Occasional Visitor
ichooselife
Total Posts: 4
Registered on: ‎10-13-2011

Re: I have many of the symptoms

Thanks Talvie,

You have given me some great tips that I have already started implementing.  A few months ago my A1C was 6, but my fasting blood gucose level was below normal, so my doctor decided to just watch it for a few months.  I didn't know that I could buy a glucose monitor eventhough I don't have a diagnosis.  I am really trying to get my water intake in because I am also overcoming hypertension.  My blood pressure is normalized with medication; however, water will help both in weight management and in my blood pressure numbers.  Thanks again for responding.

Ichooselife

Occasional Visitor
ichooselife

I have extra fat around my stomach which has happened in the last 3 years.  I have been having headaches that I have never had before.  The most important symptom has been frequent urination.  I mean that I may go to the restroom 4 times in one hour sometimes.  My mom and dad both have diabetes.  I have a brother that has it, and I have a host of aunts, uncles, and cousins that have it.

Ichooselife

Occasional Visitor
ichooselife

Thanks lizzylou

Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,424
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

smilenjc wrote:

I think everyone miss understood me.  Im not saying that being overweight causes diabetes. I know many a skinny with type one and two as well as many overweight.  It is proven that severely obese people have a harder time controlling sugars and that it hits them sooner if they are genetically predisposed than if they were in a normal to slightly above normal weight. I just wish everyone the knowledge and courage to control it before it controls you.

smilenjc, we're very sensitive to any mention of weight that appears to tie it to a diabetes diagnosis.  The reason we jumped on your statement is that so many newly diagnosed people come in here beating themselves up because they believe they did this to themselves.  Not only do they have diabetes to deal with, but many of them must first overcome guilt for having gained weight and "given" themselves diabetes.  The idea that they have eaten themselves into this disease is not only a false guilt, but it just slows people down.  So, we want everyone to know that they DID NOT DO THIS TO THEMSELVES.  No matter what they ate, no matter how much weight they may have gained, chances are that the weight is caused by the diabetes, not the other way around.  If you have diabetes in your family, you have an excellent chance of having the genetic marker for it.  Skinny or heavy, it's an issue you will likely have to address.  But, this is a battle best fought without the emcumberance of  guilt that folks don't deserve.  Sorry if you felt like we came down on you.

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Type 2 Diabetes diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise, and 500mg daily of metformin.