Long Lost Member
kandisakacandycane
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎03-16-2011

Humalog 100/ML INJ Prices

I am Kandis's father Kevin and we are an uninsured family.  I pay all insulin supplies, doctor visits, etc., etc. cash out of pocket.  I get my receipts and save them for taxes.  I cannot afford to insure my daughter due to the out rageous insurance premiums that these legalized extortionists (health insurance companies) demand for whatever reason.

I have recently started getting quotes on supplies rather than just go to the local pharmacy all the time.  I solicited 3 quotes after my daughter purchased a bottle of Humalog from a Walmart in Farmington, NM (she is on the road today).  My daughter was charged $115 for a bottle of Humalog from Walmart, I confirmed this by calling Walmart and getting a quote to make sure there were no double charging or mistakes made.

THEN

I pulled a receipt from my local pharmacy in Rangely, Colorado and saw that a bottle of the same Humalog cost $57.00.  So for curiosity, I called Walgreen in Vernal, UT and was quoted $46.00 for the same Humalog.

What is wrong with this picture? 

From an outsider looking in, Walmart is charging more than double price ($115) for the same bottle of Humalog at Walgreen just down the street ($46) in Vernal, Utah and is charging double for the same bottle of Humalog that I can buy at a small town 50 miles in the country ($57).

I see price gouging at the expense of the people who have diabetes and cannot afford insurance much less afford cash out of pocket.

What can be done about this?  Who can do something about this?

Just the fact that I pay cash, do not have insurance, and am not on welfare should give my family a voice in the name of my diabetic daughter who does not deserve this.

I hope somebody replies I am interested in feedback and suggestions because I am disgusted over this problem.

thank you for listening to my vent out.

Kevin Dotson (Father of Kandis)

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,699
Topics: 553
High Fives: 1,854
Solutions: 137
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

You're right, but Walmart isn't the most expensive.  I live in the Washington D.C. metro area, a very expensive area.  I called three stores and got the following prices:

Walmart..............115.78
Rite Aid..............137.99
CVS....................128.99
Walgreens..........131.99  Downtown DC
Walgreens..........131.99  SS Maryland

I also called the Walgreen Store in Vernal Utah and sure enough it was $45.00.  I talked a bit to the woman there and told her what I was doing and asked her if she knew why there was such a drastic price difference.  She didn't. 

As you can see, Walmart is the cheapest price in this area.  I have no idea why Utah prices are so low, none at all.

The "log" insulins are always much more expensive.  I us NPH insulin because it cost me about $40 less a month than the "log" ones would, and I do have insurance. 

All I can say is you have to shop around, and also here's a list I'm developing of low-cost resources:  click here

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,278
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

It would be interesting to see if other stores in Utah charge the same.

Maybe there is a pricing error in that one store, although the $57 in NM suggests perhaps not.

Maybe instead of listing cheap places to get insulin, we should just tell people, move to Utah!

People have thought the same about Canada for years, so why not?
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

lizzylou

Well, since I was curious and since I have free long distance, I made some more calls:

Gallup NM.........136.99
Orem UT............131.99
Drugstore.com..124.99
Hurricane UT.......47.99 !!!!!!!!

Something's wrong in Utah!  I really quizzed them too.  I picked Hurricane because of the name, don't know how close it is to the other Vernal UT one.  Now she said that the price was for Humalog 75/25 mixture as opposed to the Humalog rapid analog insulin.  She said the Lispro one would be 131.99. 

I hope the poster's daughter didn't get the wrong kind of insulin.  If she was looking for the rapid(Lispro)  and got a mixture they're completely different. 

If she does, in fact, use the mixture the prices are cheaper, but in a range of from about 75.00 - 95.00 usually. So still not as cheap as the two UT stores.

Lizzy 
Knowledge is Power!

Testing 101

All About Carbs

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Responder
grumpybilly54
Total Posts: 48
Registered on: ‎03-09-2011

Hi, I too am  uninsured and I am also unemployed T2 who just recently underwent Bypass surgery, while in the hospital they put me on two inject insulins Humalog (VL7510) and Lantus both 100U vials and both cost me $112-120 each at either Wally world or Walgreens. I live in north east NC near the Hampton Roads area in VA. Since coming home from the hospital 5 weeks ago I have put out almost $800 on diabetic supplies with no relief in site. It is very depressing and we are suppose to heal?
Bye for now, Billy
T2 since 2007 or maybe alot longer
Always ornery
lizzylou

GBilly,
Check out this link  click here Those two insulins are on manufacturers discount programs and if you're unemployed you should qualify. 

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Testing 101

All About Carbs

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Frequent Responder
goldie07
Total Posts: 99
Registered on: ‎12-05-2010

Lizzy's suggestion is probably the best but if all else fails, try some community centers in Tidewater. I can suggest a few.  I do live in Hampton Roads Area or what some call Tidewater so I have some idea on where you may go. 
Responder
grumpybilly54
Total Posts: 48
Registered on: ‎03-09-2011

Thanks to you and Lizzy, my problem is this "Catch 22" between my wife's income and my unemployment we make about $800 to much to qualify for assistance. I have gone the manufacturer route and been told no cigar. As far as community assistance I live in NC, and been told the same answer by our help-lines here so currently I am biting the bullet while I try other resources, in the mean time my supplies are not getting any cheaper. Again thanks.
Bye for now, Billy
T2 since 2007 or maybe alot longer
Always ornery