school and they haven't had any problems with her care there, but the public school just basically said they weren't going to help her, (we're talking a 6th grader here) and she'd have to do everything herself.  I had problems myself with my daughter here in NM and finally pulled her from public school her sophmore year.  I just don't understand why they can't do what the law requires them to do.  *sigh*:smileysad:

Mother of Courtney, Dx'd Type 1 in 2006 at age 14.

Self: Dx'd "Pre"-Diabetic 8/8/14 *and we all know what that means*
Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527

I would contact 1-800-Diabetes and let them know what is happening. They work on areas such as this and will be able to guide you on what to do.

The reason i say this is because it may be school policy but not law or it could be both. I am assuming you live in Pennsylvania just by the name of the county. You may correct me if I am wrong.

My question is do you have a 504 plan for your child. If not I would suggest getting one into place. In it you can say you want a glucagon kit with your child at all times. A diabetes medical management plan is not the same thing and a 504 plan is better protection legally. You will still need a diabetes medical management plan though.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.

Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527

Dragonstar,

I agree with you. I also don't understand why some schools dig in their heels and fight things. To me it would just be easier to help instead of fighting accommodations that children need to be successful in school.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.