Occasional Contributor
cricketette
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎03-21-2012

Type 2 and crohn's disease-- new member

Wow! I am so confused! I am pre -diabetic. My dr. has suggested to try a healthy food plan and lose weight instead of meds right now. 

I am finding it very difficult to find a meal plan that is suitable for both diseases. Cooked vegies are ok in limited quantities, beans are

a no-no, basically any foods with fiber are a problem. When I am in a crohn's flare carbs are easiest to digest. I have seen dietitians

and basically they are baffled by me! I also have rheumatoid arthritis, especially in my feet. ......

I am hoping that there is someone else on this site that also suffers from both diseases and can help with a food/diet plan!

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,989
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Type 2 and crohn's disease-- new member

Hi Crickett, welcome.\

It really is a challange I know because I had a condition similar to yours for many years.  You might want to take a look at the phase 3 and 4 of this diet, and perhaps the other ones when you are having an active flare:  click here  This is a different condition, but it's still low fiber and low fat which would work with Crohns.

This site also has a diet for Crohns disease, click on the title:

http://gicare.com/diets/crohns-disease/

Hope one of these is helpful.  It will be much harder for carb control, and especially without meds to help you.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,023
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,588
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

cricketette wrote:

Wow! I am so confused! I am pre -diabetic. My dr. has suggested to try a healthy food plan and lose weight instead of meds right now. 

I am finding it very difficult to find a meal plan that is suitable for both diseases. Cooked vegies are ok in limited quantities, beans are

a no-no, basically any foods with fiber are a problem. When I am in a crohn's flare carbs are easiest to digest. I have seen dietitians

and basically they are baffled by me! I also have rheumatoid arthritis, especially in my feet. ......

I am hoping that there is someone else on this site that also suffers from both diseases and can help with a food/diet plan!

G'day and welcome.

I think I can simplify it for you.

Start with a menu appropriate for your Crohn's disease as the basis for your new way of eating. Then test it to see what may need to be changed for best management of your diabetes. This may help you do that: Test, Review, Adjust

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,905
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,047
Solutions: 115

I'm thinking like Lizzy, that much of the Crohn's dietary advice is similar to advice for gastroparesis, which is a condition where nerve damage slows the movement of food out of the stomach.  You might also find some useful ideas if you use the Search box at the top of this page, just below the red line, to look for posts on this board about gastroparesis.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Established Member
violinsteve
Total Posts: 4
Registered on: ‎04-30-2012

Hi cricketette

I also am a new member. I found out I had diabetes 11-15-2011 but have had crohns for almost 30 years. I am about to leave for an appointment but will post latter today with some things that work for me. Crohns and diabetes together makes diabetes more of a challenge but it is possible. My A1C in November of last year was 8.4 and in February I was down to 5.7. You can do it with a lot of trial and error to see what works for you. It does get easier with time. My first couple of months I didn't think I could deal with it or if it was possible because everything I did for crohns was no longer possible with diabetes. I will post latter hopefully with some helpful suggestions for you.

Steve

Established Member
violinsteve
Total Posts: 4
Registered on: ‎04-30-2012

Hi cricketette

I hope my suggestions are of help. I agree that most dietitians are of no help when it comes to crohns, luckily I found one that specializes with things like crohns. She was a big help with controlling my diabetes and dealing with the crohns. When I have a flare up I go heavier on protein ( yogurt, cheese, meat ) and back off on some of the vegetables that I know bother me some. I try and keep anything I eat at less than 2 grams of fiber, preferable at 1 gram of fiber. I have spent hours at reading labels in the store. I also am on blood thinners for A-fib so I have to keep the amount of vegetables I eat at a pretty constant amount or it messes things up there. At first I would try a new vegetable in a small amount (less than a serving size) for a few days and see if it bothered. If it seemed OK I would increase it to a serving and give it a few more days to see if I could eat it. A food log with a master food list was a big help in keeping track of everything. At first it was a lot of work but now that I have several months behind me it is a lot easier. I have about 50 carbs at breakfast and about 60 carbs for lunch and at dinner. At 2 hours after breakfast I have about 7 carbs and this has helped me lower my blood sugar at lunch time. I know when I have a flare up that my blood sugar levels will go up some due to some of my crohns medications and diet changes. Basically start your changes slow and see what you can eat, some things my not bother you while others may be foods you can eat once in a while. Some food I can not eat at all even though I should be able to, it varies person to person. If you want I can send you my food list of what works for me, it should give you a starting point to work from.

Steve

500 mg metformin twice a day

A1C - 11/15/2011 --  8.4

A1C - 2/17/2012 --  5.7  

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,905
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,047
Solutions: 115

I've been mulling this over for a few days now, and I want to add one more thing.

We try very hard around here to explain to newcomers that while there are actions we can take, like a careful diet and staying active, that can stave off diabetes or minimize its impact, it is after all, a disease, and not a moral failing.  We each need to find a balance between the kind of restrictions we are willing to put up with and the medications we are willing to use.

For someone like you, who already has plenty of diet restrictions because of Crohn's, that concept becomes even more important.  Sure, you may be able to come up with a narrow list of foods that work for you, but when it comes to eating that diet alone for a lifetime, it just gets to be too restrictive.  You may need to give yourself a little more room and freedom of choice,  If that means using meds you could theoretically avoid with a so-called "proper" diet, that may be a perfectly acceptable way to go.  You may want to add insulin to the mix sooner rather than later.   Of course, I'm not giving you a license to party all the time and ignore diabetes, but I do think you have every right to find a more liberal diet that works for you, with more carbs.

What really matters is finding a regimen you can live with and manage your diabetes well, not how much you are willing to deny yourself in the process.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,023
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,588
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

violinsteve wrote:

Hi cricketette

I hope my suggestions are of help. I agree that most dietitians are of no help when it comes to crohns, luckily I found one that specializes with things like crohns. She was a big help with controlling my diabetes and dealing with the crohns. When I have a flare up I go heavier on protein ( yogurt, cheese, meat ) and back off on some of the vegetables that I know bother me some. I try and keep anything I eat at less than 2 grams of fiber, preferable at 1 gram of fiber. I have spent hours at reading labels in the store. I also am on blood thinners for A-fib so I have to keep the amount of vegetables I eat at a pretty constant amount or it messes things up there. At first I would try a new vegetable in a small amount (less than a serving size) for a few days and see if it bothered. If it seemed OK I would increase it to a serving and give it a few more days to see if I could eat it. A food log with a master food list was a big help in keeping track of everything. At first it was a lot of work but now that I have several months behind me it is a lot easier. I have about 50 carbs at breakfast and about 60 carbs for lunch and at dinner. At 2 hours after breakfast I have about 7 carbs and this has helped me lower my blood sugar at lunch time. I know when I have a flare up that my blood sugar levels will go up some due to some of my crohns medications and diet changes. Basically start your changes slow and see what you can eat, some things my not bother you while others may be foods you can eat once in a while. Some food I can not eat at all even though I should be able to, it varies person to person. If you want I can send you my food list of what works for me, it should give you a starting point to work from.

Steve

500 mg metformin twice a day

A1C - 11/15/2011 --  8.4

A1C - 2/17/2012 --  5.7  

G'day Steve and welcome to the forum.

Your menu has a lot more carbs than I could handle but your A1c shows that it seems to be working for you. It's good to see a newcomer to the board who can add good advice on other conditions like Crohn's. Congratulations on finding a way of eating that works for both conditions.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Occasional Contributor
cricketette

Thank-you for all the suggestions. I am going to start tracking what I eat and try to put together a reasonable diet that works for borh.

It is good to know that there are other crohnies working to keeping both diseases under control. Now if I can lose weight at the same

time----ahhh life is good!!

Occasional Contributor
cricketette

My crohn's diet is restrictive. I am gathering info to eat a more balanced diet. Thanks for your reply!!