Occasional Contributor
LDOLFAN
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎05-20-2012
Helpful Response

Insulin

What should I do if I accidentally leave my bottle out overnight. Is it still useable or do I have to throw it away? And should I put it back into the fridge?

trisha01
Total Posts: 6,354
Topics: 307
High Fives: 674
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 72
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Insulin

LDOLFAN wrote:

What should I do if I accidentally leave my bottle out overnight. Is it still useable or do I have to throw it away? And should I put it back into the fridge?

Morning LDOLFAN,

1.) As long as your house temp is not over 86 degrees...your insulin is ok.

2.) As long as the colored cap has already been removed...your insulin is ok. IF the cap has not been removed, put it in the fridge and when you open that one, just test more often for 3 days, to make sure it is ok.

Opened fast acting insulins (= Apidra, Novolog, Humalog); and opened long acting insulins (=Lantus, Levemir) ... can be left out of the fridge as long as #1 and #2 conditions are met. 

Some insulins (as you may know) are supposed to be thrown out after 28 days. This is not necessarily so.

Trisha - Type 1 almost 30 years

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Occasional Contributor
LDOLFAN
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎05-20-2012

Thank you Trish for your help, I greatly appreciate it.

Super Advisor
wildflower142
Total Posts: 733
Registered on: ‎03-26-2012

It should be fine.  Once my daughter opens a vial of insulin she keeps it in her purse until it's used up.(usually every 2wks)  We keep unopened insulin in the fridge.

Chris mom to 4 daughters. Ashleigh 15 years old. diagnosed Type 1 @ age 11. Pumping animas ping. Dexcom G4 CGM
July 2014 A1C 6.1%
Advisor
kyfroggie
Total Posts: 275
Registered on: ‎11-23-2009

Some insulins (as you may know) are supposed to be thrown out after 28 days. This is not necessarily so.

Trisha,

Are you saying that an opened (but refrigerated) bottle of Lantus does not have to be thrown away after 28 days? If so, how long will it stay effective and safe to use?

Carol

trisha01
Total Posts: 6,354
Topics: 307
High Fives: 674
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 72
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

[ Edited ]

kyfroggie wrote:

Trisha,

Are you saying that an opened (but refrigerated) bottle of Lantus does not have to be thrown away after 28 days? If so, how long will it stay effective and safe to use?

Carol

Carol,

Any of the ones listed above, don't have to be thrown out at 28 days. I've used Lantus for as long as 6 or so weeks; same with Apidra, Novolog, and Humalog. I've also had times where they go bad at 15 days. There are some (T1's) that will use it till the vial runs dry. If anything looks amiss, with the insulins listed above - particles, cloudy, etc., then toss it - no matter how old it is.

P.S. I don't keep my opened vials in the fridge. If my dining room gets to around 86*, I bring in my small insulin cooler, and use it. It's just a small 6 pack carrier (hard plastic), and I put two ice packs in it, then put a shop towel over the ice packs, and put both insulin vials on top of the shop towel. That is enough to keep it from freezing.

Trisha - Type 1

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~