Occasional Visitor
lvelez0913
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎11-13-2012

Newly Diagnosed & Carb Cravings

Hi All! My name is Liz and I'm from South Central PA. About three weeks ago, I was diagnosed with T2. I was prescribed 500 mg Metformin 2X a day. The meds seemed to be working for a ltitle while (although my numbers never really went lower than the 140's even at wake-up), but the last two days my numbers have been in the 200's again. I don't have my follow-up appointment with my doc until Dec 3 (had to reschedule from last week) so I don't know if I will need additional meds, an increase in mgs or what. I'm kind of at a loss right now. I've been having some serious carb cravings and, unfortunately, caving to them. I'm really having a hard time watching what I'm eating and exercising. Has anyone else found this to be a problem? Of course, I had this problem before I found out I was a T2 but the cravings have gotten worse. I'm at least starting to learn what drives my  numbers up, but staying away from those things has proven impossible. 

~Liz "^_^"
T2 since Oct 2012
Frequent Responder
me_inGB
Total Posts: 115
Registered on: ‎11-03-2009

Re: Newly Diagnosed & Carb Cravings

Just a quick reply. 

Metformin takes many weeks to work up to it's effectiveness in your system.  Your doctor prescribed a pretty normal "starter dose".  Give it time.  It also won't help the most with after meal blood glucose readings - it works another way & helps most with your fasting (first thing in the morning) numbers.

I sympathize with the carb cravings!  We all make poor choices occasionally but the more you can avoid caving in, the sooner they will lessen.  Try small frequent "snacks" that include a protein or good fat along with a small amount of carb.  Protein and fat keep you full longer so it's easier to prevent the cravings from getting out of hand.  I try to keep my snacks to about 120 to 150 calories.  So it's breakfast at 7, snack at 10:30, lunch at 1, snack at 3, dinner (or another snack instead) by 6....  You will have to try various foods in various amounts - along with a lot of testing before and 1 hour after each time you eat - to know how your body reacts.

It all takes time.  You didn't get here overnight and you won't find all your answers that quickly either.  Be gentle on yourself.

60 yo married woman w/FTdesk job. T2 dx'ed summer 2007. Curr A1c 5.8, Metformin 1000 mg ER. Give yourself credit for what you do right. Stay active. Eat to your meter. Laugh. Plan treats & avoid cheats.
Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,095
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

The biggest thing I found to help with those cravings is to find a low carb substitute. Got a craving for chips and dip, trade in those chips for celery sticks and indulge...it's low carb with the celery. A handful of mixed nuts is good for the general munchies. Got a sweet craving, eat a pickle or three...yes, pickle. I know that one sounds like a strange sub, but for some reason a pickle will actually satisfy the sweet craving. I thought it was a wacky idea when I first heard it here, but sure enough, it works.

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,562
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

lvelez0913 wrote:

Hi All! My name is Liz and I'm from South Central PA. About three weeks ago, I was diagnosed with T2. I was prescribed 500 mg Metformin 2X a day. The meds seemed to be working for a ltitle while (although my numbers never really went lower than the 140's even at wake-up), but the last two days my numbers have been in the 200's again. I don't have my follow-up appointment with my doc until Dec 3 (had to reschedule from last week) so I don't know if I will need additional meds, an increase in mgs or what. I'm kind of at a loss right now. I've been having some serious carb cravings and, unfortunately, caving to them. I'm really having a hard time watching what I'm eating and exercising. Has anyone else found this to be a problem? Of course, I had this problem before I found out I was a T2 but the cravings have gotten worse. I'm at least starting to learn what drives my  numbers up, but staying away from those things has proven impossible. 

As someone noted metformin takes a while to take full effect, so your initial improvement probably mostly had to do with eating fewer carbs, and the exercise helped as well. Now that you are caving to the craving, the numbers have gone up again--that is a pretty good lesson you have there.

So the key is to find yummy alternatives that you crave instead of the carbs.  For me, a lot of the time that is nuts, nut butters, and dark chocolate (72% cacao and higher), but cheese, jerky, veggies and some dips, all work well. Find things you like and reward yourself with those...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Occasional Responder
sillspat
Total Posts: 9
Registered on: ‎11-05-2012

I hear you on the carb cravings! I was just diagnosed on Oct 30, 2012 , A1C: 6.2  Fasting glucose 1st Time, 152, 2nd, 133. Not very high numbers, but still T2.

It all started in mid-August. I woke up seeing double! Went to an ophthamologist and learned I had a 4th cranial nerve palsy. I was so freaked out that he would send me to a neurologist for a brain scan that my BP was like 190/120!  A month later, I came back for a visual fields test. If I had done badly, then I would have been seeing that neuorologist. Fortunately, my peripheal vision was perfect, even with the palsy. But...My BP was horrible.  I  was one of these people who never went to the doctor uness something wouldn't resolve on its own, so I went over 37 YEARS without a physical. After my BP was sky-high twice in a row, the opthamologist recommended I see a regular practictioner.  I chose my wife's internist, who gave me a whole workup, glucose, lipids EKG, and other things I won't mention....... It's a good thing, too, because I genuinely had high blood pressure that is now considerably lower, thanks to medication. All those years I had high BP readings, I dismissed it as white-coat hypertension. I'm lucky I didn't have a stroke, heart attack, or both.

Thanks to a 4-decades-long diet of pizzas, hamburgers, hot dogs, candy bars, and still eating Captain Crunch at age 52,  my triglyceride level was 430 in addition to the eleveted glucose.  My mom had diabetes and eventually died from it at 75. Her sugar got too low and her heart literally stopped in her sleep. However, and this is a big however:  She was morbidly obese, never exercised, and had other issues before she was diagnosed in her 60s, like thrombosis. By the time she was the age I am now, (53) she acted 83.  On the other hand, I was only about 20 pounds overweight with a slight post-40 male gut.  My bad eating habits and heredity probably both explain my  status, but I'm determined to do something about it.  So many people get scared when they learn they are diabetic, but it can be controlled. I look at it this way:  I'd rather have diabetes than a brain tumor or an aneyruism that was about to burst, which is what I could have had with that cranial nerve palsy. My vision went back to normal about 6 weeks later.

I now have an average blood sugar under 120 with a dramatic diet change and exercise in just 2 weeks. No meds yet, and I'd like to keep it that way. But, the hardest part is the carb cravings like you said. Everything I like has carbs, and it sucks not being able to eat like I used to. I've cheated a couple of times and my readings definitely reflect that.  My sugar goes up about 30-40 points the next morning when I exceed my recommended carb limit of 60g per meal. On the other hand, when I keep it to 60g or less, my "wake-up" sugar is about 105, and at most, about 115-120  2 hours after supper.  I just have to find snacks I like that keep me to this limit. And that's the hard part. Raw carrots just don't sound as good as a couple of Ding Dongs, but I know what will happen if I succumb to temptation.