Occasional Contributor
CRob44
Total Posts: 7
Registered on: ‎01-08-2013

Prescribed 1000 mg of metformin 2 times a day

i was originally on 500 mg once a day.

Im being stubborn so im taking 500 mg 3 times a day.

I just wondered what the difference is in taking 1000 mg 2 times a day vs 500 4 times a day if anyone here has tried that.

Not sure why im doing it. I guess its because it seems alot to take 1000 mg because i dont want to take anything period.

Just started taking fenugreek, cinnamon, milk thistle, vitamin c, natures way blood sugar, but just taking 1 pill of those instead

of  2 to 3 like it recommends.

My blood sugar is around 280 if i go 24 hours with no sugar. If i eat my cereal before bed which im addicted too, then the next day

its around 325

I go back to the doc in about 2 weeks and concerned about it not going down . Im simply a sugar addict. and simply sometimes dont care otherwise i wouldnt wake up and eat a bowl of cereal

Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,593
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

Re: Prescribed 1000 mg of metformin 2 times a day

Can I ask why you are being stubborn?  think the complications won't affect you, or that you really don't have D?  I'd take the medicine the doc recommended, and if you want to be taking less pills skip the fenugreek, cinnamon, ...  I was addicted to coke. hated diet coke, make that detested it.  could get a teaspoon down... finally figured out to get diet ice tea down and adjusted.. loved my toes more than my soda. 

The metformin doesn't work instantly so I don't think you'd see much difference between the dosages times of 2x or 4x per day, others may correct me.  Taking it without food might be a bit harder on your stomach/intestines.  I'm not sure if you are looking for permission to non-treat this, help in getting over the hurdle to take it seriously, or what...  Diabetes can give you a swift kick that you won't enjoy, and ignoring it increases your chances of getting that kick.

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1
Occasional Contributor
CRob44

been taking 500 mg for over a year, what i was prescribed

Ive been taking 500 3 times a day , 1500 instead of presribed 1000 mg 2 times a day

where did i say i wasn't taking any meds.

Why would i skip the natural supplements that have no bad side effects???

Well the meds aren't working so far.

No i dont know why im asking , but i did ask is there a difference in taking 1k 2 times a day vs 500 4 times a day.

Occasional Contributor
CRob44

gonna start drinking a protein shake before bed instead of a bowl of cereal

Only problem is last time i did this, i would feel like im starving to death after i drank it.

Before bed is only time my diet is bad.

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,272
Topics: 214
High Fives: 1,668
Solutions: 185
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

CRob44 wrote:

i was originally on 500 mg once a day.

Im being stubborn so im taking 500 mg 3 times a day.

I just wondered what the difference is in taking 1000 mg 2 times a day vs 500 4 times a day if anyone here has tried that.

Have you had any side effects from the metformin? If yes, then what you are doing is wise by ramping up from 500 to 2000 with an intermediate step. If not, you should at least let your doctor know what you are doing because the doc may decide to add other meds based on incorrect knowledge of your situation.

Just started taking fenugreek, cinnamon, milk thistle, vitamin c, natures way blood sugar, but just taking 1 pill of those instead

of  2 to 3 like it recommends.

Those may or may not help you, but in my opinion for someone at your stage of blood glucose management they are expensive supplements which will have a trivial, if any, effect.

My blood sugar is around 280 if i go 24 hours with no sugar. If i eat my cereal before bed which im addicted too, then the next dayits around 325

You are aware of the consequences of eating cereal, yet you continue to eat it. You are right; you need to consider that as an addiction. I recommend cold turkey. As soon as you finish reading this get every packet of cereal in your house and put it in the trash.

That was not a joke.

You will have far more effect on reducing your blood glucose levels by taking that action than by consuming all of the supplements on your health store's shelves.

When you've done that, please read this: Getting Started

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Super Advisor
Spookiesmom
Total Posts: 1,453
Registered on: ‎02-17-2010

It sounds like you increased the metformin without your docs ok. Just because, why? Are you qualified to do that? But yet you take supplements that are expensive, and won't do a thing. Hmmmmm

You need to decide if your eyes, feet, kidneys, heart are worth that bowl of cereal every day. Diabetes can kill you, but it's not fast. Slow and painful, bit by bit.

Your choice.
Barb T2 Omni Pod since 1-09
Frequent Advisor
Hornet62
Total Posts: 534
Registered on: ‎03-17-2011

You have my permission to refuse to do what your doctor prescribes and slowly lose limbs and organs until you are dead and buried.  I hope this helps.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Levimir 55 units in the morning and at bedtime
Novolog 50 units with each meal
Metformin 1000 mg twice daily
Neurontin (gabapentin) 300 mg twice daily (neuropathy)
Metoprolol 50 mg twice daily (hypertension)
Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) 25 mg daily (hypertension)
Crestor 20 mg at bedtime (hypercholesterolemia)
Multivitamin daily
Aspirin 81 mg daily
Lovaza 2 gm twice daily
Occasional Contributor
CRob44

good grief, why are you all making up stuff

i never changed anything on what my doc prescription is

my prescription is 1000 mg 2 times a day and im taking 500 3 times a day to see what happens.

Occasional Contributor
CRob44

taking your advice, killing myself tonight instead, so please block my account

Occasional Responder
SamQuick
Total Posts: 6
Registered on: ‎12-24-2012

[ Edited ]

You are getting a lot of harsh replies.

I don't know if it is a big dinference between 4x500 and 2x1000 But, like you, I don't care to take a bunch of pills a either.

I think the consensus is that , either way you take it, you are going to be better off ramping up to the total dose prescribed than to take all those supplements either as well or instead of the pills.

I just started metaformin about three weeks ago.  In that time, I have gone from 1 to two then three pills a day, now back to two.  This was my prescription.  Three per day was terrible.  Mainly the side effects...but, I am the type of person who hardly even likes to take an aspirin if I have a headache.  

I love to have a bowl of cereal as well.  Right now, it is Life Cereal.  My BGL isn't as high as yours though.  Perhaps your bowl can be a future reward.

Good luck.  I am finding that this disease is depressing enough without any additional stress when your questions are misinterpreted.

Type 2
DX - 12/11/2012
A1C - 9.4 - 12/27/2012
Triglicerides - Astronomical