Occasional Responder
dteinc24
Total Posts: 9
Registered on: ‎01-14-2012

diabetes and chewing tobacco....

[ Edited ]

Has anyone heard of this raising your sugar levels ?

Super Advisor
Spookiesmom
Total Posts: 1,453
Registered on: ‎02-17-2010

Re: diabetes and chewing tobacco....

Can't say about glucose, does raise your oral cancer risk
Barb T2 Omni Pod since 1-09
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

I have no idea; I doubt I will ever need to know.

You've asked about Beta prostate and chewing tobacco. The most likely things to raise your blood glucose levels are the carbohydrates you eat.

Would you like to tell us a little more about yourself or your diabetes?

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Occasional Responder
dteinc24

Hey Allen,   haven't been told I've got it yet......I'm just assuming I do because of my levels...  what I don't get is how my levels can be 200 in the morn, when I haven't ate or drank anything for about 12 hrs.....! If you're not putting sugar in your body for that long , how is the level still high? Do i have to go 30 days or so of NO sugar intake to see if my pancreas really isn't working ?  I'm just kinda hoping !!!!!!!!

Occasional Responder
dteinc24

Hey Barb,  yeh I know I should quit it !!!! :smileyhappy:

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,988
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

dteinc24 wrote:

Hey Allen,   haven't been told I've got it yet......I'm just assuming I do because of my levels...  what I don't get is how my levels can be 200 in the morn, when I haven't ate or drank anything for about 12 hrs.....! If you're not putting sugar in your body for that long , how is the level still high? Do i have to go 30 days or so of NO sugar intake to see if my pancreas really isn't working ?  I'm just kinda hoping !!!!!!!!

Not Alan, but what are your levels?  Over 200 is definitely diabetes.

It's very possible for your numbers to be high in the morning for many different reasons.  Here's one this that would explain it:  click here 

You have to understand that it's not sugar you need to cut, it's carbohydrates that need to be controlled.  Sugar is just another carb.

If you want to understand more about diabetes and what needs to be done click here.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,537
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

My first reaction to his was that, regarless of the oral cancer and stained clothes and all, chewing tobacco is EXERCISE, so it probably lowers blood sugar levels.

But if that were true, it would have to also be true of chewing bagels...

<never mind>

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

dteinc24 wrote:

OK, lets forget all about herbal supplements and tobacco for the moment. They are a trivial distraction from the main issue.

I am presuming from your comment that you have access to a meter and that you have tested around 200 at least twice. In that case, in my lay opinion, you are already an undiagnosed type 2 diabetic.You are a long way past the point where chawing baccy or herbs will have any significant effect at all.

Please do two things for yourself.

1. Make an appointment to see your doctor for full diagnostic testing ASAP.

2. While you wait for that appointment read this (click on it): Getting Started

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)