Occasional Visitor
pug4mom
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎03-07-2013

Hybrid Diabetes

Hello, this is my first post in this community.  I am trying to get some information.  A little history.  I am a type 2 diabetic that was diagnosed 4 years ago.  Right now I am controlled with an A1C of 5.7.  My question is about my son who was diagnosed with diabetes Sept 2012 at the age of 18.  He had just had blood work in Jan 2012 and everything looked fine.  By Sept. he was diagnosed with diabetes.  Our primary had a gut feeling that it wasn't type 2, but something he called a hybrid of type 2 and type 1.  So we were referred to an endocrinologist and after testing we did  find out that my son does have the hybrid type of diabetes.  Does anyone know where I can get information on this type of diabetes. Is there anyone in this community that has this type of diabetes.  Right now he is taking metformin and watching his diet.  His numbers are much better. The endocrinologist said that his body is attacking his beta cells and some day will have to be insulin dependent.  There isn't a time frame.  It could be months to years.  I would appreciate any help.

Jill

Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,550
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

Re: Hybrid Diabetes

your description makes it sound like T1, but that it hasn't kicked in all the way yet.  I don't think there is a medical classification of Hybrid.  Adults that get it sometimes are called LADA, but it is really slow hitting T1.  I'd ask the endo if he has the antibodies of a T1 or what he meant by hybrid.

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,989
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

pug4mom wrote:

Hello, this is my first post in this community.  I am trying to get some information.  A little history.  I am a type 2 diabetic that was diagnosed 4 years ago.  Right now I am controlled with an A1C of 5.7.  My question is about my son who was diagnosed with diabetes Sept 2012 at the age of 18.  He had just had blood work in Jan 2012 and everything looked fine.  By Sept. he was diagnosed with diabetes.  Our primary had a gut feeling that it wasn't type 2, but something he called a hybrid of type 2 and type 1.  So we were referred to an endocrinologist and after testing we did  find out that my son does have the hybrid type of diabetes.  Does anyone know where I can get information on this type of diabetes. Is there anyone in this community that has this type of diabetes.  Right now he is taking metformin and watching his diet.  His numbers are much better. The endocrinologist said that his body is attacking his beta cells and some day will have to be insulin dependent.  There isn't a time frame.  It could be months to years.  I would appreciate any help.

Jill

I've heard it called type 1.5 or LADA, but never "hybrid" before.  What it really is is a slow-developing form of type-1, which usually comes on much faster.  He's still producing insulin, but the ability is declining.  And yes, there is no time frame for it.  It would have been nice if the doctor had explained it further.

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,904
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,047
Solutions: 115

I agree with sunritef and lizzylou that it sounds like what is properly called LADA or Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adults.

Type 1.5 is an informal name for the same thing but not the scientific name. 

It sounds to me too as though calling it a hybrid is just sort of an description, not a scientific name, since people with LADA can often respond to the same treatments as people with type 2 at first, before their bodies destroy the beta cells in their pancreas and they come to depend on insulin from ouside their body.

Here are some articles from Diabetes Forecast magazine that talk about LADA:

The Other Diabetes: LADA, or Type 1.5

Is LADA Distinct From Type 1?

LADA, the Other Diabetes, Can Be Hard to Spot

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Frequent Advisor
sunritef

what is confusing to me, is that I have never heard of a LADA diagnosis for an 18 year old.  Guess it goes with the prejudice of only children get T1 and never grow up.

Adult onset T1
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,904
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,047
Solutions: 115

[ Edited ]

You've got a point, sunritef, and I have no answer other than that even for younger kids, the honeymood period after diagnosis can last for a few week or maybe close to a year.  It could really be the same process as LADA in adults, other than the fact that doctors are far more prone to get it "right" right from the beginning with kids, because they expect type 1 in kids and are less likely to jump to the conclusion that they have type 2.

Can I just point out to the original poster that you are one of those people who started off with a diagnosis of type 2 until eventually it became clear that something else was going on.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Occasional Visitor
pug4mom
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎03-07-2013

yes he does have the antibodies

Frequent Advisor
sunritef

then he is a T1 and not hybrid.  It will get to the point that he needs a short acting insulin.  Make sure he tests, because how and when then switch flips is anyones guess.

Adult onset T1
Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527

I agree with Sunritef. The fact that your son is not on insulin yet but on Metformin is only because he is probably new at diagnosis and his pancreas is still making insulin. That will change in due time and your son will need insulin both in basal form and fast acting. He cllearly ahs LADA or type one. He will have to keep close tabs on his bg to know when he needs to change to insulin. Personally I think he should change now but that is just my opinion. To me Insulin is the best choice because it is a natural hormone that our bodies need to use to make use of carb grams.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.