Occasional Responder
teenalee13
Total Posts: 12
Registered on: ‎01-23-2012

Total Daily Carbs

I'm still tryingto get the hang of this diabetes thing, I know we need to watch our carbs, what is a safe daily total for carbs when you have a doctor that hasn't been any help at all since giving me the news.  I am tracking my nutrition through a site called Sparkpeople as I need to loose about 30 pounds and just eatmore healthy for obvious reasons.  When I entered all my info including that I am diabetic they reccomend 169 total carbs per day.  Is this a good starting point until I'm able to get with my new doctor?

Thanks for any help.

Kris

Advisor
ronaka
Total Posts: 950
Registered on: ‎12-24-2011

Re: Total Daily Carbs

This subject occasionally comes up, and tends to get different responses. I believe the guidelines published by the Canadian Diabetes Association are very well researched and reflect a balanced approach to diabetes nutrition. They consider more than just BG, but your whole health picture and need for good nutrition. You can find them at the link below. For carbs they recommend 40% of your calories come from carbs.

CDA Diabetes Nutrition Therapy

Ron

Not a doctor, only another T2 diabetic with, unfortunately 11 year experience. Be cautious about accepting advice, including mine, on medical conditions from the internet. It can be a good place to get ideas, but validate them with your doctor and other medical professionals first.
Super Advisor
ffmaya
Total Posts: 1,533
Registered on: ‎10-29-2011

teenalee13 wrote:

I'm still tryingto get the hang of this diabetes thing, I know we need to watch our carbs, what is a safe daily total for carbs when you have a doctor that hasn't been any help at all since giving me the news.  I am tracking my nutrition through a site called Sparkpeople as I need to loose about 30 pounds and just eatmore healthy for obvious reasons.  When I entered all my info including that I am diabetic they reccomend 169 total carbs per day.  Is this a good starting point until I'm able to get with my new doctor?

Thanks for any help.

Kris

Kris, I, as many others here, cannot eat that many carbs.  A lot of diabetics can't have many carbs in the morning (10g-15g), more at lunch (20g-25g) and then even a few more at dinner (25g-30g) and then snacks (10g-25g).  Every body reacts differently to the numbers of carbs it can handle.  The numbers I gave above are mine.  I started lower and then slowly increased to an amount I am comfortable with and my BG stays where I like it.  A great site to find out how many carbs food items have is CalorieKing.  I only count carbs, not fat or protein or anything else and have lost 39lbs since last October.  Exercise is also very important to control your BG, I split my 60 minutes into three segments, 20 minutes each after breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

You have to try to find what works for you.  What are your current numbers, how many times are you testing, what are you eating, and how much exercising?

Farida 

Farida

" Remember, Google is your friend"

Dx'd Type II on Halloween 2011
Current 8/20/14 - A1c 5.8
Metformin 1000 mg twice daily
Flexeril 10mg for Fibromyalgia
Gabapentin 3200mg for Fibromyalgia
Clonazepam 1mg for Anxiety
Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,100
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

IMO that's a lot of carbs. The typical reason giving for recommending set numbers of carbs that is giving by most agencies making such recommendations, is the claim you need to eat x number of carbs per day to keep your brain functioning. Now the brain does need a minimum  level of carbs to function properly, however it is a very specific carb needed...glucose. Hence, so long as you are maintaining your blood glucose levels such that they are 70 or over, you'll be fine. It doesn't really matter how many carbs you eat, but what BG levels your maintaining.

Advisor
ronaka
Total Posts: 950
Registered on: ‎12-24-2011

The CDA Diabetes Nutrition Guidelines base the 40% carbohydrate recommendation on the need to limit excessive calorie intake from fats and protein. If you go with a low carb diet then you must go to a high fat/protein diet. It just does not add up any other way. They also consider that we get many of our nutrients from fruits, vegetables, and unrefined grains - which also contain carbs. They also promote the use of the glycemic index to select good carbs over poorer carbs. Here is an example of a revised food pyramid based on that concept.

Glycemic Index Food Pyramid

Ron

Not a doctor, only another T2 diabetic with, unfortunately 11 year experience. Be cautious about accepting advice, including mine, on medical conditions from the internet. It can be a good place to get ideas, but validate them with your doctor and other medical professionals first.
Frequent Responder
savgigi
Total Posts: 528
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Hi, Kris. Sorry you had to join us.

I don't watch my total carbs per day. Rather, I use my meter to tell me whether or not a meal raises my blood sugar too much. For example, I can have a veggie omelet and 2 pieces of toast (20-30g carbs) for breakfast and my blood sugar after that meal is usally 110-120. Others here cannot eat that many carb grams for breakfast.

I eat more protein and low carb vegetables than I do higher carb items. I don't watch fat that closely as my cholesterol is pretty good.

Has your doctor given you a meter? You need one to really be able to manage your blood sugar. Find out what meter brands your insurance pays for and the maximum number of strips they will pay for. Then insist your doctor write you a prescription for the maximum number of strips.

Look for posts by Alan S and Lizzylou. They outline a testing methodology most of us here follow. And check out the Eating Right forum. Lots of good ideas there on what to eat.

Be wary of following "healthy eating" or "diabetic-friendly" guidelines. Many of them are higher in carbs than you may be able to handle.

Ask losts of questions - we're here to help.

Jeanie

I want to dance at my grandchildren's weddings. I want to live well and die peacefully in my sleep at the age of 110

T2; Dx 2/2009
Initial A1c 5.7; Current A1c 5.6
Metformin 500mg twice a day
Advisor
NJinOK
Total Posts: 103
Registered on: ‎12-11-2011

teenalee13 wrote:

Thanks for any help.

Kris

Hi, Kris!   I was just diagnosed in November (T2) and have been fortunate to have a good doctor, Certified Diabetes Educator, and the great people in this forum, to help me deal with it.    One of the things that seemed strange to me at first is that "healthy eating" for a diabetic is not necessarily the same as "healthy eating" for a non-diabetic person.   I am not familiar with Sparkpeople, but for me, 169 total carbs per day is a lot more than I can consume without tanking up on a bunch of starch -- very bad for my bg and my efforts to continue losing weight!   :smileysad:  I can understand why entities need to make starting-point recommendations for carbs, etc., but diabetes is not a "one size fits all" condition.   I started with 15 for breakfast and snacks, and 40 for lunch and dinner, and now it's more like 25 for breakfast, 35 for other meals, and 15 for snacks (I rarely snack).   If my meal is a little higher than usual in protein or fat, then I can go higher on the carbs, but I avoid this scenario (again due to trying to lose more weight).   It has turned out that I am able to tolerate more carbs at breakfast than many others You will see the expression "YMMV" ("Your Mileage May Vary") a lot in the forum.    Because diabetes affects each of us differently, the only way that anyone to know how "X" amount of "X" food will affect their bg is by testing.    I would encourage you to read the posts by Lizzy and AlanS on food choices and testing.   You will learn how your body reacts and find your way.   Also, have you thought about looking for a Certified Diabetes Educator in your area?   It is so unfortunate that your original doctor was not more helpful -- I hope you will have a much better experience with your new one!    Please don't worry -- you WILL get the hang of this -- please keep coming back, okay?    Best wishes, Nancy

Super Advisor
grannyred
Total Posts: 4,453
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

savgigi wrote:

Hi, Kris. Sorry you had to join us.

I don't watch my total carbs per day. Rather, I use my meter to tell me whether or not a meal raises my blood sugar too much. For example, I can have a veggie omelet and 2 pieces of toast (20-30g carbs) for breakfast and my blood sugar after that meal is usally 110-120. Others here cannot eat that many carb grams for breakfast.

I eat more protein and low carb vegetables than I do higher carb items. I don't watch fat that closely as my cholesterol is pretty good.

Has your doctor given you a meter? You need one to really be able to manage your blood sugar. Find out what meter brands your insurance pays for and the maximum number of strips they will pay for. Then insist your doctor write you a prescription for the maximum number of strips.

Look for posts by Alan S and Lizzylou. They outline a testing methodology most of us here follow. And check out the Eating Right forum. Lots of good ideas there on what to eat.

Be wary of following "healthy eating" or "diabetic-friendly" guidelines. Many of them are higher in carbs than you may be able to handle.

Ask losts of questions - we're here to help.

I am going to have to agree with Jeanie here.....I also eat to my meter, and everyday is different on my carb counts. 

If you start eating low carb, cut out the white rice, white pasta, white  bread and white potatoes you should start seeing some weight loss very soon.  Walking at least an hour a day will be helpful too.....you don't have to do it all at once....15 min 4 times or 30 mins twice a day........just get out there and do it.

Like I said....everyday is different, today so far I have had 73 carbs but will probably have some carb smart ice cream with whipped cream for my late night snack.

Here is what I ate the other day.....................Edited to take out my personal notes.

5:30 AM   FBS     60     2 cups coffee with sugar free French vanilla creamer ( 4 gr carbs), 1 slice of reduced fat Swiss cheese and two slices roasted turkey breast ( < 3 gr carbs) Total  7 carbs

7:00 AM Glucose check before exercise   63  1 Sweet and salty granola bar ( 19 gr carbs)

8:15 AM  BG   60  

8:30 AM Breakfast, 1 cup hash ( 22 gr carbs) 2 poached eggs (2 gr carbs) 2 cups coffee with sugar free creamer ( 4 gr carbs) Total  28 carbs

10:30 AM  ¼ cup soy energy blend crunchy snack (13gr carbs)

12:30 Not hungry but need to eat    ½ cup cottage cheese( 5grcarbs), ½ cup frozen cultivated blueberries ( 8gr carbs) 4 or 5 walnuts (<1 gr carb) Total 14 carbs

2:30 1 cup assorted cut veggies ( cucumber, red pepper , baby carrots, zucchini ) (10 gr carbs), ½ cup homemade spinach dip ( approx 10 gr carbs) Total 20 carbs

5:30    BG  79

5:30  2 cups fish soup ( approx 15 carbs), 2 cups red leaf lettuce and assorted chopped veggies and no carb dressing plus one boiled egg ( approx 15 carbs)Total 30 carbs

6:00 25 min stationary bike

7:00  BG  80

8:30 very small slice( 8th of pie) of homemade sugar free lemon meringue pie ( 10,000 carbs or under 20 carbs) 2 cups coffee with sugar free French vanilla creamer ( 4 gr carbs)

9:00 45 mins of my Tai bo DVD

I have great control because I exercise like a mad woman so you will not have numbers like mine.

Good luck....this is a marathon....not a sprint so it will be for Life.

Welcome to the forums............................See ya...................................Big Red...................................Peace

Granny Red is Big Red Type 2 DX 2/17/09 A1c 7.7 2/2011 A1c 4.7  5/2011 A1c  4.7 8/2011 A1c 4.9 -11/2011 -4.7
March / 2012 New A1c 5.0 !
A1c Nov.2012...4.7
A1c Jan 21, 2013 5.2 Adding Met 2 X 500 mg
Newest A1c April 24,2013....back to 4.9......WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!
Low Carb and lots of Exercise Don't believe everything you think !!!!!! Please help save the Earth.....it's the only planet with Chocolate !!!!
NATIVE EARTH !!!!!
My Secret..............low carb, exercise, Graze not Gorge and portion size !!!!!!

Information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth. Truth must be absolute; otherwise it is merely opinion.
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,295
Topics: 214
High Fives: 1,672
Solutions: 185
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

teenalee13 wrote:

Thanks for any help.

Kris

It isn't carbs per day that matters; it is carbs per meal or snack.

You have had a variety of advice, ranging from those who strictly follow the general advice of their local diabetes authority to those who have discovered a better way of eating that suits their own unique diabetes situation. I follow the latter group.

The generalised advice of authorities like the ADA and CDA takes no account of your own unique situation. Many of us have found that our tolerance for carbohydrates varies over the course of a day. In my own case, I cannot handle many carbs at all at breakfast, but I can handle a fairly high load at dinner.  But I cannot say that is right for you because others have found the opposite: dinner is their problem, not breakfast.

Treat the menu you eat right now as your starting point, then test that menu to see if it needs to be changed. I wrote this to help you do that: Test, Review, Adjust

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Occasional Responder
teenalee13
Total Posts: 12
Registered on: ‎01-23-2012

WOW! Thanks everyone forall the great info.  I thought that sounded like a lot for diabeic's.  So than what would beconsidered "low" carbs per day?  I want to try and do the low carbs high protien/fibers.  I don't remember what my wieght was when I was first diagnosed but when I started loggin in my food on sparkpeople last Friday I was 179 today I am down to 174.YAY me but my BL are still really high.Today however was the lowest its been at 190.

I know i'll get the hangof it but it is so hard, just glad I found a group of great folks to help me on myjourney.

:smileyhappy: