Long Lost Member
kalexa
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎11-24-2010

Need Insulin but don't have health insurance

Help,

I'm hoping someone will read this and help me. I was recently diagnosed with Diabetes. My world has been turned upside down. I work as a temp and my temp agency does not offer health insurance. I saw a diabetic nurse once when i was diagnosed and she had approved my refills on a monthly basis for a couple months. I was told I needed  to have a primary physician prescribe my refills. Because I have  no health insurance, the out of pocket office visits are too expensive. In order for me to get insulin I need to be seen by a doctor. But I can't afford the office visits. There are non-profit clinics which offer a fee sliding scale. Because I exceed their requirements it will still be too expensive for me.

Can anyone help me get my insulin???

Thank you.
Kris
Frequent Responder
Anie07
Total Posts: 128
Registered on: ‎03-25-2010

Yes I have been in the same dilemma but I was unemployed at the time my doctors office helped me with samples for a little and them I was almost out and they had no more to give me so my doctor sent me to someone else in the office who deals with people who can't afford there medications she helps me apply through a government funded program that the pharmaceutical companies have and I was eligible to get my insulin for as long as I needed. so your best bet would be to ask your doctors office if they can help you with that. good luck I know how it feels to not know when your going to be able to get the medication that helps you. 
-stephanie 
-stephanie (aka anie07) Misdiagnosed Type 2 at the age of 17 rediagnosed Type 1 at the age of 21 after DKA 7 Total years with Diabetes.  Pumping Humalog in the Medtronic Revel 723 and Loving it.

Long Lost Member
hiloman
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎01-27-2010

HW

Responder
jenningsa88
Total Posts: 31
Registered on: ‎09-29-2010

Kris -

I am uninsured as well. I've talked a lot with my doctor's office. I started out getting insulin samples from my doctor. They stress to never go without but allow them to use their resources to help you find your meds. I would suggest looking into whether or not your hospital has a prescription assistance program. That's how I'm now getting my insuling and testing supplies. If that does not work out for you, try contacting the company that manufactures your insulin. I know that both Lilly and Novo-Nordisk have assistance programs. The diabetes center that I go to know that I dont' have insurance so they work with me over the phone on all of this. I go in very rarely for a visit.

Hope that helps.

Amanda
Long Lost Member
mbell7347
Total Posts: 14
Registered on: ‎08-08-2010

Kris,

You could try contacting your local Lions Club and ask them for help. Diabetics help is probably the number two priority of Lions today. The local clubs may not be able to help much so be prepared to go to the District Governor and any International Directors you can.

You could write (paper not email) your US Congress members and state Leglislature, tell them your situation and ask for their help. I have no idea how your congress-critters voted on Health Care Reform but this is definitely worth a shot. (I don't regard "OmamaCare" as a dirty word.) Helping you is the kind of thing congress-critters like to brag about.

You could write a polite letter to the head of the Emergency Department at your local hospital(s) and tell them of your problem. Remind them that paying for your insulin and test stripes is a lot cheaper than for them to pay to remove some of your bodily parts or care for you after that first heart attack. (My youngest brother was in your situation and he ended up going to the ER quite a few times...)

There is always the option of going to your Minister and discussing the matter. I suspect that most churches have little disposable income but they do have MDs and Nurses attending.

I worked temp the first half of 1989 and asked "how much is the premium for your health plan". I was told I could not afford their health insurance if I was only working at their minimum wage job...

I understand your feelings about being diagnosed; my brothers and I were all shocked (and horrified) when we were diagnosed and our Mother fairly upset. We've all "settled down" since then but the fact of being diabetic is always there, like a traffic cop at the same corner waiting for folks to slip up. 

I wish you the best.

Mike 

Long Lost Member
donald.palm@comcast.net
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎11-24-2010

yes me too, i just got layed of of work and have no insurance and the test supp's are so
high in price, my meds i get a wallmart they have $4.00 drugs for diabetes try them for your
meds

Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Sorry to hear about your situation. I don't have insurance either. If you can go to a nearby hospital that has clinics attached and ask to be enrolled in a patient at one of the clinics. Then once you get a patient ID number and an appointment, ask for for financial counseling. They will have paperwork for you to fill out to see if you qualify for charity care. Most likely you will be put on a sliding scale but the income limits will be much broader than what you were allowed before. Also they will help you to get on a prescription assistance program that will pay for your medications including insulin and testing supplies. It is well worth the try and it only takes a call to get a patient ID number and then getting an appointment and then applying for financial assistance. The other thing is to apply directly to the insulin companies and they have assistance  programs as well.  I know this is hard. A doctor should be willing to give you enough refills to last for several months once they have seen you.  Remember that you will  not be applying for state or federal assistance programs but for charity care which is for people without insurance or who are underinsured. Since you are a temp worker you should qualify.
Don't give up. There is help out there. I wish you the best.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.

Frequent Responder
__bsc_
Total Posts: 621
Registered on: ‎05-26-2010

Modern analog insulins require a prescription.  If you are able to squeeze some money to enable an MDI regime using the modern insulins, then find a walk up clinic that will agree to see you, give you prescriptions for the year and then order them from a reputable mail order place, some people even use pharmacies in Canada.  That being said, it is not cheap.

An alternative is to use the Relion R and NPH available at Walmart for $24.  These insulins don't require a prescription (thank you Banting and Best), but the don't have the best actions.  You may require several NPH injects a day to maintain a semblence of a stable basal.  Even if you choose to move to an R/NPH regime, I would still recommend you seek medical guidance on your treatment regime.  You may think that saving $100 on a medical appointment is great, only to have a bad hypo and be saddled with a $5000 ER bill.
Donald Palm says:

yes me too, i just got layed of of work and have no insurance and the test supp's are so
high in price, my meds i get a wallmart they have $4.00 drugs for diabetes try them for your
meds

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,548
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Here are a few links that might help:

Free clincs
--enter the name of your state to find local clinics.
Needy Meds --This one seems to link to many of the other sites and may be a good place to start.
Prescription assistance --some info is here, on the ADA website
Partnership for Prescription Assistance
Free Medicine Foundation --This one seems to be for Medicare patients—some wonder about the tone of the site, and think it might be a scam…
RxAssist
RxHope
Financial Assistance Information

I don't know a whole lot about these sites, and so would appreciate knowing which ones work best for you.

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...