Advisor
Total Posts: 336
Registered on: ‎01-24-2012

Lymphedema and BG testing

I am new to this site and just did a search for lymphedema, which returned 0 results. 

I am a breast cancer survivor (X2) with mild lymphedema of my left arm.  I was diagnosed on 1/13/2012 with T2 diabetes.  In the aftermath of this diagnosis I was so shocked and confused I completely forgot about how important it is not to have venipunctures on the affected site.  I have been struggling with getting enough blood to test with, but have great confidence with the help/advice from seasoned folks on this site that I will eventually be successful. 

Just wanted to post this in case any other BC survivors with lymphedema join the Newly Diagnosed and want to compare notes.  You are not alone! Smiley Happy

ALL THE BEST,

Diane

Diane
Diagnosed T2 1/12/2012
A1c 5.8 2/13
A1c 6.0 7/12
A1c 6.0 3/12
A1c 6.5 1/12
No meds - diet and exercise only
Mild left-sided arm lymphedema, so no BG checks on that side
Total Posts: 14,157
Topics: 575
High Fives: 2,193
Solutions: 148
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Lymphedema and BG testing

grandto8 wrote:

I am new to this site and just did a search for lymphedema, which returned 0 results. 

I am a breast cancer survivor (X2) with mild lymphedema of my left arm.  I was diagnosed on 1/13/2012 with T2 diabetes.  In the aftermath of this diagnosis I was so shocked and confused I completely forgot about how important it is not to have venipunctures on the affected site.  I have been struggling with getting enough blood to test with, but have great confidence with the help/advice from seasoned folks on this site that I will eventually be successful. 

Just wanted to post this in case any other BC survivors with lymphedema join the Newly Diagnosed and want to compare notes.  You are not alone! Smiley Happy

ALL THE BEST,

Diane

Thanks Diane,

This is useful information that I'll keep in mind.

Here's a link from Mayo to tell others more about the condition:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lymphedema/DS00609

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more