Frequent Advisor
LisaMarie528
Total Posts: 246
Registered on: ‎01-12-2012

restless legs, tingling/numbness in hands and feet

Hi everyone! I am newly dianosed and have been told to monitor BG and loise weight by my GP. I will be retested in Feb. My fasting bg was 146 and trig was 380. So she had the A1C which was within normal. I have been testing for a couple weeks and the highest fasting was 139. So its not extremely high but not normal either. My question is regarding my very bothersome restless legs. It happens in evening and also during car rides and even at work. I also have tingling and numbness in my hands at times. My feet hurt and i do have heel spurs. When I work out on my elyptical my feet go nummb. I do the elyptical because my feet hurt too much to do long walks. Is this related to diabetes? Could I have develped neuropathy prior to diagnosis? Any insights would be greatly appreciated?!
Take Care,
Lisa

Diagnosed Dec 2011, currently managing with diet and exercise
First A1C Dec 2011 was 6.4
Improved to 5.9, Feb 2012
As of May 2012, 5.8
As of August 2012, 5.7
As of Nov 2012, 5.5
As of Feb 2014, 5.4
As of May 2014, 5.9
Treating DM2 with diet and exercise
Meds: Trilipix Omeprazole HCTZ Metoprolol Fish Oil allergy meds and eyedrops for glaucoma (vision fine so far)
Frequent Responder
BusyMama
Total Posts: 61
Registered on: ‎10-12-2011

Re: restless legs, tingling/numbness in hands and feet

I'd want an A1c number not just a doc assurance that it was "normal".  Neuropathy is known to start with blood sugar levels in the pre-diabetic ranges.    I thought I had the worst case of restless leg syndrome on the planet and didn't sleep well because of it. Once diagnosed it passed, or tamed down to a level where I hardly notice it all all - but I aim for under 120 and no more than 140.  I still struggle with am hand numbness, and perhaps some carpal tunnel as well.  Both can be aggravated by diabetes, but can exist independently of it as well.  

So you could find that keeping blood sugars in line is all that you need.  Some folks also added the supplmenet ALA to help heal the nerves if symptoms were persistent.  Some other posters have reported that it can get worse before it gets better so keep on keeping on until the nerves heal.  Side note, if normal blood sugars doesn't make any difference, then be sure your doc checks you out to rule out anything more sinister.  There are several other conditions that can cause neuropathy.

Diagnosed 8-06 Fasting 335 A1C 12.5
Successful Diabetic Pregnancy 2009 A1c 4.3
Current Meds : Humilin N and Humalog with I/C ratio and Metformin
Last A1C May 2011 6.4
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,421
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

If what you are describing is the start of neuropathy, and it might or might not be that, then getting your blood sugar down to a normal range may be enough to reverse those symptoms, although as noted, it could get a bit worse before it gets better.

I am one of those who really suffered in  a similar way to your description, although a lot worse, and who was able to reverse it.. 

Your fasting numbers are diabetic, but as you noted, not that far over the line. Have you also been testing after meals, say 1-2 hours after?  Sometimes that is when the inability to manage blood sugar is the greatest.  If so, by testing then, and using those results to make changes, you can make much quicker progress....

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Frequent Advisor
LisaMarie528
Total Posts: 246
Registered on: ‎01-12-2012

Thank you for the responses. I should have got the number for A1C, but was in a bit of shock at the time. Will find out for sure. Testing after meals is usually at or near 100. Goes up if i eat too much at once or have too much carb. I think I'm more vunerab,e to carbs. The recomended 45 per meal is too much for me. I probably have been spikng for some time. About a year abo my workplace did a screening and mine was over 200. They scared me half to death but my doc tested shortly after that and was ok. I have had restless legs and that numbness when standing or walking for years. My feet tend to swell up by end of day so tbat i loosen ties. I never knew it had anything to do with diabetes. Hum. I will certainly discuss on my visit. I have noticed sincecutting back carbs, loosing ten pounds, and exercising more, that I'm not having restless issues as often, more clear headed, and not peeing and drinking gallons of water so much. My goal is to get tbe bg down low and avoid taking meds as long as possible! I'm on enough now! Thanks again and bless you all for this valuable resource!
Take Care,
Lisa

Diagnosed Dec 2011, currently managing with diet and exercise
First A1C Dec 2011 was 6.4
Improved to 5.9, Feb 2012
As of May 2012, 5.8
As of August 2012, 5.7
As of Nov 2012, 5.5
As of Feb 2014, 5.4
As of May 2014, 5.9
Treating DM2 with diet and exercise
Meds: Trilipix Omeprazole HCTZ Metoprolol Fish Oil allergy meds and eyedrops for glaucoma (vision fine so far)
Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,414
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

Sometimes the neuropathy can act up a little more as you start to get your numbers down... but keeping them down is important.

The other big thing to do is to check your feet for cuts/sores on a regular basis.  You don't want something acting up that you can't feel and getting worse. 

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1