Long Lost Member
Sheila
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎11-11-2010

Bumps on legs and ankles???

My son (17 yrs) has type 1 and has white bumps on his lower legs and ankles,we saw a dermatologist yesterday and she took a biopsy but we wont have the results until December 3rd.I am worrying myself to death and thought maybe someone might have some info.Thanks!!

Mikey's Mom
dx 5/2004
Occasional Contributor
Alexsmom
Total Posts: 252
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

I had white bumps (very flat bumps but bumps) on my feet at one time. I hadn't thought anything of it...I'm getting old (48) and have an assortment of weird things going on. But my Dr said they were a sign of high triglycerides (sp?) or something to do with cholesterol. I've brought my cholesterol down and the bumps are gone.

I know that Alex's endo expressed concern about his cholesterol at his last appt and I understand it can be more of an issue for diabetics. I hope that's all it is for your son.
Barbie,
Mom to Alex, 21 yo, T1 dx at 15 yrs
and Neal, 13 yo, non D
Frequent Advisor
gsmom1
Total Posts: 376
Registered on: ‎11-03-2009

Hi my son is 15. I will ask him about white bumps. Barbie I'm glad you mentioned the cholesterol. We just had 3 month appointment with endo and my son's blood pressure was high and cholesterol was a concern. He is in good shape, tries to manage his blood sugar, so I don't know. I have always worried that being in dka at diagnosis might have done some damage. Ah well. I have noticed when he goes through a round of high blood sugar, his face breaks out more. Let us know how it goes. It is lousy you have to wait so long for the results.
G 18 diagnosed 3/22/08
Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

alexsmom (11/11/2010)
I had white bumps (very flat bumps but bumps) on my feet at one time. I hadn't thought anything of it...I'm getting old (48) and have an assortment of weird things going on. But my Dr said they were a sign of high triglycerides (sp?) or something to do with cholesterol. I've brought my cholesterol down and the bumps are gone.

I know that Alex's endo expressed concern about his cholesterol at his last appt and I understand it can be more of an issue for diabetics. I hope that's all it is for your son.

48 is old???? I thought you were only 38 and holding.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.

Occasional Contributor
Alexsmom
Total Posts: 252
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

deafmack (11/11/2010)
alexsmom (11/11/2010)

48 is old???? I thought you were only 38 and holding.

LOL...actually I just celebrated my 20th anniversary of my 28th birthday!
Barbie,
Mom to Alex, 21 yo, T1 dx at 15 yrs
and Neal, 13 yo, non D
Long Lost Member
demopls
Total Posts: 4
Registered on: ‎10-29-2010

Long Lost Member
demopls
Total Posts: 4
Registered on: ‎10-29-2010

When my daughter was first dx Type 1 she also had bumps on her legs and butt.When they tried to get blood from her it was pink due to extremely high triglycerides (19,400)They said the white on the bumps was from her body trying to release all the extra fat in her blood.They had to do a blood transfusion to get rid of all the extra fat and she was put on a very low fat diet.It has been 3 months since and her numbers are now in the normal range and the bumps have disappeared.When I took her to her regular Dr. they misdiagnosed her with something else.