Long Lost Member
cindymo
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎06-28-2011

How long does it take for food to affect blood sugars?

At this point I guess I am considered pre-diabetes.  Three months agao my A1c was 6.7.  My most recent one was 6.2.  How long after you eat something does it affect your blood sugar level.  On Sunday afternoon I ate 1/2 of a small blizzard.  I kow I shouldn;t have but it was my grandson's birthday and I decided to splurge and share a small one with him.  About two hours later I checked by blood sugar, it was 120.  I ate a light supper, about 2 1/2 carb exchanges.  Nothing to eat after that  I checked before bed and my blood sugar was 137.   When I got up Monday morning, it was 152.  I ate a instant breakfast with 1% milk.  For lunch I had 2 carbs, it was lean quisine meal.  Two hours after eating, I checked and my blood sugar was 175.  I don't understand why it was so high.
Cindy
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,420
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Those refined and processed carbs will get into your system faster than whole foods with more fiber.  And, if you don't get blood sugar back down to normal (say with a little exercise after meals and snacks), it will just keep going higher due to the diabetes.  Exercise with better fuel can help keep blood sugar in normal range.  Are you exercising?  I think you should work with doctor on getting blood sugar in control.  Let him know you are having fasting readings in the 150s.  He can also refer you to a Registered Dietician and Certified Diabetes Educator.
Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Long Lost Member
cindymo

I have been trying to walk most days - 1 or 2 miles, starting back at it slow due to leg injury.  I saw an educator/dietician twice but had to stop because insurance won't pay for education.   I can't figure out why my levels were high the day after I ate the wrong stuff.  If it was the ice cream, why was it only 120 two hours later.  My 'normal' fasting level is about 130.  I just seem to have these unexplained highs that I can't link to the food I have eaten.
Cindy
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,701
Topics: 75
High Fives: 941
Solutions: 110
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

How quickly carbs move out of your digestive system and into your blood depends on what you eat, and also on how quickly your digestive system works.  A can of soda or some hard candy would begin to make a difference in less that fifteen minutes.  A pizza, with fat and protein in the meat and cheese, might not reach its peak effect for three or more hours. 

Once the glucose has reached your blood, the question changes to "how long will blood glucose stay high?".    A sort of corollary to that question is how high was your blood glucose before you ate.

What I'm suggesting is that the instant breakfast may have had a lot more effect on your afternoon blood glucose than the Lean Cuisin meal.  There are two ways I can think of to help you decide if that is true.  One is to pay attention to labels.  Do you know how many carbs were in the instant breakfast and the milk you added to it?  Do you know how many carbs were in the Lean Cuisine meal?

The other way is to test both before and after a meal, to see how the food in just that one meal affects your blood sugar.  All we know is that your started the day at 152 and added about 39g of carbs with the instant breakfast.  Your blood glucose may have already been pretty high before your started lunch.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Long Lost Member
cindymo

I have been trying to walk most days - 1 or 2 miles, starting back at it slow due to leg injury.  I saw an educator/dietician twice but had to stop because insurance won't pay for education.  Cost was $200/hour.

I can't figure out why my levels were high the day after I ate the wrong stuff.  On most days it runs between 120 - 140 fasting and/or 2 hours after meals.  My 'normal' fasting level is about 130.

If it was the ice cream, why was it only 120 two hours later.    I just seem to have these unexplained highs that I can't link to the food I have eaten.
Cindy
Long Lost Member
cindymo

Ok, I get that.  I should have checked before lunch too I guess.  I have been eating based on what the diabetes educator told me.  She wants me to have 45-60 grams of carbs per meal.  When I gave her my meal plan at the second visit, I was only average 30-45 grams of carbs and she said that wasn't enough.   She had told me to check my levels once per day.  before breakfast on Tues, Thurs, Sat & Sun.  The other days 2 hours after supper.  But I have been checking more often to try and figure this out.

I must have done something right though because my A1c did drop from 6.7 to 6.2 in the first three months.
Cindy
Super Advisor
powerwalker2

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Super Advisor
powerwalker2

Hi, again, Cindy ~ I'm just wondering if you developed your leg injury after you met with the dietician -- because if you've had to cut back on your activity level since then, you would most probably need to also cut back on the carbs temporarily, until you get back to your normal walking routine.  It's all about finding the right balance.  For me, it has always been walking or some other exercise at around the one-hour postmeal point that gets my two-hour readings back to normal.  Are you spacing your walking out over the day and evening?  Also, is there some other type of exercise you can do that doesn't involve using the injured leg (and I hope it's nothing serious!)?  Any and all exercise works.  Resistance moves are good -- ab crunches, tricep dips, mini push-ups or wall pushaways (I do these on the stairs and hood of the car, as well as the floor), and dumbbells (I started with 2 and 3 pounds, then went to 4 and 5, and now using a pair of 6s, as well.)  Count the minutes, and find total amount needed to see good numbers, not just today, but tomorrow as well, because it will keep boosting metabolism and lowering blood glucose for up to 24 hours.  Conversely, yesterday's unmetabolized food glucose can still show up as a rise in blood sugar levels the next day, and more may even be added due to the liver releasing more glucose, if there has not been enough activity the previous day to take care of keeping it down.
Long Lost Member
cindymo

Powerwalker2, thanks for the help.  I actually hurt my left before i started seeing the dietician.  I think that maybe the info she gave me was not what it should have been.  Everyone I have talked to says she had me on way too many carbs.  Also, there was no mention of exercising after every meal - she said get at least 30 minutes per day.  I need to loose 30 lbs. or more if I can.   Two years ago I was at 145, somehow I have managed to get to 175 in the last two years.  I don't think that will happen eating 45-60 grams of carbs per meal.  She did explain how about "good and bad" carbs and getting the right mixture.  It's pretty hard for me to get any amount of exercise during the day.  I work 2 part time jobs totaling about 40 hours per week.  So I have to concentrate  on my exercise after 4 in the afternoon.  I am not one to get up and exercise at 6 a.m.  I will keep working on it.  I think I have learned more from this site though.  Thanks again.  This all helps.
Cindy
lmine123
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎05-06-2013

Re: How long does it take for food to affect blood sugars?

Go to YouTube look up Simply Raw: Reversing diabetes in 30 days.  I did this for one week and my blood sugar dropped from 179 down to 106 in 3 days.  This was an experiment on myself.  I do weight lifting and cadio, but I have not been consistant.  It's not the easiest diet because you have to give up dairy, alcohol, and nicotine.   Choose life!  :-)