Long Lost Member
mahalakshmi
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎07-06-2011

Galvusmet tablet not working

Hi,

I have been diagonised with Daibetes from Oct 2010 and from then Doctor has recommende me Galvusmet tablets i am taking this tablets since 10 months and i have no change in my  blood sugar level .Can anyone suggest if you have tried this tablet and have you been able to bring down your sugar level .Thanks in advance for your reply  .
Long Lost Member
dknxvll
Total Posts: 45
Registered on: ‎06-28-2011

Does your Dr. not know it's not changing your lvls? If he or she just said 'here, take these, hope everything works out', I'd go see another Dr. Post your numbers and a little about your lifestyle so the people on here can give you more detailed advice. A lot of people on here that know their stuff and can 'guide' you better than me.
Good luck

Dave
Diagnosed Type-2 June 16th 2011 BS 390's   AC-1  14.2%
Taking 2000mg Metformin a day with 45 minutes of walking a day and a 1800 calorie 40 grams of carbs a day diet.
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,323
Topics: 73
High Fives: 799
Solutions: 98
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Galvus is a DPP-4 inhibitor.  Other meds in that class are Onglyza and Januvia.  It has not been approved for use in the US, although it is approved for use in Europe.

Galvusmet is a combination of Galvus and metformin, so it would be similar to Janumet in the US. 

Treatment for diabetes starts out with changes in what you eat, weight loss if needed, and exercise.  Medications are also a part of the basic treatment plan, but eating right and staying active can do as much or more that the meds.  You will find lots of information here on those topics, but if you would like to share more information about your eating and exercise plans, we may be able to make suggestions to help in those areas.

As far as medications go, it sometimes takes a combination of two or three of them to manage diabetes, even with careful attention to diet and exercise.  Each person is different, and it usually becomes more difficult to manage blood glucose over time.  At some point, your doctor may decide that adding insulin to your treatment plan is the next step.

Of course we each have a responsibility to do our best with the other means of managing diabetes, but if our bodies do not respond well, there is no reason to blame ourselves.  We have to move on to the next step. 

Without knowing more about your individual situation, it is difficult to be more exact in our suggestions.

"Molly"
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Novolog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

trisha01
Total Posts: 5,988
Topics: 295
High Fives: 567
Blog Posts: 59
Solutions: 69

Since you listed as a Type 1, why aren't you on insulin? As a Type 1, Type 1's must be on insulin to live. OR, are you a Type 2 and accidently hit the wrong selection button?

Trisha - Type 1

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and Pump Supplies Help ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,259
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

If you have been taking any diabetes med for more than a couple of months with no effect on your blood glucose, you should be back at your doctor's office discussing it.

Now it may be that dieary changes or more exercise could make a big difference, but you need to find something that works,  which might be more or a different medicine as well.

Since you didn't tell us how high your numbers are, it is hard to be too specific --however, your doctor should know.

And if your doctor did not tell you to come back if the medicine doesn't improve things, and/or did not recommend diet and exercise chantes, then yes, another doctor might be indicated.
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Long Lost Member
mahalakshmi

Thanks Dave,For your reply .

FYI,My Sugar levels  is (Fasting iaround 150 and Random is 240 ) My lifestyle is i walk for 30 min daily and am also a working women who have to sit in front of laptop for around 6 hrs daily  my diet is basically under control .But due to work i am stressed some time not sure if this is also a reason for my glucose level not coming down. 
Long Lost Member
mahalakshmi

Thanks morris for your reply ,my Doctor did ask me to get back to him regulary on a monthly basis but my only concerns was that he kept increasing the dosage evertime i visited him .
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,636
Topics: 552
High Fives: 1,842
Solutions: 137

You say your diet is pretty much under control, what does that mean?  Are you testing before and after meals?  That's really the only way to know if your diet is under control.  Random testing without a purpose is more or less a waste of a test strip. Please read the two links below:  Testing 101 and All About Carbs for more information on this.  These changes can do just as much as medication in many instances.

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

alan_s
Total Posts: 13,660
Topics: 189
High Fives: 1,219
Solutions: 140
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

G'day and welcome

What part of the world are you in?

I believe you are mistaken in thinking you are a type 1. Your description of your treatment and medications applies to type 2 diabetes. Your diet may be under control fr weight but I do not agree that it is undercontrol for blood glucose.

Please read this; I think it may help you (click on it): Test, Review, Adjust
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Simple Low Carb Soups II - Asparagus)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Lisbon: Food and Fado)
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,259
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...