Occasional Contributor
irishgal1967
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎04-28-2012
Helpful Response

Two fasting morning blood sugars 129 and 130, and another 124...type 2 diabetes?

Hello,

I'm going to call my family doctor next week...do you think this is now diabetes? I haven't done random at-home testing for 2 years, was pre-diabetic prior to that.

I bought a new kit last week and tested several days with the results above. Hmmm...curious what others think.

Thank you!

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,989
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Two fasting morning blood sugars 129 and 130, and another 124...type 2 diabetes?

Irishgal1967 wrote:

Hello,

I'm going to call my family doctor next week...do you think this is now diabetes? I haven't done random at-home testing for 2 years, was pre-diabetic prior to that.

I bought a new kit last week and tested several days with the results above. Hmmm...curious what others think.

Thank you!

Hi Irish, welcome.

Here's a chart of the diagnosis criteria:

You can see the any fasting test over 100 is considered either pre-diabetic or diabetic.  You have two over the diabetic cut off, so they will probably do an A1C test to determine the exact diagnosis.

At the very least you are in the pre-diabetic stage and it's best to treat it exactly as if it was full diabetes.  Here's a link to tell you how to get started, click on the title:

Come back and ask any questions you might have.

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
ffmaya
Total Posts: 1,532
Registered on: ‎10-29-2011

Re: Two fasting morning blood sugars 129 and 130, and another 124...type 2 diabetes?

Irishgal1967 wrote:

Hello,

Thank you!

Irishgal, sorry you are joining our club but 129 and 130 are diabetic and the 124 is just shy of being diabetic.  100 - 125 is pre-diabetic anything above is diabetic.  Meters are allowed to have a 20% variance.  If you have been diagnosed as a pre-diabetic over two years ago and you haven't done any testing, you could very well have become a diabetic now.  I assume, that since you didn't test you didn't watch what you ate either.  Low carbs and exercise are the best thing you can do to get your BG under control.

Farida

" Remember, Google is your friend"

Dx'd Type II on Halloween 2011
Current 8/20/14 - A1c 5.8
Metformin 1000 mg twice daily
Flexeril 10mg for Fibromyalgia
Gabapentin 3200mg for Fibromyalgia
Clonazepam 1mg for Anxiety
Occasional Contributor
irishgal1967

Thanks for the info, Lizzylou. I'll check out the links you provided. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, as my mother was diabetic, as well as my grandmother and just about every other member of my Celtic family.

I'll let you know what my doctor has to say.

Occasional Contributor
irishgal1967

I'm embarrassed to say I haven't done anything in the past 2 years to prevent this. I use to walk 2-3 miles per day, 5 days a week; however, stopped several years ago due to ankle injury. Just couldn't get back in to it...the weight started going up. UGH....sadly, maybe this is the reality check I need.

Thanks so much for replying...will let you know what my doc has to say.

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,904
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,047
Solutions: 115
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Just one tiny caveat.  A doctor wouldn't use a meter for a diagnosis.  It takes a real lab test, and a confirmation test.  It's a matter of being precise, and not labeling someone as a person with diabetes just because of a meter that reads a little high. A lab test could show something just a little different, and put you in the high end of the prediabetes range.

On the other, we can all see that you are moving toward trouble, and that you might as well start living now as though you had already been diagnosed, because that is the best way we have to protect ourselves from the complications that can go with diabetes, and that can begin even before a formal diagnosis.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Irishgal1967 wrote:

Hello,

I'm going to call my family doctor next week...do you think this is now diabetes?

Yes. If you are in any doubt, here is the official ADA diagnostic criteria:

Table 3—Criteria for the diagnosis of diabetes
A1C >= 6.5%. The test should be performed in a laboratory using a method that is NGSP
certified and standardized to the DCCT assay.*
OR
FPG >= 126 mg/dl (7.0 mmol/l). Fasting is defined as no caloric intake for at least 8 h.*
OR
2-h plasma glucose >= 200 mg/dl (11.1 mmol/l) during an OGTT. The test should be
performed as described by the World Health Organization, using a glucose load containing
the equivalent of 75 g anhydrous glucose dissolved in water.*
OR
In a patient with classic symptoms of hyperglycemia or hyperglycemic crisis, a random
plasma glucose >= 200 mg/dl (11.1 mmol/l).

*In the absence of unequivocal hyperglycemia, criteria 1–3 should be confirmed by repeat testing.

I haven't done random at-home testing for 2 years, was pre-diabetic prior to that.

Thank you!

This will help you test more systematically: Test, Review, Adjust

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,550
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

You are straddling the diagnosis line.  However, I would worry much more about how I am going to adjust my lifestyle to stay healthy than the words on your chart.  1 point difference might be what the ADA uses to define the difference between diabetes and pre-diabetes, but your body isn't an on-off switch.  That number is just where the world drew the line.  Reading, learning and adjusting are where your head should be pointed.

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1