Occasional Responder
butchy58
Total Posts: 11
Registered on: ‎03-22-2012

Statins raise Blood Sugar ????

Good Morning Everyone

I have seen a few articles on Statins raising b/s hum .Well that got  me thinking and that is not good.Well I stop taking it for Two nights First Morning after I has stop it my b/s was 117 and the next day 104 prior to that it ran 130 to 140.i Took my statin last night and this morning my b/s was 130.I am on 60carb a meal plan I try not to use all those carbs.I'm just wondering has any one heard of this.As always Thank You for your input                             Have a Great Day

Art

Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,100
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Statins raise Blood Sugar ????

There is a known link to statins and BG levels for some people. In some cases it might even be sufficient to trigger diabetes. So it's entirely possible that you are one of those whose BG levels are effected by statins.

Occasional Responder
butchy58

Thanks Billsreef for your reply it just seem funny when I did take it I had high BG when I stoped it it was low for me the whole day What do I know!!!!! lol Have a great day

Art

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,633
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

This haas just come to light recently, but it is also a small affect. 

Steroids like prednisone can raise blood sugar big time--extended use of large dosages can even cause diabetes.  But the effect of statins is pretty minor, and not necessarily frequent.

Much more likely the variations you are seeing day to day have more to do with slight variations in the 60 grams of carbs per meal--that is a pretty high level for most of us to eat at one time, particularly at breakfast.

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Occasional Responder
butchy58

Thanks Morris

It really seems funny my BG is a lot lower when I don't take the statin these were my BG for Monday before i ate anything BG 117 after dinner 85 and before bed 99 the day before they were 102 am after dinner was 146.I just had lunch about 12:30pm so I will take it at 1:30pm and see.The diet is a guide for now.I will meet with Diabetes Management Team on Tue April 2 I should know a lot more after that meeting. Thanks for the reply Morris                         Have a Great Day

Art

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,994
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

butchy58 wrote:

Good Morning Everyone

I have seen a few articles on Statins raising b/s hum .Well that got  me thinking and that is not good.Well I stop taking it for Two nights First Morning after I has stop it my b/s was 117 and the next day 104 prior to that it ran 130 to 140.i Took my statin last night and this morning my b/s was 130.I am on 60carb a meal plan I try not to use all those carbs.I'm just wondering has any one heard of this.As always Thank You for your input                             Have a Great Day

Art

Hi Art,

As Bill mentioned, statins can raise BG levels.  I suggest that you talk with your doctor about this issue.  Depending on you numbers, he/she might feel that it's worth the rise.

I also see that you said you're on a 60-carb a meal plan.  Do you know how that amount of carbs is really affecting your numbers?  For many that high an amount would spike their numbers very high.  Recommendation given by medical people are usually stating guidelines, you have to test to find if it's a good amount for you.

Read the Testing 101 link below to find out more about this.

Lizzy  

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Occasional Responder
butchy58

Thank You Lizzylou

The  Carbs Meal Plan they gave me when I first meet with them.What did I know lol so I just followed it the best I could, and thought  I was doing a good Job lol guess not.I try not to use all the carbs on the meal plan they gave me.For Breakfast I have 1 cup of cheerios with some blueberrys 10 to15 blueberrys 1/2 cup od skim milk thats it

Lunch 2 slices of whole wheat bread 2o/z of turkey apiece of Swiss Cheese 1 cut of veg soup.I just  took my  BG   100 I don't get it Sorry.

Art 

Responder
thetexaskat2
Total Posts: 13
Registered on: ‎03-27-2012

My whole diabetes overall everything is out of whack.  I have recently been diagnosed with some kidney damage.  Dr. does not think it is from diabetes but rather a large amount of ibuprofen I took prior to back surgery in 1995.  Dr. was worried about it upsetting my stomach so I took 4 at a time and followed with Malox.  Didn't know about possible kidney damage.

Anyway, my protein consumption has been cut to 1oz at each meal.  Protein was my stand by cure for needing to eat something that would not run up my blood sugar.  I have been taken off Metformin because it is hard on kidneys.  Have a new fast acting insulin pen and I can't seem to get it all figured out how much to take.  Been running high.  HELP - what can I eat instead of protein????????????

Thanks,

thetexaskat2

Responder
thetexaskat2
Total Posts: 13
Registered on: ‎03-27-2012

PS:  I take Crestor for cholesterol.  Has that been found to change BS very much.>>>>>>>>>>>???????????/

Thanks,

thetexaskat2

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,994
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

[ Edited ]

thetexaskat2 wrote:

My whole diabetes overall everything is out of whack.  I have recently been diagnosed with some kidney damage.  Dr. does not think it is from diabetes but rather a large amount of ibuprofen I took prior to back surgery in 1995.  Dr. was worried about it upsetting my stomach so I took 4 at a time and followed with Malox.  Didn't know about possible kidney damage.

Anyway, my protein consumption has been cut to 1oz at each meal.  Protein was my stand by cure for needing to eat something that would not run up my blood sugar.  I have been taken off Metformin because it is hard on kidneys.  Have a new fast acting insulin pen and I can't seem to get it all figured out how much to take.  Been running high.  HELP - what can I eat instead of protein????????????

Thanks,

thetexaskat2

Hi TK, welcome.

Sorry about your problems, limiting protein is a problem with trying to manage diabetes.

What type(s) of insulin are you taking, and what doses?  What are your numbers and how often do you test?  Has the doctor directed you to call your numbers in?  Doctors often start people on very low doses and slowly increase them according to the numbers.

Also statins have been known to raise the glucose numbers, have you discussed this with your doctor?

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more