Occasional Responder
Cheri123
Total Posts: 8
Registered on: ‎07-02-2012

"Acetone breath and bad taste in mouth" and Very upset stomach

My husband (age 55) was just diagnosed today with type 2 diabetes.  I'm new to posting so please bear with me.  He's been really nauseas and has a really bad dry mouth.  He also has stressed himself to the max.  Doctor prescribed Citalopram for stress and Metoforim for the diabetes.  He will start the Metoforim in the morning.  He's been eating really small meals (like vegie soup), he's a big guy who is trying to lose weight, he's at around 350 pounds. He's lost about 45 pounds since April.  My big question is does anyone know what he can do about the bad taste in his mouth.  Doctor really didn't say much, I assume once the meds start working that I'm really hopeing it will go away.  It's so hard to see him like this.  I lost my mom to breast cancer a little over a year ago, he's my rock and we weren't up for this, but I guess we have no choice.  I'm sorry to be so lengthly, any help would be greatly appreciated:smileyhappy:  Thank you.

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,396
Topics: 216
High Fives: 1,712
Solutions: 187
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: "Acetone breath and bad taste in mouth" and Very upset stomach

[ Edited ]

Cheri123 wrote:

My husband (age 55) was just diagnosed today with type 2 diabetes.  I'm new to posting so please bear with me.  He's been really nauseas and has a really bad dry mouth.  He also has stressed himself to the max.  Doctor prescribed Citalopram for stress and Metoforim for the diabetes.  He will start the Metoforim in the morning.  He's been eating really small meals (like vegie soup), he's a big guy who is trying to lose weight, he's at around 350 pounds. He's lost about 45 pounds since April.  My big question is does anyone know what he can do about the bad taste in his mouth.

G'day and welcome

The acetone breath is a common sign of ketones, in this case related to blood glucose levels which are too high. The problem should be reduced as he reduces those levels.

That is a significant weight loss since April. I realise he wants to lose weight, but was that all intentional? Excessively high blood glucose levels can also lead to weight loss.

Doctor really didn't say much, I assume once the meds start working that I'm really hopeing it will go away.  It's so hard to see him like this.  I lost my mom to breast cancer a little over a year ago, he's my rock and we weren't up for this, but I guess we have no choice.  I'm sorry to be so lengthly, any help would be greatly appreciated:smileyhappy:  Thank you.

Sorry, but the meds will only be properly effective if he gets his diet and exercise regimen right as a base for the meds to work on. Please ask him to read this; I wrote it with him in mind (click on it): Getting Started

Then invite him to drop in here so we can say g'day to him as well :smileyhappy:

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Occasional Responder
Cheri123

Hi Alan,  thanks for replying to my post.  I might have mislead when I said "hopefully it will go away", I know the diabetes won't, but I sure hope the acetone breath and upset stomach lessen once the meds kick in.  We are so new to this, really very scary,  My blood sugar has been somewhat high too and my weight's too much.  I'm up to 180 pounds and yeah I know way too much, so more than likely I'm gonna be in the same boat too.  I'm trying to lose weight, but it sure was easier to put on than to take off.  Also went back on Citalopram, was on it when my mom got towards the end of her cancer.  Just too much to handle, but like I said no choice.  I will read and try to get my husband to read what you wrote too, he's just been to dizzy to read on computer.  He also got new glasses with biofocals, yeah like bifocals make the nausea worse.  Doctor said his eyes could change again, never mind that it took me 20 years to get him to the eye doctor.  I seem to have 20/20 HIND sight.  

Occasional Responder
Cheri123

Hi Alan, yeah me again.  Do you have any ideas as to how long it might take for the Metiformin to kick in?  Just curious. :smileyhappy:

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,994
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Not Alan, but here's some important information about metformin:  click here

There's also a lot of other information he needs to have about what to eat and how to control this disease, I wrote this for new people to learn the basics:  click here

It seems like a lot to learn at this point, but in time it will seem easier.:smileyhappy:

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Occasional Responder
Cheri123

Hi Lizzy, I sure hope your right, cause I'm really scared.  I lost my dad to lung cancer in 2005 and my mom to breast cancer in 2011.  My husband is my rock and it breaks my heart to see him this way.   I will look at your post that you wrote about, thanks for replying to my post.  I'm really new, so I apologize ahead of time if I get to lengthly with my posts.  To anyone please rein me in if I take up to much post room. Thanks.

alan_s

[ Edited ]

Cheri123 wrote:

Hi Alan, yeah me again.  Do you have any ideas as to how long it might take for the Metiformin to kick in?  Just curious. :smileyhappy:

It varies from a few days to a few weeks. What dose is he starting on?

Making changes to the menu based on feedback from his test results after meals is going to be the best and probably the quickest way to take control, but he should not rush it. Read the info on those links I provided and start investigating which foods are sending him high. Don't make drastic changes, that can be counter-productive. I suggest that each time he sees a post-meal number he doesn't like, cut the carbs in that menu in half next time; don't cut them out altogether. Keep doing that until he starts seeing good numbers. 

A reason for caution is the eye problems you mention. Sudden changes may exacerbate those.

PS His vision is likely to continue to vary during this period of change as he improves. The eyes are directly affected by high blood glucose levels. Until he stabilises at better levels consider buying some cheap "second pair" glasses as a temporary measure; he may need a couple of pairs at different powers. Do not pay for expensive prescription specs until he gains control of this because his prescription may be different then.

Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Occasional Responder
Cheri123

He starts in the morning, with 1-500mg. and 2-500 mg at night.  It's only 11:45 pm.  He's sleeping, but I can't, it's going to be a very long night of worrying, I'm playing the blame myself game, because I am the one who does all the cooking,  He works his tail off and I feel incredibly guilty, it's an awful feeling.  He's pretty good about diets, just have to figure out what.

Advisor
CollegeLady1
Total Posts: 227
Registered on: ‎02-19-2012

Hi Cheri123 and welcome to the boards. Take a deep centering breath, hold, and release.  Better?  Hope so.  Now don't feel guilty and don't blame yourself.  Things can and will get better.  Change takes time and this disease takes time to learn how to treat it and what to do with it.  Remember we are all here to help you.

You mentioned your husband just got bifocals. If he's not worn them before, it can take a week or two to get used to them.  The first few days can be the worst because the lenses throw off the sense of balance.  I was told it's a lot like being sea-sick.  It does get better as one gets used to the new lenses.  I had it for two days when I got my progressive lenses.

The bad or acetone breath can also be the result of medicine combinations or could be an underlying problem with the teeth, molars in particular.  I've lost three teeth to diabetes - no cavities or excessive plaque but my diabetes affected the bone causing the molars to become very loose in the gum and, because they're molars, provided a great place for infection which caused further problems.  My dentist attributes their loss directly to my diabetes and has taken me off nuts permanently to help prevent future infections.  Chips and most crackers are also on my no-no list :smileysad:

You've read excellent advice from Alan and Lizzy in earlier posts and they do have some of the best advice on the boards!  My advice is to start with small, easy changes in your diet such as raw veggies or nuts to snack on rather than an energy bar or candy. You said you do most of the cooking and I presume most of the food shopping.  Start with reading labels and learning about serving sizes.  Meet with a diabetic dietician - you can gain a lot of information.  One change I made was making 1/2+ of my dinner plate is veggies or salad with about 1/4 meat/protein.  I try to keep less than 1/4 of the plate a carb like rice or noodles and I try to limit those to every other night. 

Keep a food journal.  It's something I highly recommend and all you need for it is a pen and a notebook - and to remember to use it :smileyhappy:  I use composition books but any notebook will do.  When I started, it was just food: what time, what the item(s) is, the calorie/carb/fat/protein of the meal or snack and my BG before, 1hr and 2hr.  I've expanded it to include when I take my meds, status of my migraine, water intake and exercise.  Speaking of which, an easy way to get a little more exercise in would be to take a 30+ min walk after dinner. My journal has been a good tool to see trends and helpful for adjusting my meds, etc.

Like I said, small easy changes are a good start in making a difference and you will be more likely to stick with the changes.  Try to be proactive about diabetes - it's no one's fault.  Educate yourself about diabetes - the more you understand it, the better you can deal with it.  I believe Alan published a book on it (very informative) and I know a lot of libraries have books on diabetes you can borrow.  If you need suggestions on books, just ask.  There are lots of people on the boards with lots of suggestions :smileytongue:  Like Lizzy says - knowledge is power.  Learning about the disease and making small changes to start will help you be in control of the disease so you can both live a long, healthy life! 

Amy, Poster Child for Better Living thru Chemicals :smileytongue:

~ The Difficult is the work of the moment; The Impossible just takes a little longer.

San Diego, California
PWD2 diagnosed 2/2003
7/2013 A1C 6.9
Metformin 850mg 3x/day; Glyburide 5mg 2a/1p/day; Actos 30mg 1x/day for T2
Nortriptyline 50mg, Depacote 500mg for migraine
Paroxetine 20mg 1x daily for depression
Simvastatin 10mg 1x daily for cholesterol
Albuterol for asthma daily with exercise and additional as needed
Imitrex 25mg with Naproxen 275mg for migraine
Plus OTC supplements as required
alan_s

Cheri123 wrote:

He starts in the morning, with 1-500mg. and 2-500 mg at night.  It's only 11:45 pm.  He's sleeping, but I can't, it's going to be a very long night of worrying, I'm playing the blame myself game, because I am the one who does all the cooking,  He works his tail off and I feel incredibly guilty, it's an awful feeling.  He's pretty good about diets, just have to figure out what.

There is absolutely no reason for guilt from either of you. Have you read my linked article yet? You must have missed this:

So my first suggestion to any newly diagnosed person reading this is the most important one of all:

It’s NOT your fault. Take a deep breath, sit back, and relax.

Forget the hype and the TV ads about obesity (10-15% of type 2’s are normal or underweight at diagnosis), lifestyle, whatever – that’s in the past, even if it was relevant, and there’s not a damn thing you can do about it.

OK – so you’ve got a flawed glucose/insulin system. I don’t care what label they put on it, or what stage you’re at – what matters is what you intend to do about it.

I hope you are reading this after a good night's sleep. If not, get to bed :smileyhappy:

Then read the rest of that article tomorrow.