Visitor
Rubyslipper
Total Posts: 4
Registered on: ‎04-27-2012

a1c 6.5

I have been having some problems lately so my doctor ran some tests.  She called today and left a message saying my a1c was 6.5.  She asked me to do some research and decide if I thought I could control it with diet and exercise or if I wanted medication.  I called back and left a message (phone tag) saying that I haven't had much success with weight loss or exercise and had some questions.  Just waiting for a call back.  She's a great doctor and has a good nurse so I'm sure I will get some answers later.  In the meantime I am looking at all kinds of things on the website here and thought I would join the discussion group also.  I don't know if this reading means pre-diabetic, diabetic or borderline.  I also know I am going to have to get serious about the weight problem. 

The main thing I am concerned about right now is telling my husband and family.  Stupid, right?  I just have a feeling that my husband will be supportive but with an "I told you so" smirk.  He's very supportive of me with all my illnesses, surgeries and  such but he doesn't have a lot of tolerance for over-weight people (me being one of them).

While writing this, my doctor called back and they are also putting me on medication and want me to recheck in three months.  Right now they are considering me pre-diabetic but we will see how it shakes out in a few months.  Guess I'm not really asking questions but sending out feelers right now.  Thanks for having such a great discussion board.

Frequent Responder
SugarFrosted
Total Posts: 818
Registered on: ‎11-07-2011

Re: a1c 6.5

Hello and welcome to the forums, Ruby! Sorry you needed to look for us, but glad you found us and that we can be here to help!

First thing, smirking and saying "I told you so" is not very supportive, in my opinion. Ignore that sort of attitude! You drew the short straw in the genetic drawing, that's all. There are people all over the world who are enormously overweight who do NOT have diabetes, and also people who are thin as a stick who do. It is NOT something you DID.  No guilt required. Just action to take back control.

Pre-diabetes and diabetes...not really very much difference.  Kind of like being a "little bit" pregnant. The treatment is the same. Control what goes into your mouth plus get up off the couch and move. 

I told my MD I wanted to try to deal with my blood glucose (BG) with diet and exercise, no meds. He was skeptical. But I was determined. It was not so much about losing weight, but keeping my BG within acceptable range. He knew my history of gain/lose/gain/lose/gain my whole life. He had every right to be skeptical. But it was as if a switch was flipped in my head. I was NOT going to let this control me, I was in charge. Ever had someone tell you you CAN'T do something, or they "dare" you? You want to prove to them all the more they are wrong and you CAN do it!  That was me.  So my MD gave me a month to try.  I reduced my carbs and increased my activity. I learned to test my BG to learn how certain foods affected me. 

After a month I went back for lab work and the nurse said "you've lost 20 lbs." Really? I never even thought about losing weight because of my poor success in the past. My lab numbers were better and I was given 2 more months.  New labs after 2 months  were even better and amazingly, 20 lbs more gone.  I had no idea. I was walking after each meal for about 20 minutes, that's all, no strenuous sweaty workouts. My mealplan was lots of fresh veggies and lean meat with limited carbs. Very filling, not really hungry between meals.  A very new reality for me.  Anyway, my MD became a believer as I continued to improve and lose more weight.  After a while I bought a stationary recumbent bike to ride while I watch TV. Long story short, I lost 105 lbs in 18 months, which I have kept off for 17 months now. My lab numbers have all been within normal, non-diabetic range since 6 months after diagnosis. I plan to keep it that way as long as I am able.

You can do most anything if you set your mind to it. You are lucky that you have been given a warning, and have discovered your situation early on, before any complications. The list of complications is long and horrible. 

Others will come along with suggestions for getting started. I just wanted to give you a living example of what is possible. 

Read everything. Ask lots of questions.  You are among friends. 

You're among friends here! :smileyhappy:
SugarFrosted aka AnnaM, retired ER/Oncology-Chemotherapy nurse
Little Rock, Arkansas
Diagnosed Type 2, Jun'09 at age 57
Jun'09 A1c: 7.2 F 154 wt 265 lbs
Dec'09 A1c: 5.5 F 80
Jun'10 A1c: 5.4 F 82
Dec'10 A1c: 5.2 F 71 wt 160 lbs
Jun'11 A1c: 5.3 F 76
Mar'12 A1c: 5.5 F 80
Dec'12 A1c: 5.1 F 70
Jan'14 A1c: 5.3 F 77
Aug'14 A1c: 5.4 F 78
Reduced-Carb Mealplan & 1 hr Daily Exercise! NO Meds!
105 lb total weightloss
Self-employed baker/cake designer since 1988...life doesn't get much harder for a diabetic, imo. My Online Cake Gallery: http://www.sugarfrosted.com/
Visitor
Rubyslipper

Wow!  What you have said is so encouraging!  I truly appreciate the quick resonse and support AND your success story.  I understand what you mean about taking control of the situation.  I also have Restless Legs Syndrome.  I wish diet and exercise helped with that (it does but in a different way) but one thing I have learned is that the more information you have the better armed you are.  I have already ordered a couple of books from this website.  I just need to sit down and start reading.

And you are right, my hubbies attitude isn't really helping is it? 

Super Advisor
ffmaya
Total Posts: 1,532
Registered on: ‎10-29-2011

Rubyslipper, welcome to the forum.  Have you been given a meter?  If so how much are you testing and what are your numbers?  Don't worry if you don't have one yet you can get one through prescription or purchase one w/o if you have no insurance or your insurance doesn't cover it.  The meter tells us how well we do in our food choices and that lets us make the appropriate adjustments.

Though it all seems super overwhelming right now, you will get the hang of it and come out the other side smiling and having your BG under control. 

Ask as many questions as you need to and there will probably be quite a few.

Farida

" Remember, Google is your friend"

Dx'd Type II on Halloween 2011
Current 8/20/14 - A1c 5.8
Metformin 1000 mg twice daily
Flexeril 10mg for Fibromyalgia
Gabapentin 3200mg for Fibromyalgia
Clonazepam 1mg for Anxiety
Frequent Responder
SugarFrosted
Total Posts: 818
Registered on: ‎11-07-2011

You are so right! An informed patient is a better patient. 

I was an ER nurse for a long time...it was part of my job to make sure patients understood what was happening and what they should do, how they should take care of themselves, after they left the ER. We had forms filled with information for most every condition or injury, for the patients to take home. There were always questipns, and I did my best to explain whatever was confusing. Conversely (even though I was a nurse) I encountered a number of medical professionals who, when I asked particular questions about my own health, gave me essentially a pat on the head and was told "don't you worry about that, let ME be the doctor." Grrrr! Not helpful! I searched for and found a new MD on more than one occasion after such treatment. Your medical conditions are YOURS and so are your medical records. Ask for copies of all your lab results. You have the right to know. You have the right to ask questions and be informed honestly. To be treated with respect... 

Which brings me back to your husband.  Have you told him that his attitude is not helping you? If he was MY husband, I would  tell him to be part of the solution, NOT part of the problem. "Support me! Don't knock me down!" Of course, he is yours  and I don't know your situation. Be your own best advocate, for your health, and emotionally. Did you know that stress can raise your BG? I have found that many people who have never had issues with weight control have NO idea what a battle it is.  If this is the case with your husband, consider him ignorant on the subject and try to enlighten him...with love. 

Ask your MD for a prescription for a meter and strips. Your insurance should pay for at least part of it. Also ask to be referred  to diabetes classes to get a kind of overview of how to proceed.  Generally, at least in my case, the classes were ionformative, but the dietitian recommended too many carbs at each meal. Only your meter can tell you how many carbs you can eat without adversely affecting your BG.

Look for posts by lizzylou  and  alan_s. They have links in the posts to excellent information about when and how to test, what to eat, etc.

Looking forward to hearing more from you! 

You're among friends here! :smileyhappy:
SugarFrosted aka AnnaM, retired ER/Oncology-Chemotherapy nurse
Little Rock, Arkansas
Diagnosed Type 2, Jun'09 at age 57
Jun'09 A1c: 7.2 F 154 wt 265 lbs
Dec'09 A1c: 5.5 F 80
Jun'10 A1c: 5.4 F 82
Dec'10 A1c: 5.2 F 71 wt 160 lbs
Jun'11 A1c: 5.3 F 76
Mar'12 A1c: 5.5 F 80
Dec'12 A1c: 5.1 F 70
Jan'14 A1c: 5.3 F 77
Aug'14 A1c: 5.4 F 78
Reduced-Carb Mealplan & 1 hr Daily Exercise! NO Meds!
105 lb total weightloss
Self-employed baker/cake designer since 1988...life doesn't get much harder for a diabetic, imo. My Online Cake Gallery: http://www.sugarfrosted.com/
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Rubyslipper wrote:

Wow!  What you have said is so encouraging!  I truly appreciate the quick resonse and support AND your success story.  I understand what you mean about taking control of the situation.  I also have Restless Legs Syndrome.  I wish diet and exercise helped with that (it does but in a different way) but one thing I have learned is that the more information you have the better armed you are.  I have already ordered a couple of books from this website.  I just need to sit down and start reading.

Hubby will change as you both learn more about this condition.

Concentrate on that for the moment. Diet and exercise can help a great deal, particularly at this early stage when you are only 6.5%. But it must be the right diet.

This may help you find it: Getting Started

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Visitor
Rubyslipper

Thanks so much for all the support and information.  I have a lot of studying to do!  I did want to let you know that my husband has been much better than I thought with this.  No snide remarks or ignoring the situation.  He's actually concerned and already somewhat knowledgeable about it.  Now to gain some self-control on my eating and exercise. 

Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,553
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

Rubyslipper wrote:

You may find out that your RLS is not RLS, but your nerves acting up from the sugar swings. I went from assumed RLS to diabetic.  No promises, but getting your numbers under control might offer you a shot.

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1
cadiman
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎05-03-2012

6.5 is awesome i need  the same because im a bus driver and 6.5 passes federal guide lines for diabeties type II

Visitor
Rubyslipper

The diabetes could be making my RLS worse but I have had it for over 30 years and the diabetes is recent.  I have lost 3 lbs in the past week--really watching what I eat and that even includes going out for dinner one evening!  My husband is much more supportive than I ever would have guessed and the information and support received on here has been great.  Thanks so much to everyone!  I will keep you posted.