Long Lost Member
txladybug
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎06-28-2012

prickly skin

I was diagnosed 3 1/2 yrs ago.  I starting taking 500 mg of metforman.  In denial I take it serious.  However, after a severe scolding from my doctor 2 weeks ago, I am taking this serious.  I am still on metforman.  I am changing my diet and adding exercise. 

For the past hour my skin has had a prickly or pinching sensation.  It is beginning to annoy me.  I just took my blood sugar, it is 113 (119 seems to be my normal, I've been taking it daily now since I saw the doctor and keeping a record).  It is all over my body:  head, face, back, arms, legs, feet....it feels like little fireworks stinging my skin at various points and times. 

Any advice?

d

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,075
Topics: 210
High Fives: 1,619
Solutions: 181
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: prickly skin

txladybug wrote:

I was diagnosed 3 1/2 yrs ago.  I starting taking 500 mg of metforman.  In denial I take it serious.  However, after a severe scolding from my doctor 2 weeks ago, I am taking this serious.  I am still on metforman.  I am changing my diet and adding exercise. 

For the past hour my skin has had a prickly or pinching sensation.  It is beginning to annoy me.  I just took my blood sugar, it is 113 (119 seems to be my normal, I've been taking it daily now since I saw the doctor and keeping a record).  It is all over my body:  head, face, back, arms, legs, feet....it feels like little fireworks stinging my skin at various points and times. 

Any advice?

d

G'day and welcome to the forum.

113 is quite normal and is not the cause of your prickly feeling. Please contact your doctor ASAP to discuss that.

As a separate issue, I suggest you test a little more often than daily if you really intend "taking this serious". Please read this, I wrote it to help you do that (click on it): Test, Review, Adjust

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Long Lost Member
txladybug
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎06-28-2012

thanks for the advice....and yes, i've actually been doing more lately......am. mid afternoon, and before bedtime.  I've also started taking it when I have any "weird" feelings to see if its associated with my bloodsugar.  I've put in a phone call for my doc to call me back.  :smileyhappy:

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,991
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Hi D, welcome aboard!

Since this has just started it could be almost anything.  If you develop any type of redness or a bad rash or especially if you start having any breathing problems you should be seem by a doctor asap.

it could be an allergy or allergic reaction to something, or even the beginning of shingles. Keep a careful eye on it.

It sounds like you only test once a day.  Here's some information that could help you very much in controlling the numbers:  click here .  You're also taking a very small dose of metformin, talking about an increase for that might also help.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

That prickly feeling could be an allergic reaction or it could be a sign of neuropathy. One thing you could try is to take 25mg of Benadryl and see if that stopps that prickly feeling. If that happens then try washing your clothes in a soap free detergent  If you still have that prickly feeling then definitely talk with your doctor about it in fact let your doctor know about the feeling anyway. I think for now you have a mystery on your hands and you will have to become a prickly feeling cause detective. By the way, I get that feeling sometimes as well. It feels like I am being bitten by a lot of tiny bugs.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.