Frequent Visitor
nascargirl3858
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎10-07-2012

Newly Diagnosed

I was just diagnosed with type 2 about 3 weeks ago. I am still learning how to add my meal's carbs when on the go. Does anyone know of a good phone app I can use that adds carbs?

Greatly appreciated:smileyhappy:

Gina

Gina :smileyhappy:
Diagnosed 9/18/2012
A1C 6.7 BS 157
Advisor
LatheP
Total Posts: 115
Registered on: ‎01-11-2011

Re: Newly Diagnosed

Hi,

Welcome. I used to use a lot of apps when I was 1st diagnosed (Oct 2010). I ended up just dropping carbs from my diet. It's much easier...and much healthier. What were your numbers when you found out?

Lathe Poland
Director/Producer
"Carb-Loaded: A Culture Dying to Eat"
Type 2 - Diagnosed : Oct of 2010 (A1C 8.3).
Stopped medication: Oct 2011
Latest A1C - 5.4 : Mar 2013
Managed with diet.

Super Advisor
suesmith
Total Posts: 406
Registered on: ‎09-27-2011

nascargirl3858 wrote:

I was just diagnosed with type 2 about 3 weeks ago. I am still learning how to add my meal's carbs when on the go. Does anyone know of a good phone app I can use that adds carbs?

Gina

I use "Lose It" on my iPhone, it was a free app which I also liked because I am sort of a cheapskate :smileywink:

Cordially,

Sue

Type 2
1000mg/day Janumet
DX: September 2011: A1C 13.6 FBG 389
July 2012: A1c 5.6 FBG 84
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,855
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,934
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Lathep wrote:

Hi,

Welcome. I used to use a lot of apps when I was 1st diagnosed (Oct 2010). I ended up just dropping carbs from my diet. It's much easier...and much healthier. What were your numbers when you found out?

If you mean completely dropping carbs that's not easier nor heathier for a lot of people.  If it works for you, fine, but it's certainly not necessary to completely drop carbs, just limit and control them.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Advisor
LatheP

Lizzy,

I agree with you...cutting carbs 100% is a bad idea (let's face it fruits and veggies have carbs). I'm talking about carbs from food "products". Real food has carbs. Food "products" are a real problem.  Unfortunately in our community people try to live on both sides of the line. It is possible...but much, much harder.

Lathe Poland
Director/Producer
Managed with diet.

lizzylou

Lathep wrote:

Lizzy,

I agree with you...cutting carbs 100% is a bad idea (let's face it fruits and veggies have carbs). I'm talking about carbs from food "products". Real food has carbs. Food "products" are a real problem.  Unfortunately in our community people try to live on both sides of the line. It is possible...but much, much harder.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "both sides of the line".  What line, whose line, and what makes it harder?

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Testing 101

All About Carbs

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Advisor
LatheP

Lizzy,

I'm referring to type2's that try to eat like non-diabetics...and then compensate with medication. It can be done...but it is harder. Even in the diabetic community (at least in the western world) many have this attitude that we are outcasts trying to eat like the "normal eating" members of our culture. The problem with that is....the western (Esp. The standard American) diet is absolutely abhorrent. The food pyramid was held out as a beacon for eating standards for many years. The result was (in part) the precipitous rise in type2 diabetes

Lathe Poland
Director/Producer
Managed with diet.

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,425
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,375
Solutions: 155
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

nascargirl3858 wrote:

Gina

G'day and welcome to the forum.

I can't help with an app; I think I inherited my phone from Fred Flintstone.

I'm a bit puzzled by the wording of your question. What advice have you been given on carb management and diabetes?

Please read this to see why I ask (click on it): Getting Started

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Rhodes, Greece)
lizzylou

The food pyramid was held out as a beacon for eating standards for many years. The result was (in part) the precipitous rise in type2 diabetes

I disagree with that statement for many reasons, including my 10+ years of research on the subject.  Food in itself, whether "junk" or other, does not cause diabetes. If one has the genetic marker for developing diabetes it can accelerate it's development, but food does not cause it.  These facts are certainly against what the current media states, they have their own agenda.  If you're going to fight a war, such as on obesity, you have to name an enemy don't you?  It's alway easier to take the easy answer, regardless if it's the correct one or even makes common sense.

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Testing 101

All About Carbs

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Advisor
LatheP

Lizzy,

Just to clarify...I think I agree with you but...are you defending the food pyramid?

Lathe Poland
Director/Producer
Managed with diet.