Responder
Maggie54
Total Posts: 28
Registered on: ‎05-28-2012

Metformin and Kidneys

Hello all,

I have read the literature on Metformin and am concerned due to my reduced kidney function. Currently, I'm at a stable kidney function number (stage 3) for several years. My concern is that Metformin may cause more damage to my kidneys.

Has anyone had any reduced kidney function while on Metformin?

FYI: Cause of my reduced kidney function was due to Celebrex approximately 8 years ago.

Thank you for your time.

Maggie

Maggie

Challenges are what make life interesting;
overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,915
Topics: 563
High Fives: 1,979
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Metformin and Kidneys

Maggie54 wrote:

Hello all,

I have read the literature on Metformin and am concerned due to my reduced kidney function. Currently, I'm at a stable kidney function number (stage 3) for several years. My concern is that Metformin may cause more damage to my kidneys.

Has anyone had any reduced kidney function while on Metformin?

FYI: Cause of my reduced kidney function was due to Celebrex approximately 8 years ago.

Thank you for your time.

Maggie

A study that I found states this:

CONCLUSIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS

Although metformin is eliminated renally, and accumulation may conceivably lead to lactic acidosis, there currently is limited systematic evidence to substantiate continued reliance on the creatinine-based contraindications in use in the U.S. Indeed, in the modern era of eGFR, this measure of glomerular filtration appears to give a more reliable estimate of renal dysfunction. Metformin-associated lactic acidosis is exceedingly rare based on the available literature, and even though the use of metformin has not been comprehensively assessed in individuals with CKD, there is extensive evidence that this agent often is used without adverse effects in those with mildly to moderately reduced renal function. In the context of rising concerns regarding other glucose-lowering therapies, safety restrictions over the use of metformin in this population may result in the drug being stopped prematurely and unnecessarily in some patients. This may lead to significant deterioration in glycemic control and/or the need for other glucose-lowering medications, which present their own safety concerns. An evidence-based approach to prescribing metformin in this group appears warranted, taking into account the current pervasive use of eGFR in clinical care.

Source:  http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/34/6/1431.full

So apparently use of it with CKD is no longer as restricted as it was.  I assume that the doctor who prescribed it is aware of your kidney status.

If you have any concerns discuss it with the doctor.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Responder
Maggie54

Hi Lizzy,

Thank you for the information. Yes, I have discussed this problem with my doctor and she mentioned we'll monitor my kidney's regularly.

I'm just scared of my kidney's getting worse and don't want to end up on dialysis. One issue I have with Kaiser is that they don't seem to take the kidney damage I have seriously. The Neprologists explained to me that if my gfr number reduces drastically we'll combat that issue when it arises. My way of thinking is why wait until there is more damage, lets face the challenge now to keep any more damage from occuring. My diet and exercise have kept my kidney damage stable to this point.

The information you sent me sets my mind at ease.

Thank you again.

Maggie

Maggie

Responder
Maggie54

Added note: I'm getting a second opinion from another nephrologist.

Maggie

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,915
Topics: 563
High Fives: 1,979
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Maggie54 wrote:

Hi Lizzy,

Thank you for the information. Yes, I have discussed this problem with my doctor and she mentioned we'll monitor my kidney's regularly.

I'm just scared of my kidney's getting worse and don't want to end up on dialysis. One issue I have with Kaiser is that they don't seem to take the kidney damage I have seriously. The Neprologists explained to me that if my gfr number reduces drastically we'll combat that issue when it arises. My way of thinking is why wait until there is more damage, lets face the challenge now to keep any more damage from occurring. My diet and exercise have kept my kidney damage stable to this point.

The information you sent me sets my mind at ease.

Thank you again.

Maggie

There are always benefits and drawbacks with any medication.  In this case metformin is an excellent drug and serious side effects are very rare.  The benefit of taking the drug would be much better than the possibility of worse complications by not taking it.  Most drugs clear through either the kidneys or liver, so anything you take will have those issues.

There's also no other drug "like" metformin, so there isn't anything else you could switch to that would have the same effects.  Even if there were it would also more than likely have issues.

One thing that's for certain is that untreated high numbers will most likely cause major escalation of any issues.

Lizzy  

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Advisor
Carleen656
Total Posts: 411
Registered on: ‎05-11-2012

Maggie, many thanks for raising this question about Metformin.  I'm considered a "minimalist" because I don't want to take meds that are either unnecessary or liable to cause more damage/problems than I already have!

Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
1 Thes. 4:16-17
Advisor
Carleen656
Total Posts: 411
Registered on: ‎05-11-2012

Lizzy:

Thank you for the information about Metformin.  These meds are new to me and I'm not up to speed with risks/benefits ratios, possible damage to liver, etc., but I'm learning!  

My first question is always, "Will it interfere with my meds for severe arthritis (high doses of Methotrexate)?"  And then basically stop at that point. 

Thanks, again!

Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
1 Thes. 4:16-17
Responder
Maggie54

Hi Carleen,

I'm with you, I'd rather not take meds. At this point though,  uncontrolled diabetes could also cause kidney damage. I'd rather take the chance with the Metformin, than allow my blood glucose levels to rise uncontrollably. High blood pressure and diabetes are two of the main causes of decreased kidney function. This website has a great deal of information regarding diabetes and the kidneys.

Weigh your options and make a decision.

Take care,

Maggie

Maggie

Responder
Maggie54

Lizzy, yes I realize all meds have side effects. At this point, I'm better off on the Metformin.

Take care,

Maggie

Maggie

Responder
Maggie54

Lizzy, I love your dog photos. Are they huskies? So cute!

Maggie

Maggie