Occasional Visitor
foxiemomma
Total Posts: 4
Registered on: ‎05-15-2012

how high are your blood sugars suppose to raise after eating a meal?

I am having a hard time understanding the blood sugars levels. If I eat a meal the blood sugar usually rises but I think it rises to much because I feel really light headed and nausea and just totally drained after I eat and feel like I need to lay down and I check my blood excessively to the point that i do not even use a lancet i can just squeeze my fingers and the blood will come out because i do not understand the symptoms that my body is having my body seems to react the same way when my sugar is high or low so i dont know what to do i just cant tell if i should eat or if i ate to much

T2 since 9/14/2011 metformin 500 mg daily and a otc multivitamin
Advisor
diabetes86
Total Posts: 718
Registered on: ‎05-08-2012

Re: how high are your blood sugars suppose to raise after eating a meal?

you have givin us no info.

you dont say what your numbers are

what did you eat?

BG numbers

1 before you eat

2 one hour after you eat

3 two hours after you eat

I want my BG to be under 140 all the time.

T2 1986, insulin 2000, T1 08, Omnipod pump 5/13
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,721
Topics: 75
High Fives: 958
Solutions: 111
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Can you please tell us a little more about yourself, and what you are seeing on your meter?  Right now, your question is so broad that it is hard to know where to start.

Have you been diagnosed with diabetes?  Type 1 or Type 2? How long ago?  (Do you know your fasting number or A1C?)

Did your doctor give you any goals?

Has your doctor referred you to a diabetes educator or classes?

Are you taking any medications or insulin to help manage your diabetes?  What kinds and how much?

Pick one meal and describe what happened, including actual numbers, and details like

• blood glucose level at the start of the meal
  • what you ate, and how much (and how many carbs, if you know)
  • results of any after-meal tests (how long after the start of the meal, and number)

If you want to describe more than one meal, go ahead, but even one will give us a place to start.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,588
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,428
Solutions: 161
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

FOXIEMOMMA wrote:

I am having a hard time understanding the blood sugars levels. If I eat a meal the blood sugar usually rises but I think it rises to much because I feel really light headed and nausea and just totally drained after I eat and feel like I need to lay down and I check my blood excessively to the point that i do not even use a lancet i can just squeeze my fingers and the blood will come out because i do not understand the symptoms that my body is having my body seems to react the same way when my sugar is high or low so i dont know what to do i just cant tell if i should eat or if i ate to much

G'day and welcome.

To answer your initial question, please read this: Blood Glucose Targets

However, I think you may need more information than that. So do we, if you'd like us to offer any suggestions.

Would you mind giving us some details of how you manage your diabetes, what dietary regimen you follow, what test numbers you see at these times and what your doctor has to say about your problems, especially the ability to bleed without lancing?

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Occasional Visitor
foxiemomma

thanks for the response  i am type 2 and was just diagnoised in sept 2011 my last when first diagnoised my a1c was 12.5 but on my last visit in march  it was 5.5 i went to the educator and they told me to eat 1900 calories 3 carbs for breakfast 4 carbs for lunch and 3 carbs for dinner and 3 snacks a day of 2 carbs each i was taking victoza but i am no longer taking it i was taking 2 metformins of 500 mgs a day but the doctor said i can take a half of 1 a day but i continue to take 1 per day because my sugar is irregular

for breakfast im usually on the run so i will eat i packet of instant grits or oatmeal, a low carb yogurt, turkey sausage or a slice of cheese and milk or applesauce or fruit cup

for lunch my big meal i usually have a healthy choice meal because i dont have to count the calories or carbs to much and sometimes i have one for dinner or soup some crackers or a half of roast beef sandwich i havent quite been able to prepare food in the right portions yet so this has been working for me

snacks are usually pretzels, fruit cups, sugar free jello/ pudding, or those individual packets of cheese crackers

when i wake up in the morning my sugar is usually about 85 or 90  i try not to eat unless my sugar is within that range so that it doesnt go up to high i would like for my sugar to be under 120 because i read a book that said it will extend your life up to 15 years and i generally feel ill when its over 125 but lately it has been going as high as 170 and as low as 65 within 2 hours

i have been able to loose over 50 pounds and get my a1c in normal range with the foods i have been eating but lately i can start out with a blood level of 85 and in a hour it it can be up to 170 and then back down again so im wondering if thats normal

Occasional Visitor
foxiemomma

my doctor has not given me a target range but my last a1c was 5.5 and a average of 85

Advisor
diabetes86
Total Posts: 718
Registered on: ‎05-08-2012

Your "Carb" is really 15 grams so your 3 carb lunch is 45gr of carbs. That's a lot for most of us.  Your A1c is great so maybe your carbs are OK

you STILL have not said what your BG numbers are. After you eat (1hour) cant give advise initial we know what your numbers are.

An A1c is average BG. So a BG of  10 and  and 170 have an average of 90 however

at a BG of 10 you will be unconscious and on the doorstep (if not dead) of death. And at 170 you are doing damage to your body that will end up over many years.

T2 1986, insulin 2000, T1 08, Omnipod pump 5/13
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,455
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Your 5.5 A1c is very good and you have done pretty well with the carb load you are taking in.

However your 170s after eating are higher than you want to go.  It sounds like you have some reactive hypoglcycemia going on. When you eat more carbs than you really can handle, your blood sugar goes up to 170.  Then your insulin takes over, too late, but perhaps too much, and you drop way down. Even if you only drop back down ot a normal level of say, 80 or 70 or even 90, you feel weird because of the rapidity of the drop.

Sometimes a low can feel like high blood sugar and vice-versa. Particularly so if you are rapidly changing and test only at one extreme rather than the other and it is the change that is making you feel strange.

You can test for reactive hypoglycemia after you next breakfast with 45 grams of carbs, or next dinner with 60 grams by testing every half hour. If you have that rapid rise followed by the rapid drop, reactive hypoglycemia is, to some extent, what is going on.

the solution is fewer carbs at one sitting. That way you don;t go so high, and then you don't get the massive insulin response, and then you don;t go low. You might need to snack a bit more frequently to avoid drifting low if all you do is drop carbs at mealtime and don't replace them at some other time.

Reactive Hypoglycemia can be hidden by a good A1c like yours simply because the A1c reflects your average glucose level, without taking into account the extent ot the fluctuations...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...