Responder
Geek76
Total Posts: 35
Registered on: ‎01-21-2012
Helpful Response

How long does it take to get stabilized.

Since I've been regularly counting my BG somedays it is all over the place and others more stable (and progressing). How long does it usually take to get a regular healthy daily reading?

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,828
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,926
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: How long does it take to get stabilized.

Geek76 wrote:

Since I've been regularly counting my BG somedays it is all over the place and others more stable (and progressing). How long does it usually take to get a regular healthy daily reading?

How long is a string?

Everyone is different.  Some see results right away, some it takes a lot more time and possible changes/adjustments in treatments.  There's no way to say how long it will take for you.

Dietary and exercise changes seem to have the fastest effects, at least in the short-term.

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,346
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,363
Solutions: 154
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Geek76 wrote:

You'll often see us state that every type 2 is different; that is why testing is so important - to discover those differences and adjust our own lifestyles accordingly.

That is also why we can't answer your question. It took me three months to drop from 8.2% A1c to 7.5% - but that was using the standard dietary advice. My improvement accelerated quite dramatically once I started following Jennifer's Advice.

Keep testing and give it a little more time.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Cordoba: Alcázar de los Reyes Cristianos and Royal Stables)
Occasional Responder
clevemcs
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎01-26-2012

HI,

I was diagnosed in 2003 and it has been a tough job keeping numbers stabilized. All went well until I moved to a new job which is extremely stressful. Since July 2010 my numbers have been in the 200's and this week in the 300's. I just got out of the hospital because I was having angina pains. I am also a heart patient. I was taking glipizide and metformin and in January they put me on Lantus (the long acting insulin). That has not helped. I am taking 30 units of that at night along with the oral meds.

I have an appointment with my doctor (VA) in the morning and hope that we can come up with a solution. My AC1 numbers have been 10 for the last three test.

I feel at times that it is hopeless and wonder if all the meds are making it worse. I am afraid to just stop the meds to see what would happen. I just hope it gets under control soon because from what I know anything over 250 readings is attacking all the organs of the body.  Diet and excercise worked for a while but not it seems to be a raging bull destroying my body without any help in site. It is a ferocious disease that seems to be non ending. Hope to hear from others that may be having the same problem.

Cleveland

Cleveland
Responder
Geek76
Total Posts: 35
Registered on: ‎01-21-2012

This is what I fear. Two of my readings were over 250 today. I am still trying to figure out what to do to get it down. I have only been going through this for a week...earlier my numbers were dropping.

Sometimes it seems so hopeless.

I am starting again tomorrow to see if I can do better.

alan_s

clevemcs wrote:

HI,

I was diagnosed in 2003 and it has been a tough job keeping numbers stabilized. All went well until I moved to a new job which is extremely stressful. Since July 2010 my numbers have been in the 200's and this week in the 300's. I just got out of the hospital because I was having angina pains. I am also a heart patient. I was taking glipizide and metformin and in January they put me on Lantus (the long acting insulin). That has not helped. I am taking 30 units of that at night along with the oral meds.

I have an appointment with my doctor (VA) in the morning and hope that we can come up with a solution. My AC1 numbers have been 10 for the last three test.

I feel at times that it is hopeless and wonder if all the meds are making it worse. I am afraid to just stop the meds to see what would happen. I just hope it gets under control soon because from what I know anything over 250 readings is attacking all the organs of the body.  Diet and excercise worked for a while but not it seems to be a raging bull destroying my body without any help in site. It is a ferocious disease that seems to be non ending. Hope to hear from others that may be having the same problem.

Cleveland

G'day and welcome to the forum.

What dietary advice have you been following? This will explain why I ask (click on it): Test, Review, Adjust

I'll add a caveat. As you use insulin sudden changes from too many carbs to too few can lead to changing your blood glucose levels from too high to too low. That is very unwise and can be dangerous.

If you decide to apply that technique, please proceed cautiously after discussing the method with your doctor. Test after eating and if the result is high review the meal. Make a small change to the menu at the next meal of the same type. Repeat the process at that meal and continue with small changes, without risking hypos, until you see good numbers.

Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Cordoba: Alcázar de los Reyes Cristianos and Royal Stables)
alan_s

Geek76 wrote:

This is what I fear. Two of my readings were over 250 today. I am still trying to figure out what to do to get it down. I have only been going through this for a week...earlier my numbers were dropping.

Sometimes it seems so hopeless.

I am starting again tomorrow to see if I can do better.

What, in excruciating detail and including sides, snacks and drinks, did you eat today?

When, related to that menu, were those two readings?

Advisor
ronaka
Total Posts: 950
Registered on: ‎12-24-2011

I believe you are taking metformin? If so, it will take a good month or more for the metformin to have full effect. Also along the way the dose may have to be increased. Metformin is also not the best drug to control after meal peaks. With metformin only it helps to reduce the size of meals, but make sure you still eat 3 a day, with snacks in between meals.

Ron

Not a doctor, only another T2 diabetic with, unfortunately 11 year experience. Be cautious about accepting advice, including mine, on medical conditions from the internet. It can be a good place to get ideas, but validate them with your doctor and other medical professionals first.
Occasional Responder
clevemcs
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎01-26-2012

Thanks Alan for the response. We stayed in town in a hotel to recup from all the poking and sticking at the hospital with very little sleep. Will head up the 120 mile road home tomorrow and meet with my VA doctor. Then settle back down to a routine if possible. i am have major issues at my job STRESS at about 15 on a scale of 1-10. I know that has affected everything. Since coming to that job July 2010 my numbers have been out of control along with the addition of Lantas at night. Never had this much trouble before keeping my numbers within reason. It s like i have found a ten headed beast to fight.

Thanks again

Cleveland.

btw my middle name is Allen spelled witih an e.

Cleveland
alan_s

clevemcs wrote:

Thanks Alan for the response. We stayed in town in a hotel to recup from all the poking and sticking at the hospital with very little sleep. Will head up the 120 mile road home tomorrow and meet with my VA doctor. Then settle back down to a routine if possible. i am have major issues at my job STRESS at about 15 on a scale of 1-10. I know that has affected everything. Since coming to that job July 2010 my numbers have been out of control along with the addition of Lantas at night. Never had this much trouble before keeping my numbers within reason. It s like i have found a ten headed beast to fight.

Thanks again

Cleveland.

Stress can raise BGs, but bad food choices raise it more often and usually higher.

btw my middle name is Allen spelled witih an e.

Did you manage to teach your parents how to spell after you grew up? :smileyhappy: