Responder
Maggie54
Total Posts: 28
Registered on: ‎05-28-2012

Sudden spike in Blood Sugar

Hello all,

Thought I would chime in and possibly find some answers. Last week Wednesday, I had a sudden spike in Blood Sugar (197) two hours after eating breakfast. I had peanut butter wheat toast at 5:30am, by 8:30am I was feeling nauseous, headache, sweating, and  weak. I ended up having to leave work and go home. Never had a reading this high in the past. My normal numbers one hour after a meal have been 156.

Diabetes runs in my family, Sister at age 16, Brother at 22 and Mother at 60. Until menopause I had low glucose readings, that was seven years ago. Since then, my numbers have been climbing to over the 100 range. I have not had a fasting glucose  reading of 126 yet. My A1C is at 6.3, which Kaiser considers over the limit.

I have high cholesterol which is currently under control. High Blood pressure is currently under control as well. I have only half kidney function in both kidneys. What I'm most concerned about are my kidneys.

Has anyone had this happen? What causes this sudden spike and the awful feelings that are associated with a spike in B/S?

Thank you all for your responses ahead of time.

Maggie

Maggie

Challenges are what make life interesting;
overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,699
Topics: 553
High Fives: 1,854
Solutions: 137
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Sudden spike in Blood Sugar

Hi Maggie, welcome.

There can be so many reasons for this spike.  First of all are you sure you washed your hands because a piece of food could still be on your fingers and affect the reading.

You say your "normal" reading are usually 156, is that every time?  Is that a 2 hour reading?

The symptoms you describe could also indicate a low, and perhaps your liver dumped glucose to counter that and went higher.  If you were to try some 1 hour after meal readings, especially in the morning, you might find that your numbers are much higher than the 2 hour readings,  To could then experience a "reactive low" where you numbers shoot low than your liver dumps and they go high.

Does all of this sound confusing?  Here are some links to give you more detailed information about this, click on the titles:

http://lizzysdlounge.com/2012/03/15/whats-a-liver-dump/

http://lizzysdlounge.com/2012/04/14/getting-started/

Ask any questions you might have after reading these, but don't worry what happened isn't that unusual for someone newly diagnosed.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Responder
Maggie54

Hi Lizzy,

Thank you for the response. Yes it's every time. My readings after a meal range from 148 to 175...one hour after a meal. I have been testing for about two years. So far so good. I don't consider myself diabetic. My doctor at Kaiser uses the term prediabetic quite a bit. From what I have read, either you are or you aren't diabetic???

I've attended nutrition classes, they were quite informative. I exercise regularly and my weight is within the normal range.

Take care,

Marggie

Maggie

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,699
Topics: 553
High Fives: 1,854
Solutions: 137
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Hi Maggie,

Yes those after meal numbers are rather high for most of us. 

Now, about pre-diabetic!

First here's an ADA numbers chart:

Blood Glucose Tests

I just wrote a blog post about my take on pre-diabetic:  click here

You will see just what I think about that term (hint, not much!).

I belong to Kaiser too, have for almost 30 years give or take.  They do have some good classes although they stick to the standard medical protocols that I disagree on in many instances.  But then again I've been the one living with it for over a decade. :smileyvery-happy:

Why not give the Testing 101 and All About Carbs methods a try, the worst that could happen is that your numbers could improve.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,215
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

[ Edited ]

Maggie54 wrote:

................................. My readings after a meal range from 148 to 175...one hour after a meal. I have been testing for about two years. So far so good. I don't consider myself diabetic. My doctor at Kaiser uses the term prediabetic quite a bit. From what I have read, either you are or you aren't diabetic???

What are your readings two hours after meals?  They should be back down to normal or fasting levels by then.  With diabetes or pre-diabetes, exercise and/or meds are often needed to help get them there.  If I didn't exercise after meals, and get my numbers back down to normal post-meal and fasting starting-point, then they would remain too high continuously.  They also need to be at a good level at bedtime.  Have you tried testing at that time, and are those bedtime, fasting, and pre-meal levels similar?

Are you aiming for normal ranges such as these: http://www.joslin.org/info/goals_for_blood_glucose_control.html

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Responder
Maggie54

Hi,

Thank you for the information. I've been exercising regularly for over 30 years. I love exercising...helps me relieve stress and makes me feel good. I've only tested my B/S a few times after two hours. Unfortunately my numbers stay in the 150 range for quite some time. Maybe it's time to look into medication. The glucose spike I experience was quite awful.

How many miles do you walk per day?

Thank you again,

Maggie

Maggie

Responder
Maggie54

Thank you Lizzy,

I like your blog. This information really caught my eye.

Also no non-diabetic would ever have a number of 180 no matter what they ate!

Often fasting numbers are the last to become higher.  Way before it shows in the fasting numbers the meal numbers can be through the roof.  Unless you test at these times you’d never know this.  Many people only test fasting numbers and think they’re fine.  High meal-time numbers can keep the A1C higher, every number counts to a certain extent.

I started testing after meals about a year ago. I felt odd after meals at times and decided to test, to my surprise my numbers were up.

Maggie

Maggie

Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,215
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Maggie54 wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for the information. I've been exercising regularly for over 30 years. I love exercising...helps me relieve stress and makes me feel good. I've only tested my B/S a few times after two hours. Unfortunately my numbers stay in the 150 range for quite some time. Maybe it's time to look into medication. The glucose spike I experience was quite awful.

How many miles do you walk per day?

Thank you again,

Maggie

Maggie, I have a treadmill which I purchased upon diagnosis, and used to walk a 20-minute mile after meals 3x per day = 60 minutes/3 miles total by the end of the day.  Currently, I'm also doing other types of exercise in addition to the walking, but it it's the equivalent of a 20-minute mile 2x per day = approx. 40 minutes/2 miles per day.  My walking is brisk, neither slow nor strenuous -- from 3 to 3.5 miles per hour.  I am in the process of trying to work that extra 20 minutes back in, as time allows.  How would you describe your current exercise routine?

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Responder
Maggie54

Nancy,

My exercise routine consists of walking for 1 hour every day, during breaks and lunch at work. Three times per week I go to the gym, my routine there consists of 30 minutes on the elipitical machine and 20 minutes on the treadmill. After the cardio exercise, I weight train for 30 minutes...light weights-alot of repititions.

Keep up the good work.

Take care,

Maggie

Maggie