Advisor
grandto8
Total Posts: 336
Registered on: ‎01-24-2012

Lymphedema and BG testing

I am new to this site and just did a search for lymphedema, which returned 0 results. 

I am a breast cancer survivor (X2) with mild lymphedema of my left arm.  I was diagnosed on 1/13/2012 with T2 diabetes.  In the aftermath of this diagnosis I was so shocked and confused I completely forgot about how important it is not to have venipunctures on the affected site.  I have been struggling with getting enough blood to test with, but have great confidence with the help/advice from seasoned folks on this site that I will eventually be successful. 

Just wanted to post this in case any other BC survivors with lymphedema join the Newly Diagnosed and want to compare notes.  You are not alone! :smileyhappy:

ALL THE BEST,

Diane

Diane
Diagnosed T2 1/12/2012
A1c 5.8 2/13
A1c 6.0 7/12
A1c 6.0 3/12
A1c 6.5 1/12
No meds - diet and exercise only
Mild left-sided arm lymphedema, so no BG checks on that side
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,898
Topics: 563
High Fives: 1,966
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Lymphedema and BG testing

grandto8 wrote:

I am new to this site and just did a search for lymphedema, which returned 0 results. 

I am a breast cancer survivor (X2) with mild lymphedema of my left arm.  I was diagnosed on 1/13/2012 with T2 diabetes.  In the aftermath of this diagnosis I was so shocked and confused I completely forgot about how important it is not to have venipunctures on the affected site.  I have been struggling with getting enough blood to test with, but have great confidence with the help/advice from seasoned folks on this site that I will eventually be successful. 

Just wanted to post this in case any other BC survivors with lymphedema join the Newly Diagnosed and want to compare notes.  You are not alone! :smileyhappy:

ALL THE BEST,

Diane

Thanks Diane,

This is useful information that I'll keep in mind.

Here's a link from Mayo to tell others more about the condition:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lymphedema/DS00609

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more