Advisor
grandto8
Total Posts: 336
Registered on: ‎01-24-2012

Pins and needles in my feet/toes and right leg aching ?

Hello again - I was diagnosed on January 12th, 2012 with type 2 D.  Thanks to the help I received here, I have now been consistently successful getting enough blood to test.  I have found the rubber-band to be the key for me.

Looking back over the last six months to a year, I started having pain down the outer aspect of my right leg, as well as pins and needles in my feet and toes.  Having worked for neurologists and neurosurgeons for many years, I attributed this to a possible diagnosis of MS.  Now I believe this is probably peripheral neuropathy.  Now that I am testing regularly I have found that my symptoms have greatly diminished.  I have also noticed an occasional needle-like sensation just above my upper lip and occasionally in one of my fingers.

My morning fasting blood glucoses run from a low of 97 to a high of 144, with an average of about 105.  The two highest readings I have had were both 144, following 1/2 cup of cereal with 1/2 cup almond milk.   According to the info I received from my Kaiser insurance, this is within an acceptable range.  Both of these readings dropped to 85 following exercise. 

I am feeling anxious about whether or not I am on track.  I have only seen my dr once, at diagnosis, and she made no mention of a follow-up visit, just to sign up for the diabetes ed classes.  I have signed up and begin them this week. 

Any thoughts on my situation would be appreciated.

Thank you kindly.

Diane

Diane
Diagnosed T2 1/12/2012
A1c 5.8 2/13
A1c 6.0 7/12
A1c 6.0 3/12
A1c 6.5 1/12
No meds - diet and exercise only
Mild left-sided arm lymphedema, so no BG checks on that side
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,502
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Pins and needles in my feet/toes and right leg aching ?

[ Edited ]

Hi, Diane, Grandto8!  Sure looks to me like you're on track and doing well with your numbers, exercise, and fuel.  I'm also glad to hear that your leg pain, and pins and needles sensation in your toes has improved.  I also had pins and needles when I first started walking every day to control blood glucose levels, and it turned out that I just needed to get some larger shoes (I also switched from walking shoes to running shoes for my daily treadmill-walking) and padded (Thorlos walking crews) socks.  I don't have any ideas about what could be causing your occasional lip and finger pain, however.  Maybe your doc will be able to shed some light on that.  I hope you will get a lot out of your upcoming diabetes ed classes.  I had a few, and always managed to get a few timely tidbits from them.  Everything that helps can be utilized in our overall plans, because it's not usually just one thing that works, but a combination of a whole bunch of things.  Currently, I think you have a lot going right for you.  Good job!!  And, I'd suggest calling your doc's office for a followup and A1c test in a couple of months, if you don't hear from them before that.  You might ask about this at your classes.  Good luck, and please let us know how it goes!  :smileyhappy:

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Advisor
grandto8

Hi Nancy, thanks for your reassuring message. 

I just purchased new walking shoes for my workouts and wore them for the first time today.  They are a half-size larger than my old pair and I'm very happy with them.  I am currently walking an hour on the treadmill 4-5 days/week.  I'd like to start using the elliptical too.  Seems like a lot of people like them at the facility where I work out.

Thanks again!

Diane

Diane
Diagnosed T2 1/12/2012
A1c 5.8 2/13
A1c 6.0 7/12
A1c 6.0 3/12
A1c 6.5 1/12
Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,593
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

When you see the 144 highs, at what point after eating is that?  I want to make sure you are catching the peak as opposed to it already coming down some.  To head off PN, tight control is really important.  It has helped me tremendously. I'll get funny lip feelings when my blood sugar is falling.....

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1
Advisor
grandto8

Hi sunritef, both highs of 144 were recorded immediately after exercising (to be exact, about 5 minutes since we live close to the facility).

Here's todays BGs so far - 

Fasting 112, 117 immediately after eating, then 85 immediately after exercise.

I'm all ears on any help attaining tight control.  What I've seen of this peripheral neuropathy so far, I don't like!  :smileymad:

Thanks for your help.

Diane

Diane
Diagnosed T2 1/12/2012
A1c 5.8 2/13
A1c 6.0 7/12
A1c 6.0 3/12
A1c 6.5 1/12
Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,593
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

it would be interesting to see the numbers at 1 to 2 hours after exercising.  If you test too soon, you don't give the food a chance to digest.  Exercise can make the number go up or down, depending on the intensity and the person.

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1
Super Advisor
yellocanoe
Total Posts: 3,142
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

I too have that kind of tingly feeling around my lips/mouth when my BG gets too low or falls quickly.

Tom

Diagnosed T2 October, 2009  A1c 6.8
Currently on Metformin ER 1000mg per day
Last A1c 09/21/2013  5.4
Advisor
grandto8

Hi again,

My fasting BG was 104 this morning.  I ate breakfast and immediately after BG was 117.  Then went to exercise, just got home and BG is 79.  I'll check it again at 1 and 2 hours.  Right?

Diane
Diagnosed T2 1/12/2012
A1c 5.8 2/13
A1c 6.0 7/12
A1c 6.0 3/12
A1c 6.5 1/12
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,994
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

grandto8 wrote:

Hi again,

My fasting BG was 104 this morning.  I ate breakfast and immediately after BG was 117.  Then went to exercise, just got home and BG is 79.  I'll check it again at 1 and 2 hours.  Right?

A question:  how long was "immediately after"? 

The numbers all look pretty good, if you're checking exercise numbers 1 hour after should tell you a lot.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Advisor
grandto8

Hi Lizzy - I took my last bite, got up, set my plate on the counter, washed my hands and tested.  :smileyhappy:

Diane
Diagnosed T2 1/12/2012
A1c 5.8 2/13
A1c 6.0 7/12
A1c 6.0 3/12
A1c 6.5 1/12