Occasional Responder
mygrandma1063
Total Posts: 8
Registered on: ‎02-22-2012

How long does it take for Metformin to get your sugar in a normal range

I was diagnosed three weeks ago and have been taking metformin for my sugar.  How long does it take for Metformin to get you within a stable normal range.  I am walking about 15 minutes a day and doing some mild exercise before bed.  Do products with Asparteme cause a problem with your blood sugar?  Thanks for the help

ADAMateo
Total Posts: 794
Topics: 183
High Fives: 163
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: How long does it take for Metformin to get your sugar in a normal range

This message was moved either due to inappropriate content, solicitation, or the fact that it was meant for another forum. Thank you, The Moderation Team

Advisor
ronaka
Total Posts: 950
Registered on: ‎12-24-2011

mygrandma1063 wrote:

I was diagnosed three weeks ago and have been taking metformin for my sugar.  How long does it take for Metformin to get you within a stable normal range.  I am walking about 15 minutes a day and doing some mild exercise before bed.  Do products with Asparteme cause a problem with your blood sugar?  Thanks for the help

How much metformin have you been taking? What were you BG readings when you were diagnosed, and have they changed at all?

Depending on the dose, metformin can take several weeks to be fully effective. Most often it is started at a low dose so it does not upset your stomach, and then increased after you are tolerating it. Has your doctor discussed that part of it?

No, there is no affect of Aspartame on your BG. I prefer Splenda if I can get it, but Aspartame is fine too. Here is a good link to information on artificial sweeteners:

Sweet Nothings

Ron

Not a doctor, only another T2 diabetic with, unfortunately 11 year experience. Be cautious about accepting advice, including mine, on medical conditions from the internet. It can be a good place to get ideas, but validate them with your doctor and other medical professionals first.
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,928
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,057
Solutions: 116
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

mygrandma1063 wrote:

First, about aspartame, there is no reason to worry that it will affect your blood sugar. 

When metformin works well, it seems to take a few weeks to over a month for it to prove the maximum effect, and the exact amount of time varies from person to person. 

In one research study, discussed at http://www.drugs.com/pro/metformin.html, metformin lowered fasting blood glucose by about 15 to 34 points during a 16-week study, depending on the daily dose. That doesn't answer your question about how quickly it works, but the point I want to make is that metformin can make a real difference, but it can't do the whole job of lowering blood glucose to a normal level all by itself.  It needs to be added to lifestyle changes, like what your eat and how active you are.

For most people who are prescribed metformin when they are first diagnosed, that means that they are working on diet, exercise and meds all at once, so they can lower blood glucose a lot more than that 15 to 34 points in that time period, but it's a little difficult to pick out the effect of each of those things.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,826
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

[ Edited ]

caesarella wrote:

Metformin is an insulin sensitizer.  It does not stimulate the pancreas to make insulin.  It just makes your cells more sensitive to the insulin your body is already producing.  I see that you added exercise which is very good, but what kind of diet are you following. Feel free to contact me at my email address for additional information.  I don't want to post links or personal information because I'm not sure if this is allowed.

You can post as much or as little personal information as you want. You can also post links to information, we do it all the time. I would suggest that you remove your email address from your signature. There is a possibility that you could start receiving some spam (not from the American Diabetes Association) in your personal email account. There are people who patrol websites like this one looking for that type of information. If the person wants to contact you, they can send you a Private Message through this site.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

On 9/5/14 had amputation of my right leg, below the knee.

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,568
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

what you eat will have a bigger and faster impact than the metformin.  and everyone is different.  so for some, the metformin will be enough to get to normal range, for others, exericse is enough, and others need different medicines... so many variables-- enough to drive all of us crazy.

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,075
Topics: 210
High Fives: 1,620
Solutions: 181

mygrandma1063 wrote:

Metformin is only an aid to an appropriate menu and exercise. How long it takes to provide that assistance varies individually from days to weeks. At this stage your menu and lifestyle changes are likely to be much more effective.

What changes have you made? Have you been trying this: Test, Review, Adjust?

Aspartame should not be a problem. Please read this: Aspartame

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Occasional Contributor
geauxlsu3
Total Posts: 4
Registered on: ‎02-29-2012

My doc upped my metformin dose to 500mg BID on Tuesday. My fasting glucose is still high @ 267. I am trying to be patient and maintain my diet.

Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,095
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

You didn't get those high BG's overnight, so it will take some time to get them down. The single biggest help I found was diet, basically eating to my meter. That testing link of Alan's is the key to that IME. Excercise is number two on my list, and often has an impact that lasts into the following day.

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,075
Topics: 210
High Fives: 1,620
Solutions: 181

geauxlsu3 wrote:

My doc upped my metformin dose to 500mg BID on Tuesday. My fasting glucose is still high @ 267. I am trying to be patient and maintain my diet.

What diet is your diet?

Test it with your meter: Test, Review, Adjust

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)