JenM24
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎03-07-2013

Just diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and feeling somewhat lost...

Hello everyone,

I was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes yesterday and I am feeling at a loss. The doctor prescribed me 1000mg of Metformin daily (500mg at breakfast and at dinner), gave me a pamplet and that was pretty much it. My appointment with the diabetes consultant and dietician isn't until the 20th. Should I be checking my blood sugar each day? I am already confused of what to eat and what not to eat and as a result haven't eaten much of anything today which I know isn't good. For example, I usually eat a yogurt and an apple in the afternoon. Is this ok or is this too much sugar? Any advice would be much appreciated.

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,929
Topics: 564
High Fives: 1,987
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Just diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and feeling somewhat lost...

JenM24 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes yesterday and I am feeling at a loss. The doctor prescribed me 1000mg of Metformin daily (500mg at breakfast and at dinner), gave me a pamplet and that was pretty much it. My appointment with the diabetes consultant and dietician isn't until the 20th. Should I be checking my blood sugar each day? I am already confused of what to eat and what not to eat and as a result haven't eaten much of anything today which I know isn't good. For example, I usually eat a yogurt and an apple in the afternoon. Is this ok or is this too much sugar? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi and welcome.

Here's some things I wrote to help you get off to a good start and also answer many of your questions,  click on the title:

Getting Started | Lizzy's Diabetes Lounge

Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,427
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

JenM24 wrote:

Hello everyone,

Jen, about the yogurt and the apple: it's all a matter of what you "do" with it -- how you and your body metabolize it (including exercise and/or meds), and the results you get (on your blood glucose meter).  So, as you can see, you need a meter to tell you that.  It's the only way to know.  Then if you count the carbs in the apple and the yogurt, you'll know how that amount of carbs affects your blood sugar.  With a medium apple without skin being 14g carbs and a 5.3 oz, cup of Oikos plain Greek yogurt being 6g carbs, that's a total of 20g carbs for your snack.  (According to Calorie King Calorie Fat & Carbohydrate Counter.)  You may then decide to cut that amount in half -- down to 10g carbs, or just have the apple, or just the yogurt.  You may do different things with them, depending on different days, based on current situation with blood sugar level and also amount of exercise.  Your diabetes educator may be planning on giving you a meter at your appointment in 2 weeks.  You could get your own, or you could ask for a prescription from your doctor, if your insurance covers meter and strips.  If so, find out from your insurance company which ones they cover.

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Advisor
LeadSinger
Total Posts: 531
Registered on: ‎12-07-2009

Jen, sit back and take a little time to read a bunch of posts here both the newly diagnosed and T2 forums.  There's a lot of free info here.  There is a pretty good probability that you will have to make dietary adjustments (maybe even some major ones).   The very first thing I suggest is that you get a copy of the labs from doc's office & do so with each & every visit in the future - just to keep track of how you are doing overall.

Yes, you will need to get a meter.  Check first with the center where you are going for your diabetes class.  It may be that one is included with your registration (then check to see what brand it is & ask your insurance company if that one is "preferred" with them).   OR (maybe in addition to the previous), you can just buy a house brand meter & test strips OTC at Target, Walgreen's, CVS, and others.  Those meters usually run $10 - $15 and test strips from $10 - $25 for 50 strips.

As someone else said, this is the ONLY way that you will know if your meds and dietary adjustments are working.

Oh, metformin is one of those drugs that has to build up in the system and does not take full effect for about 4 weeks.  So, do NOT expect an immediate showing of results with that new meter.

If the class does not teach you carb(ohydrate) counting - read these forums & get a little book (Calorie King) for about $10.  It's also a website. 

You have just become involved in a scientific experiment (food, meds, & exercise VS blood glucose readings) that can be a PITA at times.  Come on back with all your questions.  We are here to try & help.

Diagnosed T2 on 3/1/2007 with A1c of 13.0
Member of the 5% club for past 3 years
Frequent Responder
SugarFrosted
Total Posts: 814
Registered on: ‎11-07-2011

Hello & Welcome to the Forums, Jen!

You've been given great advice and links to very informative blogs. Read everything and ask lots of questions.

You're among friends here! :smileyhappy:
SugarFrosted aka AnnaM, retired ER/Oncology-Chemotherapy nurse
Little Rock, Arkansas
Diagnosed Type 2, Jun'09 at age 57
Jun'09 A1c: 7.2 F 154 wt 265 lbs
Dec'09 A1c: 5.5 F 80
Jun'10 A1c: 5.4 F 82
Dec'10 A1c: 5.2 F 71 wt 160 lbs
Jun'11 A1c: 5.3 F 76
Mar'12 A1c: 5.5 F 80
Dec'12 A1c: 5.1 F 70
Jan'14 A1c: 5.3 F 77
Aug'14 A1c: 5.4 F 78
Reduced-Carb Mealplan & 1 hr Daily Exercise! NO Meds!
105 lb total weightloss
Self-employed baker/cake designer since 1988...life doesn't get much harder for a diabetic, imo. My Online Cake Gallery: http://www.sugarfrosted.com/
Advisor
hockeyjim
Total Posts: 74
Registered on: ‎02-02-2013

Hi,

I'm fairly new myself.  There's a LOT of great people here to help us.  Just ask for it.:smileyhappy:

Cheers,
Jim
T2 Diagnosed 2/2013
A1C (4/14) 6
A1C 7
METFORMIN 1000 MG 1X A DAY
VICTOZA 1.8 MG INJECTED ONCE A DAY
PLAVIX 75 MG
COREG 12.5 MG 2X A DAY
CRESTOR 20MG
NORVASC 5 MG 2X A DAY
MICARDIS 80 12.5 2X A DAY