Occasional Contributor
footdrummer
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎03-03-2012

Dairy the culprit?

My daughter was recently diagnosed with Type 1. Neither my husband nor I have anyone else in our families with this so we were shocked and confused.  My daughter doesn't have any physical problems and has always had a good diet.  I told the endo I was not understanding how she could have this.  He said there was no reason and that it just strikes people between the ages of 12 and 20.  That didn't make sense to me.  There has to be a reason, some common denominator as to why these older kids and young adults are coming up with this disease.  The doctor did say it was an autoimmune problem.  We do have autoimmune diseases on my mother's side.   I for one, had rheumatoid arthritis but actually cured it through diet. 

My daughter was researching and ran across an article saying that too much dairy over time can encase the insulin rendering it ineffective against the sugar in the bloodstream.  She has always craved dairy like it was going out of style, especially milk.  We always thought it was good for her so never worried about it.  This article sounded like it made sense to me for this reason.  She is now dairy free.  The article also said that if this is the cause then it can be reversed.  We don't know if it will work or how long it will take but it's worth the effort. 

If anyone else out there has children or young adults that were shockingly diagnosed with Type 1 for no apparent reason that were big dairy cravers could you please let me know?  Or if anyone has heard about this research involving dairy can you please respond with any information you have.  I feel like we may be on to something and am hopeful but am willing to hear any other ideas.  Thanks.

Advisor
brwneyedgrl
Total Posts: 98
Registered on: ‎07-07-2011

Re: Dairy the culprit?

I remember having some of these feeling myself. My son is the only type 1 diabetic in the family as far as my husband and I know.  There is a rumor of type 2 on my husband side but that is it. 

I did my own Google search on dairy and diabetes and this is what I came up with. 
dairy helps cut the risk of type 2 diabetes here 

and then I found this article here

this one goes back and forth that dairy might be one of the many culprits that can help bring on type 1 diabetes.

I would love to see the article your daughter found.  I personally don't think dairy is a culprit but I do think that too much milk is bad. My oldest son a non diabetic loves milk and I have always limited how much he got 8 oz 3 times a day.

Good luck in your search.  I don't think you did anything wrong as a parent.  In my opinion is that your daughter had a slight weakness in her immune system and it finally got triggered.

Leia

Avion age 9 (autistic), Sassi age 7, Zidan age 6 (autistic, type 1 as of age 4 1/2)

Occasional Contributor
footdrummer
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎03-03-2012

I couldn't help but notice you mentioned you have children with autism. Just to let you know, my Mary Kay director had an autistic child. She searched and found treatment to reverse his autism. He was recognized as a recovered child by the autism research institute. Her web site is Laurasantos.com if you are interested in finding out about her journey.
Thanks for replying. I will have to check with my daughter to see where she found the article.
Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,802
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

[ Edited ]

footdrummer wrote:

My daughter was recently diagnosed with Type 1. Neither my husband nor I have anyone else in our families with this so we were shocked and confused.  My daughter doesn't have any physical problems and has always had a good diet.  I told the endo I was not understanding how she could have this.  He said there was no reason and that it just strikes people between the ages of 12 and 20.  That didn't make sense to me.  There has to be a reason, some common denominator as to why these older kids and young adults are coming up with this disease.  The doctor did say it was an autoimmune problem.  We do have autoimmune diseases on my mother's side.   I for one, had rheumatoid arthritis but actually cured it through diet. 

My daughter was researching and ran across an article saying that too much dairy over time can encase the insulin rendering it ineffective against the sugar in the bloodstream.  She has always craved dairy like it was going out of style, especially milk.  We always thought it was good for her so never worried about it.  This article sounded like it made sense to me for this reason.  She is now dairy free.  The article also said that if this is the cause then it can be reversed.  We don't know if it will work or how long it will take but it's worth the effort. 

If anyone else out there has children or young adults that were shockingly diagnosed with Type 1 for no apparent reason that were big dairy cravers could you please let me know?  Or if anyone has heard about this research involving dairy can you please respond with any information you have.  I feel like we may be on to something and am hopeful but am willing to hear any other ideas.  Thanks.

While the development of diabetes is related to genes, it also takes something in the environment to trigger it. While you or your husband do not have diabetes, you may still may have passed the genes on to you daughter. Here is a link to the American Diabetes Association's page on what might trigger type 1 and type 2 diabetes. It says nothing about dairy as a trigger. I'm sorry if I am giving you something you may have read before.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

On 9/5/14 had amputation of my right leg, below the knee.

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Frequent Advisor
t1wayne
Total Posts: 1,033
Registered on: ‎10-30-2011

Footdrummer... The notion that diabetes is inherited and runs in families relates primarily to T2 diabetics, where genetics has been established and well documented.  But T1 does not have such a history, primarily because T1's didn't start reproducing until the 1930's; insulin was not used until the 1920's, and a T1 diagnosis was a death sentence.  Today, researchers believe T1 is inherited as a recessive gene which if it comes from both parents, will leave the offspring more susceptible; then, if certain environmental factors are present, the disease may manifest itself.  It is an autoimmune disease, wherein one's own immune system destroys the insulin producing cells in the pancreas, rendering the patient diabetic.  The trigger is suspected to be a virus (one or more of many); especially typical childhood diseases...  hence the appearance of the disease, HISTORICALLY, in young children (after exposure to mumps, measles, rubella, chicken pox, etc).  It is possible that the successful use of vaccines to avoid these illnesses may have something to do with the appearance of the disease later in life than it use to be seen, after exposure to other viruses.  In all likelihood, the genetic die was cast when your daughter was conceived, and the trigger was simply the environment in general.  James provided a useful link to a summary of the genetics involved, though it is very basic.  I have been a T1 since 1966, when I was eleven.  I was breastfed as an infant, and began eating solid foods at a normal point in time (2 of the potential factors mentioned in the ADA article) and drank a "normal" amount of milk.. Nothing excessive.  I am the only diabetic on either side of my family.  Your best course of action at this juncture, I think, is to learn as much as you can about managing the disease, and waste no time on the "blame game".  Stuff happens in life, both good and bad, and what's important is how we deal with it.  My best wishes to you and your daughter, Good Luck!!  w.

Wayne T1 May 1966
MDI; 46u Lantus Basal
Super Advisor
jpg391

T1Wayne wrote:

But T1 does not have such a history, primarily because T1's didn't start reproducing until the 1930's; insulin was not used until the 1920's, and a T1 diagnosis was a death sentence

Do you mean to say that T1's did not start having babys until the 1930's? That's what it looks like your saying.

James G

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
Frequent Advisor
t1wayne

James - essentially, that was what I said.  T1's diagnosed before the 1920's DIED in childhood.  Life expectancy after diagnosis was measured in weeks or days.  Before the introduction of insulin, the disease was an immediate death sentence, and since LADA wasn't recognised until a few decades later, we just don't know, or have stats on it.  It's also important to note that "juvenile diabetes" (as it was called, based entirely on age and the "brittleness" of the patient) was recognised by the Greeks over 2,000 years ago.  The researchers Banting and Best "discovered" insulin, and managed to recover and process it into usable form, in the late 1920's.  I forget the name of their first patient, but he lived a long life after they got him on insulin.  But prior to that, no T1's lived to adulthood, and while I'm presuming they didn't reproduce as a result of that, I suppose I could be wrong in a few isolated cases ... but they'd have to have been very young fathers, and there wouldn't be any mothers; pregnancy is tough today for diabetics, it was impossible back then.  w.

Wayne T1 May 1966
MDI; 46u Lantus Basal
Frequent Advisor
t1wayne

Footdrummer - I didn't address the milk issue in my post, but I did remember something about it, and I looked it up.  The initial linkage of dairy to T1 diabetes was based on a Finnish study about 1998, which found dairy products to be a POTENTIAL environmental trigger for T1.  But this was based on certain dairy antibodies, specifically the HLA=DQB1 genotype, and fits into the model described in the article James referenced, as one of the "triggers".  I am not familiar with the mechanism you describe (encasement of insulin).  In any event, Good Luck!  w.

Wayne T1 May 1966
MDI; 46u Lantus Basal
Super Advisor
jpg391

T1Wayne wrote:

James - essentially, that was what I said.  T1's diagnosed before the 1920's DIED in childhood.  Life expectancy after diagnosis was measured in weeks or days.  Before the introduction of insulin, the disease was an immediate death sentence, and since LADA wasn't recognised until a few decades later, we just don't know, or have stats on it.  It's also important to note that "juvenile diabetes" (as it was called, based entirely on age and the "brittleness" of the patient) was recognised by the Greeks over 2,000 years ago.  The researchers Banting and Best "discovered" insulin, and managed to recover and process it into usable form, in the late 1920's.  I forget the name of their first patient, but he lived a long life after they got him on insulin.  But prior to that, no T1's lived to adulthood, and while I'm presuming they didn't reproduce as a result of that, I suppose I could be wrong in a few isolated cases ... but they'd have to have been very young fathers, and there wouldn't be any mothers; pregnancy is tough today for diabetics, it was impossible back then.  w.

Thanks for the information. I'm not that familiar with the history of type 1 diabetes.

James G

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
81mg Asprin once a day
Advisor
Dragonstar
Total Posts: 1,102
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

You have to watch these three videos then!!  So interesting on how insulin was discovered then produced to help T1's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWVuCDQKB5k 

is the first one.  The other two in the series are on the list to the right.

Mother of Courtney, Dx'd Type 1 in 2006 at age 14.

Self: Dx'd "Pre"-Diabetic 8/8/14 *and we all know what that means*