ADAMateo
Total Posts: 794
Topics: 183
High Fives: 163
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Resources for People with Diabetes (Click here if you're new!)

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the American Diabetes Association Community!

On behalf of the American Diabetes Association, thanks for checking out our online community. We hope that you will find our website and the many individuals in our online community to be a valuable resource for you as you fight and manage your diabetes. On these message boards, you can meet and talk with others who have diabetes. This is a place to find and identify with others who are or have been in the same boat as you. Check out the links below for support, information, and friends.

More Information about Diabetes

If you're coming here, you may be just beginning to learn all about what diabetes actually is. These links will take you to some of our pages about the "basics" of diabetes:

Type 1 vs. Type 2
Symptoms
Common Terms
Diabetes Myths

Diabetes Treatment and Care

Have questions about how to take care of your diabetes? Find some answers on our main website: www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care

Our Message Boards

We have a number of more specific message boards where you can talk more with others and ask questions from knowledgeable individuals. Introduce yourself here, but please be sure to visit the board(s) that is/are relevant to you!

Adults Living with Type 1
Adults Living with Type 2
The Place for Parents
Teens & Young Adults

What Can I Eat?

When it comes to diabetes, everyone wants to know, “What can I eat?” It’s all about planning and moderation. Learn more here: www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food

Exercise Ideas

Regular exercise can be key in helping you manage your diabetes. Here are some thoughts on how much and what kind of exercise may be beneficial for you, as well as some simple but helpful stretches you can do anywhere: www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/fitness/ideas-for-exercise

Reporting

You may report any problems or violations to our Terms of Use by clicking the Options menu in the top right of any post and selecting Report Inappropriate Content.

-------

If you have further questions or any issues, do not hesitate to email our community administrator: community@diabetes.org.

We hope that our website and this online community will be a valuable resource to you as you begin to fight and manage your diabetes.

Thank you,

The American Diabetes Association

Matt Emery (ADAMateo)
Community Administrator
American Diabetes Association
www.diabetes.org

Feel free to email me (community@diabetes.org) if you have questions about the community or the variety of programs and online resources available from our Association. Please note, however, as a matter of precaution that I do not have diabetes.
Long Lost Member
sj1776
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎03-05-2011

I just started taking 12 cc of lantus & 1000 mg of metformin a day. This is day 5 & I have had a bad cold & I have not been eating much at but my numbers are higher than when I was taking glyburide & metformin. How long does Lantus take to kick in?
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,929
Topics: 564
High Fives: 1,987
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Hi SJ, welcome. 

First of all Lantus is what's called a "basal" insulin, which means it really has little effect on meal time numbers and really doesn't cover food.  Many people continue to take glyburide when starting Lantus because glyburide helps your body to produce more of your natural insulin which could help with meal time spikes.  I'm surprised that your doctor stopped that drug.

Lantus kicks in right away, but people are usually started on a very low dose to begin with and the dosage is gradually increased until the desired effect is achieved.  Does your doctor have you reporting your numbers?

It would help if we knew more about you such as how are your numbers running, what was your last A1C, what changes have you made regarding diet and exercise?  We're very nosy!

Another tip is that it's always good to start a new thread for yourself.  That way you can get more individual attention and more people will answer your questions because they notice them more.  

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Long Lost Member
sandihaas
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎03-09-2011

Hi.  I have recently started taking 500mg of Metformin a day and in addition I will be starting to take Humulin 70/30.  I also have never had to use a glucometer to test my blood until now.  I am concerned because I do not have insurance and money is very tight for us.  Most of the meds I need are all under $10 each.  But the test strips for my meter and the Humulin are both VERY PRICEY.  I was given samples to get me through the first 5 days at the dr office today.  Does anyone know of any programs that can help someone who does not make a lot of money get the meds and / or test strips they need, cause the last thing I want to do is get started and then not be able to continue.  Please help.  I am unfamiliar with how to check responses on this site.  So please if you have any info that will help me.  Email me direct at reptilereps@yahoo.com or through facebook under the name sandihaas .  Thanks so much.  Sandi
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,929
Topics: 564
High Fives: 1,987
Solutions: 142

Hi Sandi, welcome.

It's really not a good idea to put your private e-mail on the boards.  Anyone in the world can read it, and it could lead to problems.

Regarding your insulin and strips, here's a list I developed on the T2 boards:  click here 

You might have to get a different meter to use less expensive strips, but they're all just as good as the name brands.

Just check the box that says "subscribe" in this thread and you'll get a notice when a new post is added here.

Lizzy  
Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

(anon)
Total Posts: 0

I take ##### every day and I just heard an awesome success story from a man who was told by his doctor he would have to go on insulin for the rest of his life if his numbers didn't get below 100.  After only 2 weeks using #####, his numbers went from 198 down to 120!  Check it out at #########.com!
Long Lost Member
veryprettywoman
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎08-07-2011

Thank you for the information.

I have medicare and am wondering where I go to buy supplies.   I am a little wary of those companies advertised on tiv.  Seems like a hard sell.     Do I bill medicare myself if I just buy at the pharmacy.  Please can someone help me negoiate this system so I can get my testing supplies.
Long Lost Member
imasongbird
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎07-25-2011

My husband has not been formally diagnosed yet, but his numbers were high and we wanted to get started on the diet.  How do you know how many carbs a diabetic is allowed to have per meal/day?  I have looked for this answer and I can't find it.

Sorry, another question: What is the exchange list?  Do I have to pay attention to it?  If so, is this list on the site.  I have done a search for it and came up with nothing.  Perhaps I am looking incorrectly?
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,830
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,011
Solutions: 112

Using an exchange list is one way to keep track of the carbs a person eats.  For each item on the list, a serving has about 15 grams of carbohydrates.  Some people find it easier to keep track of two or three exchanges or food choices that figuring the carbs for each item and adding those numbers up to 30 or 45 grams of carbs.  Others prefer the flexibility of counting the grams of carbs, because life, and meals, don't come neatly divided into 15 gram units. 

Years ago, exchange lists may have been a good way to keep track of carbs, but nowadays, with nutrition labels on packages foods and easy access to nutrition data online or from a book like Calorie King's Calorie, Fat, & Carbohydrate counter, I'm quite sure that most of the people who frequent this message board prefer to count carbs directly.

This page will give you some ideas about what an exchange list would look like:

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/carb-counting/

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,831
Topics: 207
High Fives: 1,516
Solutions: 172
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

G'day and welcome

How do you know how many carbs a diabetic is allowed to have per meal/day?  I have looked for this answer and I can't find it.

Get him to ask his meter; that will provide personalised unbiased advice for him. This is how I do that (click on it): Test, Review, Adjust

Also suggest to him that he come on over to the Type 2 Discussions to talk to the others.
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)