Responder
pupville
Total Posts: 41
Registered on: ‎10-15-2012

Question about Mood Swings

I was wondering if diabetes can cause mood swings.  Lately I have had a lot of them. I say things and then say to myself, "Did I just say that?  Why did I say that?"  My family has been patient, but there patience is dwindling fast.  My one doctor says no, diabetes cannot give you mood swings, but I don't believe it.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks so much!

Frequent Responder
Gibersor
Total Posts: 192
Registered on: ‎09-21-2012

Re: Question about Mood Swings

I haven't experienced mood swings myself but people talk about anger, frustration and guilt, and we know that there are lots of hormonal reactions associated with diabetes so mode swings sound totally plausible.

Lots of questions about it if you Google the topic.

... Rob

Rob - Type 2 since 2005
Toronto, Canada
Super Advisor
Spookiesmom
Total Posts: 1,453
Registered on: ‎02-17-2010

Do a finger stick when this happens. Swinging glucose can do it.
Barb T2 Omni Pod since 1-09
Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,095
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Like Barb says, BG swings can do those mood swings.

Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,567
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

NO WAY MY MOOD CHANGES WITH MY SUGAR LEVELS.. quick check of my levels... ok, yeah we do get the mood swings.  Managing your blood sugars for your physical health has the added benefit of making us less ornery and happier ourselves too.

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1
Advisor
Dragonstar
Total Posts: 1,109
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

Doctor says no mood swings?  :smileysurprised:

Wonder if he'd like to meet my daughter when she's in one of her "Wicked Witch of the West" moods from a high bs?  I think she'd change his mind rather quickly. :smileyvery-happy:

Mother of Courtney, Dx'd Type 1 in 2006 at age 14.

Self: Dx'd "Pre"-Diabetic 8/8/14 *and we all know what that means*
Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,823
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

I know for a fact that (uncontrolled) diabetes can cause mood swings. Just ask any one in the retirement community where I live about ME! :smileylol:

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

On 9/5/14 had amputation of my right leg, below the knee.

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,567
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

Dragonstar wrote:

Doctor says no mood swings?  :smileysurprised:

Wonder if he'd like to meet my daughter when she's in one of her "Wicked Witch of the West" moods from a high bs?  I think she'd change his mind rather quickly. :smileyvery-happy:

in fairness, daughters do have mood swings even without diabetes.  actually, I think her mood swings raise my blood sugar

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1
Advisor
Dragonstar
Total Posts: 1,109
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

"in fairness, daughters do have mood swings even without diabetes.  actually, I think her mood swings raise my blood sugar"

LoL   So true, so true!

I think in my case, her mood swings raise my Blood pressure.  :smileywink:

But yeah.  Throw mood swings from bs and mood swings from her PMS'ing on top of it and Holy (#*$  !!!  :smileymad:

That's when I thank God she's 21 and *almost* over puberty changes.  Our place is one of her Dad's houses so I keep telling her,

"Tick me off too much and I'm out of here!"   But she's my baby.. and needs someone to keep an eye on her at this time till she

gets her moods better with the depression and all going on. I couldn't move out.... yet.

Mother of Courtney, Dx'd Type 1 in 2006 at age 14.

Self: Dx'd "Pre"-Diabetic 8/8/14 *and we all know what that means*
Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 5,843
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

pupville wrote:

I was wondering if diabetes can cause mood swings.  Lately I have had a lot of them. I say things and then say to myself, "Did I just say that?  Why did I say that?"  My family has been patient, but there patience is dwindling fast.  My one doctor says no, diabetes cannot give you mood swings, but I don't believe it.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks so much!

Listen here, pupville, what the %$#&! are you trying to imply--that I'm rude or something? Where do you get off?

Oops, sorry, I really didn't mean that. Please forgive me. I'm so sorry--how could I write something like that? I'm horrible sometimes...

And yes, that's my silly way of saying you can definitely have mood swings because your BG is off. For me it's usually when I'm a little low and need to eat--I can get weepy and easily upset, but sometimes irritable and angry...

Maybe your doctor is drawing a fine line between "diabetes" and "too high/too high BG." Most people who know anything about diabetes know about these mood swings.

Below is something Alan posted on the type 2 forum--Thanks Alan!

Something you might like to print out for your friends and family.

Diabetes Etiquette for people who DON'T have diabetes

Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (August 2014): 5.7
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years