Occasional Visitor
RachelChile
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎10-26-2011

How fast can you bring your blood sugar down

Hi.  I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in August of this year and in the first two weeks of treatment and diet (no medication), I brought my blood sugar down from 270 to 180.  The doctor started me on metformin after that, and today I tested my glucose again, and it had only fallen to 156.  I'm counting calories and carbs, have lost weight, and am exercising pretty regularly.  Is that a good glucose reduction rate?  Rachel

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,422
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,373
Solutions: 155
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: How fast can you bring your blood sugar down

RachelChile wrote:

Hi.  I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in August of this year and in the first two weeks of treatment and diet (no medication), I brought my blood sugar down from 270 to 180.  The doctor started me on metformin after that, and today I tested my glucose again, and it had only fallen to 156.  I'm counting calories and carbs, have lost weight, and am exercising pretty regularly.  Is that a good glucose reduction rate?  Rachel

G'day Rachel

Welcome to the forum.

There are no absolute rules about the speed of improvement; it's a very individual thing. Congratulations on the weight loss. Your blood glucose reduction  progress so far is a bit slow, to be honest, if those numbers are all fasting levels. I would suspect that despite counting carbs, you are still counting too many.

I don't mean that as criticism, just as an observation. Maybe we can help with some suggestions to improve things if you give us more specific details of your diet and exercise regimen.

While you wait for the others, this may help with some alternative ideas: Getting Started

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Rhodes, Greece)
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,855
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,933
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

RachelChile wrote:

Hi Rachel, welcome to the boards! :smileyhappy:

To bring your fasting numbers from 270 to 156 is about 2 months with only diet and exercise changes is very good progress.  Losing weight is helpful but it's not the only answer to having good numbers.  A lot also depends on your body and the progress of the disease.  It appears as though you were diagnosed with pretty high numbers, so odds are that you've had this disease for a while.  It might take a little more time, but don't feel upset about it because you've made very good progress.

Now that you've started the metformin the numbers will probably decrease even more, but metformin takes a while to become fully effective in your system.  Here's more info. on it:  click here 

Please read the links below also:  Testing 101 and All About Carbs for more information that you might find helpful.  Testing more often will be a good way for you to gain even better control faster.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,432
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

I would tend to agree that you are making good progress, but also think that the more you learn about diabetes, the more quickly  you'll  be able to make even  more progress.  Knwoledge makes a huge difference ans os is worth whatever investment of time and energy it takes to learn and then to apply it

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Super Advisor
Pam01
Total Posts: 2,148
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

To the original poster... ARE you talking about fasting blood sugar levels, or are you getting these numbers at random times?
Pam

Diagnosed Type 1 at age 16 months, over 45 years now
Minimed pump and cgm since July '09. Metformin (insulin resistance), levothyroxine(thyroid), losartan (BP)

I have traveled cross country, and to Canada, UK, Kenya, Mexico, Jamaica, Equador/Galapagos islands, and lived in Egypt for a year.