Occasional Visitor
Delorisdee
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎04-08-2012

Recently Diagnosed for Diabetes

I was at International House of Pancake and felt dizzy, faint, like I was going to pass out.  There was a nurse in there and she gave me icing that you put on cake.  Soon after I felt better, how could icing make me feel better, when I need to avoid carbs and sweets?

The emergency team came shortly after, but after I ate the icing I felt a lot better and did not go to the hospital that day.  I don't understand, needless to say I forgot to mention it to my doctors, so I decided to bring it up here at the "Support Forums".

Thanks

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,912
Topics: 563
High Fives: 1,979
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Recently Diagnosed for Diabetes

Delorisdee wrote:

I was at International House of Pancake and felt dizzy, faint, like I was going to pass out.  There was a nurse in there and she gave me icing that you put on cake.  Soon after I felt better, how could icing make me feel better, when I need to avoid carbs and sweets?

The emergency team came shortly after, but after I ate the icing I felt a lot better and did not go to the hospital that day.  I don't understand, needless to say I forgot to mention it to my doctors, so I decided to bring it up here at the "Support Forums".

Thanks

Icing is pure sugar, which is the best thing to use for treating lows.  You also don't have to completely avoid carbs/sweets, but you do have to limit them.  If you limit them too drastically, especially if you're taking certain types of medications or insulin, you stand the chance of having hypoglycemia (lows). 

Do you carry your meter with you when you are out.  Tha's the only real way to know if you're low or not.  Often people feel low when they really aren't.  This often happens when you first start lowering the numbers or when the numbers change quickly.  It's a good idea to always carry your meter, and to carry glucose tabs, or yes, icing, with you,

What type of medication do you take?  What are your numbers usually and your A1C?

Here's a link that tells you how to treat lows:  click here.  You might want to print if to have around.

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,455
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Re: Recently Diagnosed for Diabetes

Usualy we try to avoid things that wil increase blood sugar quickly and greatly--like sugar and soda and the like... (including starches).

But when your blood sugar is too low, those kidns of foods may be exactly what you need to bring it back up quickly and make you feel better.  It sounds like that is what happened inthis case...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...