Frequent Responder
tonymuljat
Total Posts: 242
Registered on: ‎07-22-2011

Why is Blood Glucose Test done fasting?

Okay, I'm a newbie here.  So bear with me.  It seems to me like the measurements that doctors are looking at is the HAC1.  And this measurement (in laymans terms, I know this is not 100% accurate), is a 120 day look at your blood glucose levels (or plasma, etc).  So, while we are all trying to monitor and control our blood glucose by monitering it as we do, we are doing so in an effort to either lower or maintain a "healthy" HAC1.  Since the HAC1 test measures a 120 look, it seems to me like this blood test wouldn't matter if it were done fasting or not.  One meal is not going to have even a miniscule impact on your HAC1 score.  So, why do we need to fast when we have this test done along with our blood glucose test?  The blood glucose test is just a snapshot of recent blood glucose measurements, and the goal is really the HAC1.  So fasting for these tests does not make "common" sense to me.
AC1 - Diagnosed 10/6/10 - 10.8
1/26/11 - 6.8
7/8/11 - 7.5
1/14/12 - 5.6
Next bloodwork 3/12, for LDL only
Triglycerides 134 as of 1/14/12.  Metformin 2 x 850 mg.  Glipizide 1 x 10 mg, twice daily.  The glip I have down-dosed myself.  Also on Metoprolol (2x 100mg), Fenofibrate (taken off 1/14/12)(160mg), Simvistatin (20mg), and Lisonopril/Diurectic combo(20-25mg).  Morning BG's seem to be highest of day in general, but are improving. Very low carb diet.
I don't want to eat just one piece of bread, I want four.
Long Term Goal:  5% club.  Short Term Goal, improve my next Triglyceride number and continue my modest exercise program (exercise not going so well 9/28/11).
Frequent Responder
Shelma
Total Posts: 61
Registered on: ‎03-29-2011

I am fairly new also but I think I can answer your question.  The HA1C doesn't have to be a fasting test but they usually do it the same time as the fasting glucose so you only have to be stuck once with the needle.  You can not achieve a "healthy A1C" unless you get the daily blood sugars under control.  So testing daily is very important.  Maybe one meal isn't going to effect the A1C but if you have too many meals that are high they will.
"The joy of living life is his who has the heart to demand it.Theodore Roosevelt

Diagnosed Type 2 on 3/29/2011 with a  A1C of 12.9
3/2012 A1C 6.0
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,562
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

An A1c test can be done anytime. If fasting is required when it is done, it is because of other tests that are being done at the same time--which might be fasting blood glucose, or a lipid panel, or other tests.
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Frequent Responder
tonymuljat

Morris, thanks.  I think my question is simply, why does the blood glucose test need to be done fasting?  We as type 2 diabetics take our blood glucose readings before we eat, after we eat, when we wake up (not necessarily 12 hours after we go to bed...).  I've read here that some people's blood glucose is high when they first wake up in the morning and goes down after they have their first meal...

So, what is the "magic" of having to test the blood glucose while fasting, particularly if the HAC1 test is really the "litmus" test....
1/26/11 - 6.8
7/8/11 - 7.5
1/14/12 - 5.6
Triglycerides 134 as of 1/14/12.  Metformin 2 x 850 mg.  Glipizide 1 x 10 mg, twice daily.  The glip I have down-dosed myself.  Also on Metoprolol (2x 100mg), Fenofibrate (taken off 1/14/12)(160mg), Simvistatin (20mg), and Lisonopril/Diurectic combo(20-25mg).  Morning BG's seem to be highest of day in general, but are improving. Very low carb diet.
Long Term Goal:  5% club.  Short Term Goal, improve my next Triglyceride number and continue my modest exercise program (exercise not going so well 9/28/11).
Frequent Responder
SpeechLady85
Total Posts: 619
Registered on: ‎11-03-2009

Hi Tony
Good questions. glad you are actively participating!  I know how puzzling this all is at first. I'd suggest that you look at the tests with a bit different focus -
- the A1c tells us how we are doing over time, and our daily Fasting (FBG), pre-meal, and post-meal (PP) testing results are immediate info we use to determine how we are doing (very short term).
I/we want to know what the effects are of what I've eaten, so I can adjust my food intake to maximize keeping my BG#'s in target range:
 - the day before/night before foods show up in my fasting BG # (and I believe the 'magic' # of hours is 8, not 12),
-testing before a meal,(think baseline),  then either 1 hr or 2 hr after (PP= post prandial) is done to find out the effects of whatever was eaten.
This frequency of testing doesn't have to be life-time. Many people here have built up a personal knowledge base on how their body reacts to foods - yes there are generalities, but each of us has different reactions to different foods.
Some excellent info I suggest you read are on Alan S's and on Lizzylou's profile, Morris is a hiking 'D' encyclopaedia (meant in the nicest way) Hope this helps.
Sorry I am so wordy, it's an occupational hazard,  Vicki
Live (to the max), Love (and hopefully be loved), Laugh (at every opportunity),
Eat (healthily), Pray (if it suits you),
Love (yourself enough - to put your  health first).
Diagnosed 2001,  I am a work in progress = progressing to not let 'D' control me - with the help of my 'D' family here.
trisha01
Total Posts: 6,354
Topics: 307
High Fives: 674
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 72
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Frequent Responder
tonymuljat

Vicki, thanks....  BTW, when I go to the lab for my blood testing, they always ask "have you been fasting for 12 hours".  So, if Type 2 diabetics are liable to have "dawn phenomenon", and to me it makes sense that most people would want to do their fasting lab work done in the am (after  you wake up and before breakfast), then it still seems to me like fasting Blood Glucose is not going to give the doc much info.  In fact, it is very possible that fasting blood work (based upon what I have read here in the past two days) may indeed give the doctor a false reading on what your blood glucose levels really are....???????
1/26/11 - 6.8
7/8/11 - 7.5
1/14/12 - 5.6
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,991
Solutions: 142

I think my question is simply, why does the blood glucose test need to be done fasting?

It doesn't.  Usually when they do blood tests they also do a lipid (cholesterol) test, which does have to be done fasting.

Most doctor's realize that the BG reading at that time is after fasting for a period of time and don't really look at it as a "normal" reading.  It's only one reading of many you take on a daily basis.  You could also point it out.

Are you keeping a log of your daily readings (including fasting) to show to the doctor.  Many ask you for one at first.

Have you read the links below:  Testing 101 and All About Carbs?

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Frequent Advisor
Hornet62
Total Posts: 529
Registered on: ‎03-17-2011

If the doctor looked at the number and only that number, it would present a problem.  However, in combination with the HbA1c and your own log, (s)he has a lot of information to look at.  It is important for the doctor to see if you are experiencing a liver dump as they may be able to make adjustments or give suggestions to prevent them.  The true goal is to reach good numbers and keep them somewhat level rather than having peaks and valleys in the readings.  Of course, your numbers are going to go up and down, you just don't want major swings.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Levimir 55 units in the morning and at bedtime
Novolog 50 units with each meal
Metformin 1000 mg twice daily
Neurontin (gabapentin) 300 mg twice daily (neuropathy)
Metoprolol 50 mg twice daily (hypertension)
Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) 25 mg daily (hypertension)
Crestor 20 mg at bedtime (hypercholesterolemia)
Multivitamin daily
Aspirin 81 mg daily
Lovaza 2 gm twice daily
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,991
Solutions: 142

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles