Responder
heatherkins
Total Posts: 14
Registered on: ‎02-25-2012

Re: Resources for People with Diabetes (Click here if you're new!)

Thanks so much for the information! There is a lot of great information there!

Diagnosed on 1/12/12 with A1C of 8.6
Prescribed 500 MG Metformin ER
Visited Endocrinologist on 2/20/12 and taken off med's completely
Now, maintaining my BS through diet and exercise
Occasional Visitor
CSlim17
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎03-13-2012

Another new guy here, need direction.

Hello everybody, and thanks for maintaining such a fabulous forum. This place is awesome. I appreciate some direction as to where to find answers. I've been lurking all over this board for about a year, have seen several endocrinologists and neurologist on both coasts.

Here's what I have:

Postprandial hypoglycemia, aka pre-diabetes, aka glucose intolerance . Diagnosed 30 years ago, steadily harde to control the BG over the years. Now the BG will drop for no apparent reason. I watch my diet, watch my numbers, docs say I'm doing a great job. I now have hypoglycemia unawareness, which does not help.

Still, I can spend a week eating exactly the same things (per the nutritionist) the BG numbers are exactly fine and responding as expected. 130 or so after a meal, 120 an hour later, and out of the blue I will start to feel extremely tired. Check my BG and it reads 60, a half hour after it read 120. Treat it with food and get it back within range.

Except that about two or three times a year it just gets away from me, as in it won't rise with dextrose tablets, or OJ, and off to the ER I go.

Just to keep my medical team's life interesting I also have autonomic neuropathy, diagnosed at Mayo in 2005. It's been getting worse as well and keeping my Blood Pressure manageable has been a nightmare. Stomach and intestines are not doing well either.

There is also a cyst growing in my brain, as we as an aneurysm. Oh yes and I suddenly have two hernias in my abdomen that are going to be taken out real soon now. I have a very bad case of Osteoporosis as well. I'm a guy, and a very young 54 :smileywink:

Here's what I've done:

Tried acarbose, which worked as expected, but caused so much gas the docs decided to stop it. Autonomic neuropathy has caused my digestrive tract to work sporadically.

Have tried numerous diets, and they all work as expected, but don't stop the sudden drops in BG.

Am taking the following meds, note that all meds work very well for me. They hit me hard, so I take very low doses. The side effects hit me hard too.

Trileptal : for the massive pain caused by the cyst

methylprednisolone : emergency med when the Trileptal

ibuprofen : miscellaneous aches and pains, joints that swell, etc.

Simvastatin : keep down the cholesteroal

Toprol : help with the blood pressure when it goes too high.

Aciphex : anti-acid when the stomach refuses to function

Florinef : help with the blood pressure when it goes too low

Lomotil : when the whole digestive tract goes on strike

Tramadol : for the pain from the cyst, use when the Trileptal can't handle it but before I give up all hope and use the methylprednisolone

Erythromycin : helps motivate the stomach

Phenergan : constant nausea, could not eat without this

Testim : Nothing in my body seems to work, so I need this as well

No, I don't take them all at the same time :smileyhappy:

What I need:

Docs all agree that all i can do is continue to control the Blood Glucose with diet. That works some of the time, but sometimes the BG just drops. Have been tested for _everything_, at UCLA, at MAYO, Georgetown. No tumors, no growths, nothing that could affect the pancreas. Blood tests are all normal. Docs say I am a "textbook case" after 30 years.

I say I don't like the way my health is going and am not giving up.

Any tips, suggestions, websites, etc, most welcome

thanx

Mike :smileyhappy:

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,075
Topics: 210
High Fives: 1,619
Solutions: 181
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Another new guy here, need direction.

[ Edited ]

CSlim17 wrote:

Hello everybody, and thanks for maintaining such a fabulous forum. This place is awesome. I appreciate some direction as to where to find answers. I've been lurking all over this board for about a year, have seen several endocrinologists and neurologist on both coasts.

Here's what I have:

Postprandial hypoglycemia, aka pre-diabetes, aka glucose intolerance . Diagnosed 30 years ago, steadily harde to control the BG over the years. Now the BG will drop for no apparent reason. I watch my diet, watch my numbers, docs say I'm doing a great job. I now have hypoglycemia unawareness, which does not help.

Still, I can spend a week eating exactly the same things (per the nutritionist) the BG numbers are exactly fine and responding as expected. 130 or so after a meal, 120 an hour later, and out of the blue I will start to feel extremely tired. Check my BG and it reads 60, a half hour after it read 120. Treat it with food and get it back within range.

Except that about two or three times a year it just gets away from me, as in it won't rise with dextrose tablets, or OJ, and off to the ER I go.

Just to keep my medical team's life interesting I also have autonomic neuropathy, diagnosed at Mayo in 2005. It's been getting worse as well and keeping my Blood Pressure manageable has been a nightmare. Stomach and intestines are not doing well either.

There is also a cyst growing in my brain, as we as an aneurysm. Oh yes and I suddenly have two hernias in my abdomen that are going to be taken out real soon now. I have a very bad case of Osteoporosis as well. I'm a guy, and a very young 54 :smileywink:

Here's what I've done:

Tried acarbose, which worked as expected, but caused so much gas the docs decided to stop it. Autonomic neuropathy has caused my digestrive tract to work sporadically.

Have tried numerous diets, and they all work as expected, but don't stop the sudden drops in BG.

Am taking the following meds, note that all meds work very well for me. They hit me hard, so I take very low doses. The side effects hit me hard too.

Trileptal : for the massive pain caused by the cyst

methylprednisolone : emergency med when the Trileptal

ibuprofen : miscellaneous aches and pains, joints that swell, etc.

Simvastatin : keep down the cholesteroal

Toprol : help with the blood pressure when it goes too high.

Aciphex : anti-acid when the stomach refuses to function

Florinef : help with the blood pressure when it goes too low

Lomotil : when the whole digestive tract goes on strike

Tramadol : for the pain from the cyst, use when the Trileptal can't handle it but before I give up all hope and use the methylprednisolone

Erythromycin : helps motivate the stomach

Phenergan : constant nausea, could not eat without this

Testim : Nothing in my body seems to work, so I need this as well

No, I don't take them all at the same time :smileyhappy:

What I need:

Docs all agree that all i can do is continue to control the Blood Glucose with diet. That works some of the time, but sometimes the BG just drops. Have been tested for _everything_, at UCLA, at MAYO, Georgetown. No tumors, no growths, nothing that could affect the pancreas. Blood tests are all normal. Docs say I am a "textbook case" after 30 years.

I say I don't like the way my health is going and am not giving up.

Any tips, suggestions, websites, etc, most welcome

thanx

G'day Mike, and welcome to the forum.

I see you are testing. Do you know when your peak is after meals? If so use that for your tests, if not do a little extra testing to find it. This may help: Getting Started

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Responder
techguy87114
Total Posts: 34
Registered on: ‎03-03-2012

Mike

Welcome! i hope you find lots of great resources here. I know I certainly have in the short time Ive been a part. the best medicine I  have ever come across is A-T-T-I-TU-D-E.  Keep your chin up! Ii dotn have any answers or real advice for you but I will stay on the lookout!

Best,

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,562
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

[ Edited ]

Hi MIke ,

I had a couple of thoughts as I read your post.

First was how soon do you test after meals?  The drops down to 60 could be explained if you are shooting pretty high after a meal, say at one hour, and then dropping quickly thereafter. You might be at 130 an hour later and then drop real low.  Too much insulin, too late, classic reactive hypoglycemia.  Though maybe you are testing enough, and keeping carbs low enough to avoid that--your post does not make that clear.

Second thought was that if you go too long between meals, you can go too low. Intermittent snacking can make a big difference on this. If you have a small snack jsut before you might go way down, that could be enough to level things out until the next meal. And if it is small, and you are not about to dip, it won;t make you go up too much before the next meal.

You mention autonomic neuropathy, which can be related to gastroparesis, and that probably complicates your situation. Perhaps there are some foods that are easier to digest, and others that take longer. Developing a strategy that takes that facto into account could be a key ingredient to figuring things out...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Occasional Visitor
CSlim17
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎03-13-2012

Wow, thanks for the quick replies !

>> ... I see you are testing. Do you know when your peak is after meals? If so use that for your tests, if not do a little extra testing to find it. This may help: Getting Started

Have read your "Getting Started". I do test every 15 when I change diet, or when I get any "weird" symptoms. Then take it to my endo doc and nutritionist. Depending on what I eat my BG rises and lowers per what the doc says is normal. A good balance of fat to proteins to complex carbs and I rise for 30 mins to around 140, then slowly drop the next 2 - 3 hours back to 100.

Then it keeps dropping. Past 100 and on down until I do something about it. And if I so much as _think_ of simple carbs I will spike to 170 or so in 15 mins and be heading for the basement 15 mins later.

>> ... Too much insulin, too late, classic reactive hypoglycemia.

yup, that is exactly what my medical team says, and it is reflected in my testing.

>> ... Intermittent snacking can make a big difference on this.

Oh it does. Only way I can stay out of the ER. I snack no less than every two hours. _low_ on simple carbs, balance of everything else. Sugar free peanut butter works great, on a slice of sourdough bread.

>> ... You mention autonomic neuropathy, which can be related to gastroparesis, and that probably complicates your situation.

Yes, I have gastroparesis. Just the right balance of probiotics, lomotil and the occassional antibiotic keeps me from throwing up. I am nauseated, all the time. _all_ the time. Eating anything is a chore, but I do it anyway.

>> ... Developing a strategy that takes that facto into account could be a key ingredient to figuring things out...

Have had a good strategy, which I have modified over the last 30 years. About 5 days my BG are predictable and manageable. Then it just drops. Most of the time I catch in time, spend the rest of the day, or two days, carefuly managing it so it does not overshoot, and then I'm back to "normal".

Been in the ER many times. Average twice a year. They put me on a Dextrose drip and I feel like a normal human being. About the only thing that makes me feel normal. Then, while on the Dextrose drip, all of a sudden I get horribly sleepy and pass out. In the hospital. My BG took a dive, even on the drip. In 2005 I spent a whole month at Mayo. _They_ couldn't get my BG to stabilize. Or my blood pressure. But they did eventually.

It is kinda nice getting a lot of attention from the medical team :smileywink: but I realize it's not a "good thing". Been checked for pancreatitis, insulinoma, etc. Nothing the docs can find. Some of the meds I take are known to mess with BG (Trileptal, prednisone) but not cause these weird BG dives. Other than having most of my pancreas removed the docs are out of ideas. So am I.

Thanx for all the suggestions, it's great having all these replies so quickly.

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,075
Topics: 210
High Fives: 1,619
Solutions: 181
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

CSlim17 wrote:

Wow, thanks for the quick replies !

>> ... I see you are testing. Do you know when your peak is after meals? If so use that for your tests, if not do a little extra testing to find it. This may help: Getting Started

Have read your "Getting Started". I do test every 15 when I change diet, or when I get any "weird" symptoms. Then take it to my endo doc and nutritionist. Depending on what I eat my BG rises and lowers per what the doc says is normal. A good balance of fat to proteins to complex carbs and I rise for 30 mins to around 140, then slowly drop the next 2 - 3 hours back to 100.

Set tighter goals for a few days. Aim for 125 instead of 140.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Responder
techguy87114
Total Posts: 34
Registered on: ‎03-03-2012

Mike,

you can do it! I think a few days will set you on a new path of lower BSL's. Myself, being so new diag'd ( 02/07/2012) struggle with this myself but have worked hard to keep my levels low. Its hard work until you get into a routine with it.. then its like brushing your teeth. It becomes a habit.

Best,

techguy87114

Responder
thiruvelan
Total Posts: 19
Registered on: ‎11-03-2009

Welcome to this Forum, you are at right place and I hope you can find solutions for most of your health conditions through this forum. I think already you got various useful direction towards improved health provided by morrisolder

Occasional Responder
BibleBarb56
Total Posts: 10
Registered on: ‎03-14-2012

Re: Resources for People with Diabetes (Click here if you're new!)

Hiya I'm Barb and I'm new here. I just read your post and saw where your sugars are higher and you are not eating much. Just to let you know that stress and illness can raise your blood sugars. If things don't go back to normal after your cold is gone, I would call your DR. Good Luck To You!!!