Occasional Visitor
Suzee8
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎03-25-2012

Glucose intolerant

Hello.  Just found your website this morning.  Two Thursdays ago, I was diagnosed as glucose intolerant.  I am in the process of getting copies of my paperwork, as it was whizzed by me at the time...and I was in shock.  No, I don't remember the numbers.  I just remember feeling sick, horrified, scared, frustrated, angry and bitter.  Apparently the doc thinks that 70% of this is heredity.  Now...how can THAT be pinpointed.  I am adopted and have no options to get birth info from California.  Petitions have been rejected.  My mother is still alive and does not wish to discuss it at all.  I am 56, overweight, (which I am endeavouring to knock down ASAP), and totally confused.  I have no idea how much of what to eat.  I am going by a book called "Eat to Live" by Joel Fuhrman, M.D.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I'm at the end of my rope and tend to tears every so often.  I know that sounds a little self-absorbed and pathetic, but I just do NOT know what to do.  I was told exercise and get the weight off.  Help please?

Super Advisor
carlking2
Total Posts: 2,575
Registered on: ‎04-08-2011

Re: Glucose intolerant

Good morning and Welcome to the board.  You have found a great resource to get started.  Depending upon the amount of your glucose intolerance you may have what is termed pre-diabetes or full blow diabetes.  At any rate the first line treatment is still the same.

The disease you have requires that you control the amount of carbohydrates you consume.  That includes all sugars AND starches.  Please check out this link for more information.... It was written by Lizzy one of our veteran members:

http://lizzysdlounge.com/2012/03/15/are-you-newly-diagnosed/

Please take the time and read over all of her blog...There is a special section for the newly diagnosed.

Please tell us a little more about yourself.... And your doctor is correct.  You would never have gotten this disease without the genes for it, but your lifestyle factors (weight, exercise, eating habits) also play into to it.  How you got it really is not important now...what you do from here on out is, so please stick around and learn.

I am going to tell you right out that I am not a big fan of the book you are reading....

Thanks Rick

Diagnosed T2 4/4/2011
04/04/2011, A1c 11.2
06/27/2011, A1c 5.6
10/07/2011, A1c 5.7
1/14/2012, A1c 5.4
4/17/2012, A1c 5.4
7/27/2012, A1c 5.3
01/30/2013, A1c 5.2
08/26/2013, A1c 5.3

Lipids TC 201, LDL 108, VLDL 16, Triglycerides 81, HDL 77
Managed by diet and exercise along....former insulin and Metformin user
Frequent Responder
SugarFrosted
Total Posts: 782
Registered on: ‎11-07-2011

Hello and Welcome to the forums, Suzee8!  I understand how you feel. I suspect most of us here were shocked and overwhelmed when we first heard the words. However, this situation is in YOUR control. You have the power to change your life! Become your own best advocate. For me, I started on Day 1 changing what I ate, and I got off my behind after years of being a complete couch potato. Was it easy? No. Was it worth the work? Absolutely!

Read everything and ask loads of questions. Try lots of suggestions.  Keep what works for YOU and discard the rest. This is a marathon, not a sprint.  Figure out what sort of mealplan you can live with forever, because fad diets and sporadic "paying attention" won't work well for you in the long run. After time, and education, you will find this gets a LOT easier ...emotionally and physically.   I like to think it is one day at a time, and often one meal at a time.

And one walk around the block, or whatever exercise works for you. There are so many ways to exercise. I have arthritis in my knees, so I ride a recumbent stationary bike while I watch TV. If there was a pool nearby, I'd probably be there a few times a week.  Discover what you like!

Looking forward to learning more about you! 

You're among friends here! :smileyhappy:
SugarFrosted aka AnnaM, retired ER/Oncology-Chemotherapy nurse
Little Rock, Arkansas
Diagnosed Type 2, Jun'09 at age 57
Jun'09 A1c: 7.2 F 154 wt 260 lbs
Dec'09 A1c: 5.5 F 80
Jun'10 A1c: 5.4 F 82
Dec'10 A1c: 5.2 F 71 wt 155 lbs
Jun'11 A1c: 5.3 F 76
Mar'12 A1c: 5.5 F 80
Dec'12 A1c: 5.1 F 70
Jan'14 A1c: 5.3 F 77
Reduced-Carb Mealplan & 1 hr Daily Exercise! NO Meds!
105 lb total weightloss
Self-employed baker/cake designer since 1988...life doesn't get much harder for a diabetic, imo. My Online Cake Gallery: http://www.sugarfrosted.com/
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,699
Topics: 553
High Fives: 1,853
Solutions: 137
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Suzee8 wrote:

Hello.  Just found your website this morning.  Two Thursdays ago, I was diagnosed as glucose intolerant.  I am in the process of getting copies of my paperwork, as it was whizzed by me at the time...and I was in shock.  No, I don't remember the numbers.  I just remember feeling sick, horrified, scared, frustrated, angry and bitter.  Apparently the doc thinks that 70% of this is heredity.  Now...how can THAT be pinpointed.  I am adopted and have no options to get birth info from California.  Petitions have been rejected.  My mother is still alive and does not wish to discuss it at all.  I am 56, overweight, (which I am endeavouring to knock down ASAP), and totally confused.  I have no idea how much of what to eat.  I am going by a book called "Eat to Live" by Joel Fuhrman, M.D.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I'm at the end of my rope and tend to tears every so often.  I know that sounds a little self-absorbed and pathetic, but I just do NOT know what to do.  I was told exercise and get the weight off.  Help please?

Hi Suz, welcome aboard!

The reason that your doctor made the statement about heredity is because type-2 has a very strong genetic link.  That is true for mostly all people with T2.  In other words nothing you did or did not do caused you to develop it, it was in your genes.  Unfortunately you got as much help as most, which is very little.  But not to worry, you're in the right place for help.:smileywink:

I see that Rick gave you a link to my blog, please read all of the links in the Newly Diagnosed section, including this one: click on the title

What Do I Eat

Feel free to ask any questions too.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Advisor
ronaka
Total Posts: 950
Registered on: ‎12-24-2011

Suzee8 wrote:

The definitions have changed over the years, but the term impaired suggests it is not full diabetes. For example impaired fasting glucose means your blood glucose in the morning fasting is high but not high enough to be full diabetes. Impaired glucose tolerance is based on test where you drink a sugar drink and BG is tested at 2 hours. If it is high but not high enough to be full diabetes it is called impaired glucose tolerance. Either condition is more commonly called prediabetes. See this link for more detail.

Prediabetes

The good news is that with weight loss, a good heart healthy diet, and exercise, about 60% of people can reverse the condition, or at least delay full diabetes. The drug metformin reduces the risk by about 30%.

The best book I have found to help understand how foods cause BG to rise and how to minimize the effect is called The New Glucose Revolution. No it is not a magic weight loss solution, but just an explanation of which foods cause your BG to behave worse than others. Here is a quick guide to basically what is in the book. You may find it helpful in determining which foods you should eat more and those which you should eat less of.

Glycemic Index Guide

As far as type 2 being genetically caused that is one theory. Statistics tell us however that being overweight and under exercised greatly increases the risk of getting type 2. It causes insulin resistance, and that is the basic characteristic of type 2. You make lots of insulin, but just cannot use it well. Knowing your genetic background is not going to help in the treatment of the disease.

Hope that helps some, 

Ron

Not a doctor, only another T2 diabetic with, unfortunately 11 year experience. Be cautious about accepting advice, including mine, on medical conditions from the internet. It can be a good place to get ideas, but validate them with your doctor and other medical professionals first.
Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,068
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

Hi Suzee, you have all ready gotten some good information. I have had type 2 for over 30 years. I was scared and frustrated about what to do, just like you are now. Thirty years ago it tough to get any information, that's because there was little out there. Like you I'm adopted, so that scared me even more because I started to think what else maybe buried in my genes. I still think about it sometimes, but I control that fear, it does not control me. So I know you can get a handle on this also. Just remember, you are not alone in this.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

"All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them". - Walt Disney

Latest A1C 6.0 on 12/11/13

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Occasional Visitor
Suzee8
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎03-25-2012

You had asked for more info...  The doc diagnosed me with test results that were taken in January.  I just switched doctors, as the previous one would give me hugs and then send me back out the door.  I was fed up and wanted to know what was going on with my body.  This new doc is my hub's doc and he is usually a straight shooter.  He said something about 30 grams of carbohydrate.  Like I mentioned before...I didn't absorb a lot, as I was in shock.  I do not take any vitamins, as he told me to get off the vitamins.  I am just taking the Vitamin D3 twice a day for 2 months and then once a day after that.  At the time I had the testing done, in January, I had been taking multiple vitamin/minerals, glucosamine chondroitin/msm, and fish oil.  He's givng me 3 months to lose weight and get a handle on my "diet" before putting me on medications.  I'd wanted to be retested, but they thought it wasn't necessary.  SO, tell me...how can I rely on test results that are 2 months old, when I'm not taking the pills or eating the same nowadays?  I'm pretty confused here.

And...thank you for such a wonderful welcome!  Hello to carlking2...I'm curious about why you don't like the Eat to Live book?  Hello to sugarfrosted (thank you for tips), lizzy lou (i'm looking at your blog), ronaka & jpg391.  I appreciate ALL of the suggestions and the ideas.  I'm pretty much open to anything at the moment, as I have no idea which way to go.  Thank you!

Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 3,983
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Did the doc give you a blood glucose meter? If not, it is well worth getting one. On Lizzy's blog is some good info on testing, and how to use the info to help make positive changes that help with your BG management.

Super Advisor
carlking2
Total Posts: 2,575
Registered on: ‎04-08-2011

Suzee8 wrote:

And...thank you for such a wonderful welcome!  Hello to carlking2...I'm curious about why you don't like the Eat to Live book?  Hello to sugarfrosted (thank you for tips), lizzy lou (i'm looking at your blog), ronaka & jpg391.  I appreciate ALL of the suggestions and the ideas.  I'm pretty much open to anything at the moment, as I have no idea which way to go.  Thank you!

Once again Welcome to the forum... Despite any suggestions to the contrary your genetics played a very big role in your getting this disease.  If you did not have the genes you would never have developed the disease....it is that simple.

Please read over Lizzy's blog and you will learn much from her posts.  This disease is all about controlling your carbohydrate intake and using your meter.  It will take time, but you can and will get the hang of it, and it will become a lot easier for you.

I should qualify my remark about Dr Fuhrman to say..The book may be fine (I have not read it), but I don't like his style of operating.  He requires a membership to learn the "secrets" on how to reverse diabetes.  Many here object to the term reverse, and we rather prefer the term control.

You can learn EVERYTHING you need to know here...for free.  And you learn from people who have the disease and manage it every day.  BTW...weight loss is possible...I have lost 102 pounds since last April, so I KNOW you can do it also.  It just takes a little work.

Give us a idea of what you are eating and what kind of numbers you are seeing.

Thanks Rick

Diagnosed T2 4/4/2011
04/04/2011, A1c 11.2
06/27/2011, A1c 5.6
10/07/2011, A1c 5.7
1/14/2012, A1c 5.4
4/17/2012, A1c 5.4
7/27/2012, A1c 5.3
01/30/2013, A1c 5.2
08/26/2013, A1c 5.3

Lipids TC 201, LDL 108, VLDL 16, Triglycerides 81, HDL 77
Managed by diet and exercise along....former insulin and Metformin user