Responder
jgspringer
Total Posts: 18
Registered on: ‎03-28-2012

Re: Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act

I retract that last post, which it appears you removed anyway.

And replace it with this.

For my part there will be no further responses to any debate or comment on anything to do with the health care legislation. It is boring, frustrating and pointless.

I am ending my part of the thread. So just let Morris and whoever wants to, say whatever they like. I don't care, and will not respond. It wouldn't matter anyway.

They can say whatever they like no matter how full of half truths and cooked mathematics. But when they are confronted with cold hard truth and reality, be it about their points, or about who and what they really are outside the ADA, that is personal and unacceptable. Even if it explains how they make their claims and points on this forum. That seems valuable to me.

But, It would appear that the ADA prefers to Champion the Liberal Activist voice that supports their own Lobbying efforts, and Silence the average Conservative persons voice that does not.... So be it.

Greg

Diagnosed August 2008 Type 2 + 5 Additional Chronic Illnesses on top
Weight at time of diagnosis 312
Current weight 185
Time to lose 12 months has been off for 3 years.
a1c - 4.3 to 5.3 for the last 3.5 years
Cholesterol and Blood pressure both well within the norms for non-diabetics

Metformin 1000mg 2x /day
Lisinopril 10-12.5 1/day
Simvastatin 20mg / day
Lovaza 1GM 4x / day
Bupropion HCL XL 450mg / day
Trazodone 150 mg / day
Topiramate 300 mg / day
Clonazepam 1mg / day
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,832
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,927
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

jgspringer wrote:

I retract that last post, which it appears you removed anyway.

And replace it with this.

For my part there will be no further responses to any debate or comment on anything to do with the health care legislation. It is boring, frustrating and pointless.

I am ending my part of the thread. So just let Morris and whoever wants to, say whatever they like. I don't care, and will not respond. It wouldn't matter anyway.

They can say whatever they like no matter how full of half truths and cooked mathematics. But when they are confronted with cold hard truth and reality, be it about their points, or about who and what they really are outside the ADA, that is personal and unacceptable. Even if it explains how they make their claims and points on this forum. That seems valuable to me.

But, It would appear that the ADA prefers to Champion the Liberal Activist voice that supports their own Lobbying efforts, and Silence the average Conservative persons voice that does not.... So be it.

Apparently you just can't stop the mud slinging can you?

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Responder
jgspringer

#1 Called him no names. Don't know where you got that.

#2 There no Accusations only Facts that can be easily backed up by simple Google search.

#3 I could write a book of rebuttals to his claims

#4 I admitted that I am sure he feels the same about my views as I do about his and probably to some degree Justifiably so.

#5 I stated that I never wanted this to continue after the first day and offered an end to it at that time to simply agree to disagree on the subject, and I am still willing to do so.

#6 I never claimed to have any credibility. I only have very strong beliefs based on historical facts and the knowledge of the principles and documents that our nation was

founded on. Nothing in that Bill fits in to any part of our founding documents or principles.

All I would ask of you is that in the future, before you attack me, please have your facts straight.

Greg

Current weight 185

Metformin 1000mg 2x /day
Lisinopril 10-12.5 1/day
Simvastatin 20mg / day
Lovaza 1GM 4x / day
Trazodone 150 mg / day
Topiramate 300 mg / day
Clonazepam 1mg / day
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,832
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,927
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

To readers of this thread:

Learn the "real" facts, learn the "true" facts:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/healthreform/healthcare-overview

Don't be mislead, learn from the source!!!!!

Stop killing people, pass the act NOW!

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,429
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

jpg391 wrote:

For the most part, I agree with what is in The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. The only part that I do not part that kicks in 2014 requiring people to buy health insurance.

In what way is that mandate different than the current mandate that requires everyone to buy a retirement account (social security) or medical care (Medicare) through payroll taxes?

I can think of 3 ways:

• people who do not have earned wages are not subject to social security and Medicare taxes,  Then again, people with income under $40,000 will not be subject to the mandate in the new law.
  • people who die before reaching the age for those benefits have paid in but never collect,  With the new mandate, however, the benefits are immediate.
  • Medicare and social security are government-run programs--whereas the required medical policy will be a private insurance company product.

The primary objection seems to be the last one.  If Medicare and Social Security are okay, then the implication is that if the government had simply established a government run system for all, like Medicare, but for people of all ages, then the mandate would be okay...  I would prefer such a system, but, in addition to the insurance companies,  it was blocked by many of the same people who now object to the individual mandate...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Responder
jgspringer

I would like to take a moment to explain something to you all, and hope you will except it as an explanation and not an excuse. It has to do with some of my posts that have been made in the last 24 hours.

First and foremost. I would like to apologize to the entire community and to those who I may have directly offended. Some of the words I have used have been particularly venomous. Even though I am adamantly opposed to the view of some here, and feel that some should reveal more of what they do professionally, prior to posting as just another diabetic, that makes me no less wrong for the way I have behaved.

Now for my explanation. It's a little long but please bare with me. It is important to me that you understand what happened.

Is anyone on this forum familiar with a condition called Ultra-Rapid Cycling or Ultradian Bi-Polar Disorder? Typical Bi-Polar's cycle once or twice per year typically with cycles lasting weeks sometimes months at a time. Typical down cycle is obviously depression, and typical up cycle is euphoria. The same is true with rapid cycler's only they will have as many as four events per year Ultra-Rapid or Ultradian's may cycle multiple times in a day or even in an hour. This is the condition that I suffer from, in addition to T2 diabetes and the other 5 Chronic illnesses that I was diagnosed with at that time.

Not only am I unusual to be an Ultra-Rapid Cycling Bi-Polar, but my high cycle is not euphoria, it is aggression. I typically stay well controlled with my meds, and by watching my high side triggers. Managing Diabetes, and the other Chronic Illnesses is indeed a challenge, but are a cake walk compared to managing the bi-polar condition. My doctor and counselor believe I have developed the condition from a number of causes. When I was diagnosed, there was the shock of all the chronic illnesses, plus I was, of course, morbidly obese, and had been for most of my adult life. My doctor told me, and rightly so, that if I did not change practically everything in my life, I would probably not live to see 50. I was 44 at the time. I was glad she told me that, and I credit her for saving my life by doing so. However, I am an almost pure choleric or High "D" personality (depending on which personality profile test you take), so I did not mess around making changes. Within 6 months my cholesterol and blood pressure numbers were within normal range, and my a1c was 4.3. My doc asked me to manage my a1c back up over 5 which I have done and have held between 5 and 5.3 since that time 4 years ago. I lost 115 pounds in the first 12 months and were it not for the psychotropic drugs I would have continued losing. However, they derailed me for a while. My total weight loss now is 127 pounds.

Also, during this 4 year time frame the economy turned down and I took 2 pay cuts before being laid of from my first job, found another management job for less money, lost that job, found another management job for less money, lost that job, was unemployed for 6 months and took a part time job working for a big box store in retail for 1/5th what I was making at my last job.

Overall I have completely lost my identity and my mind I guess. I don't recognize the person in the mirror physically, I don't recognize the person I am financially, and I don't recognize the person I am from a career basis either. So I really just don't know who I am anymore.

I have had a very challenging week this past week. I have cycled in and out of depression all week, mostly in. However, I have been cycling from High to Low very badly over the last two days. This morning I realized that I had totally jacked up how I had been taking my meds. I'm not even sure if I had been taking them at all. Which means that I wasn't recognizing my triggers correctly and certainly wasn't dealing with them correctly. This would explain the explosive and nasty posts that were coming out on this forum.

I know after thinking about it from earlier posts, that some of the stuff coming at me was triggering me, but I had been dealing with it earlier in the week. Unfortunately, without my meds being right, I was neither recognizing them or dealing with them properly.

Once again, I apologize. I believe I have my meds back on track and my mind back in check. If ever it seems that I become particularly irrational or venomous you may want to ask me if I've taken my meds or if I'm cycling up and paying attention to my triggers. It might be a little risky but I can't bite you through the internet. :smileywink: 

Greg

Current weight 185

Metformin 1000mg 2x /day
Lisinopril 10-12.5 1/day
Simvastatin 20mg / day
Lovaza 1GM 4x / day
Trazodone 150 mg / day
Topiramate 300 mg / day
Clonazepam 1mg / day
Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,364
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

jgspringer wrote:

I would like to take a moment to explain something to you all, and hope you will except it as an explanation and not an excuse. It has to do with some of my posts that have been made in the last 24 hours.

First and foremost. I would like to apologize to the entire community and to those who I may have directly offended. Some of the words I have used have been particularly venomous. Even though I am adamantly opposed to the view of some here, and feel that some should reveal more of what they do professionally, prior to posting as just another diabetic, that makes me no less wrong for the way I have behaved.

Now for my explanation. It's a little long but please bare with me. It is important to me that you understand what happened.

Is anyone on this forum familiar with a condition called Ultra-Rapid Cycling or Ultradian Bi-Polar Disorder? Typical Bi-Polar's cycle once or twice per year typically with cycles lasting weeks sometimes months at a time. Typical down cycle is obviously depression, and typical up cycle is euphoria. The same is true with rapid cycler's only they will have as many as four events per year Ultra-Rapid or Ultradian's may cycle multiple times in a day or even in an hour. This is the condition that I suffer from, in addition to T2 diabetes and the other 5 Chronic illnesses that I was diagnosed with at that time.

Not only am I unusual to be an Ultra-Rapid Cycling Bi-Polar, but my high cycle is not euphoria, it is aggression. I typically stay well controlled with my meds, and by watching my high side triggers. Managing Diabetes, and the other Chronic Illnesses is indeed a challenge, but are a cake walk compared to managing the bi-polar condition. My doctor and counselor believe I have developed the condition from a number of causes. When I was diagnosed, there was the shock of all the chronic illnesses, plus I was, of course, morbidly obese, and had been for most of my adult life. My doctor told me, and rightly so, that if I did not change practically everything in my life, I would probably not live to see 50. I was 44 at the time. I was glad she told me that, and I credit her for saving my life by doing so. However, I am an almost pure choleric or High "D" personality (depending on which personality profile test you take), so I did not mess around making changes. Within 6 months my cholesterol and blood pressure numbers were within normal range, and my a1c was 4.3. My doc asked me to manage my a1c back up over 5 which I have done and have held between 5 and 5.3 since that time 4 years ago. I lost 115 pounds in the first 12 months and were it not for the psychotropic drugs I would have continued losing. However, they derailed me for a while. My total weight loss now is 127 pounds.

Also, during this 4 year time frame the economy turned down and I took 2 pay cuts before being laid of from my first job, found another management job for less money, lost that job, found another management job for less money, lost that job, was unemployed for 6 months and took a part time job working for a big box store in retail for 1/5th what I was making at my last job.

Overall I have completely lost my identity and my mind I guess. I don't recognize the person in the mirror physically, I don't recognize the person I am financially, and I don't recognize the person I am from a career basis either. So I really just don't know who I am anymore.

I have had a very challenging week this past week. I have cycled in and out of depression all week, mostly in. However, I have been cycling from High to Low very badly over the last two days. This morning I realized that I had totally jacked up how I had been taking my meds. I'm not even sure if I had been taking them at all. Which means that I wasn't recognizing my triggers correctly and certainly wasn't dealing with them correctly. This would explain the explosive and nasty posts that were coming out on this forum.

I know after thinking about it from earlier posts, that some of the stuff coming at me was triggering me, but I had been dealing with it earlier in the week. Unfortunately, without my meds being right, I was neither recognizing them or dealing with them properly.

Once again, I apologize. I believe I have my meds back on track and my mind back in check. If ever it seems that I become particularly irrational or venomous you may want to ask me if I've taken my meds or if I'm cycling up and paying attention to my triggers. It might be a little risky but I can't bite you through the internet. :smileywink: 

Many of us here have multiple medical conditions, including bi-polar and depression.  Depression frequently goes hand in glove with diabetes for some reason, and it can be a struggle, even without the manic episodes.  Also, a lot of us have struggles with high blood pressure, and high cholesterol, and fibro myalgia, and just about anything you can name.  All at once.  It's scary, frustrating and expensive to deal with, and many of us are on fixed incomes, without insurance or any way to pay for medications, and sometimes just doing without.  The economic downturn has hit almost everyone,either directly or indirectly, me included.

I'm honestly a little confused about  "feel that some should reveal more of what they do professionally prior to posting" ....what do you think we do?  I work as a tax accountant for a very conservative company.  My opinions are my own and no one else's.  I'm concerned when I see people make statements like that one, because it implies something unsavory. 

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise starting today.
ADAMateo
Total Posts: 794
Topics: 183
High Fives: 163

Thank you all for getting this discussion back on track.

My own comments on what has transpired were already mentioned by others, and a reconciliation for inappropriate behaviors has already happened.

I have very much appreciated this conversation overall, and I thank Jgspringer for starting it. I hope that we can all continue to listen to and learn from others on this subject. Talking about it yesterday at length with some friends of mine, one quickly realizes, as I stated previously, just how multifaceted the issue is.

Cheers,

Matt Emery (ADAMateo)
Community Administrator
American Diabetes Association
www.diabetes.org

Feel free to email me (community@diabetes.org) if you have questions about the community or the variety of programs and online resources available from our Association. Please note, however, as a matter of precaution that I do not have diabetes.
Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,364

ADAMateo wrote:

My own comments on what has transpired were already mentioned by others, and a reconciliation for inappropriate behaviors has already happened.

I have very much appreciated this conversation overall, and I thank Jgspringer for starting it. I hope that we can all continue to listen to and learn from others on this subject. Talking about it yesterday at length with some friends of mine, one quickly realizes, as I stated previously, just how multifaceted the issue is.

Cheers,

I would like to see the conversation continue, as well.  I think it's important, and timely.  I would also like to see it done with respect and without hyperbole and political rhetoric would also be great.  It's important to remember than intelligent people can come to different conclusions about things and not be horrible people for having done so.  I believe that those who have a different belief and understanding make valid points.  If their arguments -- or mine -- fail to change any minds, that's okay, so long as we get a better understanding of ourselves from it.

I have had my own convictions affirmed and enforced by the discussions about this issue, and I'm more convinced than ever about my own opinions.  Not because they have been validated by others, but because I understand them better.  But because I feel that I may be right does not mean that makes everyone else automatically wrong.  I think we sometimes think in terms of "winners" and "losers" in every debate.  Sometimes both sides are equally right....and equally wrong.  Or better still, they are only different. 

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise starting today.
Super Advisor
Jpg391
Total Posts: 5,384
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

Talvie wrote:

ADAMateo wrote:

Cheers,

I would like to see the conversation continue, as well.  I think it's important, and timely.  I would also like to see it done with respect and without hyperbole and political rhetoric would also be great.  It's important to remember than intelligent people can come to different conclusions about things and not be horrible people for having done so.  I believe that those who have a different belief and understanding make valid points.  If their arguments -- or mine -- fail to change any minds, that's okay, so long as we get a better understanding of ourselves from it.

I have had my own convictions affirmed and enforced by the discussions about this issue, and I'm more convinced than ever about my own opinions.  Not because they have been validated by others, but because I understand them better.  But because I feel that I may be right does not mean that makes everyone else automatically wrong.  I think we sometimes think in terms of "winners" and "losers" in every debate.  Sometimes both sides are equally right....and equally wrong.  Or better still, they are only different. 

I would also like to see this discussion continue. I have posted a couple of times that I agree with some of the provisions of this act and some that I do not agree with. But I will say this, at least it's a start.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery.
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety