Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,634
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Re: From an AC1 of 8.5 to 5.3 in 3 months

jan-lee wrote:

Dr said, "Good job, keep it up, find out what you can/cannot eat with more testing".  I know pizza is gone and sweet potato fries.  I'm gonna miss my friends!!

Your doctor seems to know more about diabetes than many other doctors... basically he said the same thing as I did!  (Either that or we both don't know too much!)

You may find that pizza or sweet potato fries in moderation are not totally off limits.That is part ofwhat the testing is for... 

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Responder
robr6465
Total Posts: 22
Registered on: ‎04-22-2012

Just joined the forum today and your story just motivated me to get my act together. My A1C as of last month is 7.9 and i want to get it under 6.0 and lose about 30lbs. My issue is i don't know what foods are the right foods. I don't eat veggies but not a sweets person. I make excuses to exercise but lately i feel so tired/bloated. My oldest son is getting married on 8/19 and i want to look good for wedding in a sharp suit.

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder

robr6465 wrote:

Just joined the forum today and your story just motivated me to get my act together. My A1C as of last month is 7.9 and i want to get it under 6.0 and lose about 30lbs. My issue is i don't know what foods are the right foods. I don't eat veggies but not a sweets person. I make excuses to exercise but lately i feel so tired/bloated. My oldest son is getting married on 8/19 and i want to look good for wedding in a sharp suit.

Well if we define the "right foods" negatively, they are the ones that don't impact your blood sugar excessively. Yes vegetables are key here, but also protein, such as meat, eggs, cheese, and basically any food that is not primarily carbohydrates. So your sweets and starches, are most problematic, but consider that even yogurt, milk, beans and fruits all have carbs as well. You can never eliminate carbs entirely, but limiting them moves your blood sugar in the right direction.  Eating carbs in combination always with protein, fat or fiber helps as well.

Side bonus--many of the people here have found an unexpected welcome side effect to limiting carb consumption--weight loss.It doesn't work that way for every one, but seems to for a significant minority...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 

Long Lost Member
ocalagal
Total Posts: 6
Registered on: ‎04-25-2012

Hello..all...I am replying because I do not see a place where I can start a new message...

Diagnosed on 3/8/12 with T2

A1c :  6.7,

fasting BS:  135

Doc put me on 550 M Metformin which I take after my evening meal.  Numbers are running 107-114 in the am - 112, 114, 125, etc. during the day.

However, tonight after 6 weeks, I just plain got tired of it all and ate spaghetti - whole wheat with my own sauce I made during the winter - boy, was it good!  Now i am worried - will one meal being so "naughty" ruin all my hard work?   

Judy

Frequent Responder
SugarFrosted
Total Posts: 819
Registered on: ‎11-07-2011

Judy, I replied to your other post.

You're among friends here! :smileyhappy:
SugarFrosted aka AnnaM, retired ER/Oncology-Chemotherapy nurse
Little Rock, Arkansas
Diagnosed Type 2, Jun'09 at age 57
Jun'09 A1c: 7.2 F 154 wt 265 lbs
Dec'09 A1c: 5.5 F 80
Jun'10 A1c: 5.4 F 82
Dec'10 A1c: 5.2 F 71 wt 160 lbs
Jun'11 A1c: 5.3 F 76
Mar'12 A1c: 5.5 F 80
Dec'12 A1c: 5.1 F 70
Jan'14 A1c: 5.3 F 77
Aug'14 A1c: 5.4 F 78
Reduced-Carb Mealplan & 1 hr Daily Exercise! NO Meds!
105 lb total weightloss
Self-employed baker/cake designer since 1988...life doesn't get much harder for a diabetic, imo. My Online Cake Gallery: http://www.sugarfrosted.com/
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder

ocalagal wrote:

Hello..all...I am replying because I do not see a place where I can start a new message...

Diagnosed on 3/8/12 with T2

A1c :  6.7,

fasting BS:  135

Doc put me on 550 M Metformin which I take after my evening meal.  Numbers are running 107-114 in the am - 112, 114, 125, etc. during the day.

However, tonight after 6 weeks, I just plain got tired of it all and ate spaghetti - whole wheat with my own sauce I made during the winter - boy, was it good!  Now i am worried - will one meal being so "naughty" ruin all my hard work?   

Judy

No  one meall will not ruin all your hard work!  It might make your blood glucose numbers go higher than you want that day, or evening, but you should be back to your usual the next day.  And as long as you get back to your better habits, the damage will be only temporary...

How was your blood sugar after your meal?

Morris

Responder
pattibarnard
Total Posts: 13
Registered on: ‎04-14-2012

wow that is great...... what did you eat? I am not doing any refined carbs at all.... one month diagnosed  just had blood work done again waiting to see if anything changed in a month......

only thing that is new is i am urinating a lot  with like a pressure  dr does not think it is related but took urine sample

my starting numbers were bs 106

A1C 5.8

I think insulin # 10?

I would love to hear more about how you did it with food and what kind of exercise?

i weigh 110 so i really dont need to lose weight

Responder
pattibarnard
Total Posts: 13
Registered on: ‎04-14-2012

wow that is great...... what did you eat? I am not doing any refined carbs at all.... one month diagnosed  just had blood work done again waiting to see if anything changed in a month......

only thing that is new is i am urinating a lot  with like a pressure  dr does not think it is related but took urine sample

my starting numbers were bs 106

A1C 5.8

I think insulin # 10?

I would love to hear more about how you did it with food and what kind of exercise?

i weigh 110 so i really dont need to lose weight

Super Advisor
hawkins77337
Total Posts: 1,105
Registered on: ‎02-16-2012

I abused my body for many years with drugs and sugar. I lost over 100 lbs in a year, wasted away to nothing. I was dxed last sept with a 14.3 a1c and sugar of 423. I immediately changed to a sugarless diet, eating salads, lean meats, eggs, and other protiens. Last jan, I had a followup test, my a1c was down to 5.4. Im glad you got yours down too, I just wish now I had known years ago, im on janumet 50/1000 2x a day, and lantus at night. Since getting under control, ive gained 15 lbs back, have good muscle tone, and feel better than I have in years. I still have bad days, stress is a spiker for me, but im on an antideppressant thats being used in lower doses to control my neuropathy in my legs.
T2 one year
metformin 500 2x
Lantus 24 units
Vit d 5000 iu
Vit B complex
Amyltriptiline 75 mg
Alpha lipoic acid 600 mg a day
6-12 habeneros a day
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,272
Topics: 214
High Fives: 1,668
Solutions: 185
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

jan-lee wrote:

Just got the results of my new blood work from the lab and my AC1 is 5.3.  I have basically cut carbs to nothing and I am SO tired!!!  I only test with the meter in the morning and at night (per the doctor once I asked about testing) and my numbers are around 90-100.  I don't know if I have cut out too many carbs and that is why I am so tired or if the feeling is normal until I get use to this new way of eating.  I have an appointment on Monday with the Dr. to go over all the results and will hear what she says but thought I would see if others had/have the same problem.  

I work out about 3x a week but it is so hard to get out of bed and I am dragging myself around all day just to get through work, dinner, kids to bed, etc.

Thanks!

Jan

I'm a little late; excuse me if I repeat something others have already written.

Congratulations on your success. I believe you can now start adding carbs back. You hit the nail on the head with this:

I only test with the meter in the morning and at night (per the doctor once I asked about testing) and my numbers are around 90-100.  I don't know if I have cut out too many carbs

There is no reason why you cannot test more often - the doctor's recommendation is a minimum, not a maximum. Most people use this technique to see where they must cut carbs, but it is equally effective in finding your limits as you add carbs back into the menu: Test, Review, Adjust

Try it and see :smileyhappy:

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)