Visitor
knitter51
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎09-27-2011

Glucose Levels Throughout the Day

I was just recently diagnosed as Type 2 (numbers in the lower range).  I guess I'm still in denial as I don't "feel" diabetic (ie - no dizziness, dry mouth, etc. that I think are often associated with diabetics).  I have an appt with a dietician next week but in the meantime, I have a question:  Why is it important that your blood sugar level remains relatively even throughout the day so long as the "average" reading is ok.  In otherwords, why can't I enjoy a donut or danish with coffee in the a.m and then a nice salad for lunch and a reasonable dinner so long as the average readings for the day is still good.  Or . . . . .  I'll follow good eating all day and maybe have a nice dessert in the evening - is that a big deal so long as the daily average is still ok?

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,396
Topics: 216
High Fives: 1,712
Solutions: 187
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Glucose Levels Throughout the Day

[ Edited ]

G'day and welcome to the forum.

Good question.

Knitter51 wrote:

I was just recently diagnosed as Type 2 (numbers in the lower range).  I guess I'm still in denial as I don't "feel" diabetic (ie - no dizziness, dry mouth, etc. that I think are often associated with diabetics).  I have an appt with a dietician next week but in the meantime, I have a question:  Why is it important that your blood sugar level remains relatively even throughout the day so long as the "average" reading is ok.  In otherwords, why can't I enjoy a donut or danish with coffee in the a.m and then a nice salad for lunch and a reasonable dinner so long as the average readings for the day is still good.  Or . . . . .  I'll follow good eating all day and maybe have a nice dessert in the evening - is that a big deal so long as the daily average is still ok?

The truthful answer is that the scientists are not entirely certain. Many years ago I read this page written by a friend of mine: Research Connecting Organ Damage with Blood Sugar Level. Based on my reading since I agree with Jenny, but others have dissected the various papers there and disagree.

Yesterday I posted this on the forum: Postprandial, but not fasting, glucose predicts CV risk in type 2 diabetes

But, to be honest, I'll repeat that  the scientists are not entirely certain. I wrote a bit more about the different advice from different diabetes authorities a while ago here: Blood Glucose Targets.

My attitude is pretty basic. I don't want to discover in 20 years that the scientists are finally certain that I should have been more careful now. I haven't changed my mind since I closed that article with this comment:

The AACE give the tightest targets. I doubt that anyone would consider the AACE, which is an organisation of 5200 endocrinologists, as a bunch of fanatical radicals. Nor would they be promulgating guidelines impossible to be attained by the majority.

Unfortunately, nobody but us talks about 1hr PP targets. My personal logic is that I treat their 2hr as my recommended max peak for any post-prandial, as I discussed in When To Test After Meals. Those AACE guidelines then agree very closely with the Test, Test, Test advice by Jennifer.

Make your own judgment on which of those guidelines you think will lead to fewer complications.

You will find my personal post-meal goals in that Test, Test, Test advice.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,530
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

In people without diabetes, blood glucose levels return to normal automatically after each meal or snack.  I want to try to keep my levels as close to normal levels as possible at all times.  I use post-meal exercise most of the time to achieve this. I have also found that the higher the levels, 1) the more exercise is required, and 2) the harder it is to keep them down on an ongoing basis throughout the day, and even on into the next day.  But, feel free to experiment, and see for yourself.

http://www.joslin.org/info/goals_for_blood_glucose_control.html

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,994
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Knitter51 wrote:

Hi Knitter, I'm a crocheter.  Welcome.

If you really don't have numbers in the higher ranges you might be able to eat more carbs than a lot of people, that's because your body might not have suffered as much damage as people who have had higher numbers for longer.  And that's exactly why you don't want to "spike" your numbers way high with a danish and why you can't make up for it later with a salad. 

It's all about keeping numbers at a reasonable range without the roller-coaster ride of highs and lows.  This is very hard on your body, and can cause complications over time.  Now don't get me wrong, a high number now and then isn't going to cause you major irreversible damage, but a regular occurrence of this can cause damage. 

The key is to spread the carbs evenly throughout the day, not eating them all at one meal.  Does that make sense?

There are many good low-carb desserts that we make here, in time you'll find lots of recipes and foods that satisfy you but keep your numbers even.

I'd also like to show you a chart which lists goals for ALL major agencies, as well as numbers that are ranges for non-diabetics:

RECOMMENDED BLOOD GLUCOSE GOALS

ADA:........A1C..<7.0.........Fasting....90-130....PP*...<180

JOSLIN:....A1C..<7.0.......Fasting....90-130....PP*...<160

AACE:......A1C..<6.5........Fasting......110........PP*...<140

NON-D:....A1C..4.0-6.0....Fasting....70-100....PP**.70-140...**Non-diabetic

*ADA: "Post-prandial glucose measurements should be made 1–2 hours after thebeginning of the meal, generally peak levels in patients with diabetes."

ADA = American Diabetes Assn. Joslin = Joslin Diabetes Center AACE= American Association Of Clinical Endocrinologists
Non-diabetic= ranges compiled from goals of all agencies.

Now how you achieve your goals is described in the links below:  Testing 101 and All About Carbs.  In the beginning we all felt as though we would be deprived and never enjoy good food again, but that's just not so.  Heck I even learned to like brussel sprouts, I never thought that would happen!:smileyvery-happy:

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Visitor
knitter51
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎09-27-2011

Thanks for the input everyone!   I'm used to previously counting my fats, fiber, and calories from Weight Watchers, but this whole carbohydate counting is new to me.   What I found interesting is that it sounds like glucose levels will also wax and wane not just from amt of carbs consumed but the timing of meals, exercise, stress, etc. . . . . .  sounds like it'll be a challenging journey :smileyhappy:

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,994
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

What I found interesting is that it sounds like glucose levels will also wax and wane not just from amt of carbs consumed but the timing of meals, exercise, stress, etc. . . . . . 

By George, I think she's got it!!!!:smileyvery-happy:  Other things would include illness and even many types of medication.  Another interesting note is that some people actually have LOWER numbers under stress.  It's the old YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) statement that you'll see a lot here.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,530
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

knitter51 wrote:

Thanks for the input everyone!   I'm used to previously counting my fats, fiber, and calories from Weight Watchers, but this whole carbohydate counting is new to me.   What I found interesting is that it sounds like glucose levels will also wax and wane not just from amt of carbs consumed but the timing of meals, exercise, stress, etc. . . . . .  sounds like it'll be a challenging journey :smileyhappy:

Exactly.  And, the "waxing and waning" of the glucose levels due to all kinds of variables is a good reason to try to be consistent with the food and exercise whenever possible, to allow for more "predictability".

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5