Long Lost Member
snafzig
Total Posts: 13
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

Foot Care

On the last visit to the doc I told her my feet itch ALL THE TIME...sometimes (most of the time) I scratch the tops of my feet until they bleed! The shower is clean...my husband does not have athlete's foot...I use hydrogen peroxide and an athelete's foot spray...but the itching is now affecting my sleep. Any suggestions?
Long Lost Member
footdocstl
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎06-28-2011

Foot Care

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,732
Topics: 75
High Fives: 967
Solutions: 111
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Foot Care

snafzig (11/21/2009)
On the last visit to the doc I told her my feet itch ALL THE TIME...sometimes (most of the time) I scratch the tops of my feet until they bleed! The shower is clean...my husband does not have athlete's foot...I use hydrogen peroxide and an athelete's foot spray...but the itching is now affecting my sleep. Any suggestions?

It could be early signs of neuropathy, although I think numbness at the tips of your toes would be more typical in that case.

On the other hand, it could be something as simple as dry skin. The easiest way to check that out is to try using lotion daily. The usual recommendation is NOT to apply it between your toes, since that could cause excess moisture there. Some people like to apply it at bedtime and then wear cotton socks overnight. You could try it for a few days and see if it helps.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,915
Topics: 563
High Fives: 1,979
Solutions: 142

Foot Care

snafzig (11/21/2009)

On the last visit to the doc I told her my feet itch ALL THE TIME...sometimes
(most of the time) I scratch the tops of my feet until they bleed! The shower
is clean...my husband does not have athlete's foot...I use hydrogen peroxide
and an athelete's foot spray...but the itching is now affecting my sleep. Any suggestions?

What type of an itch is it Snaf? Is it a "dry" itch, or does it have a burning
sensation with it?

Really dry skin sometimes comes along with diabetes, but a "burning" could
indicate, as Molly said, a type of neuropathy.

Dry the dry skin relief treatments with creams first. If that doesn't work go
back and tell the doctor that you need to find out what this is because it's
affecting your sleep.

If see doesn't take you seriously enough release a tube of fire ants in her
direction and run quick!

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,420
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Foot Care

Snafzig, what Molly said about dry skin. I was also thinking that, and your peroxide and spray may be contributing to that. Would back off on it if it's not working. Any lotions or soaps should be fragrance free for sensitive skin. Sarna anti-itch lotion has this sensitive skin version which may help. What kind of socks are you wearing? You should stick with white socks, and no wool, if you have a wool allergy like I do. Also be sure to keep feet dry, and let them breathe. You may need to change socks several times a day, and when you're just sitting around, take shoes off. Shoes should be of a breathable material, such as running shoes are made of. Thorlos socks wick the moisture away, and are very soft and soothing to wear. But doctor should be able to prescribe, or at least suggest, something.
Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
southbeachgirl
Total Posts: 525

Foot Care

It could be a sign of vascular changes in your feet. I used to have itchy calves, particularly my shins, when I wasn't normalized. I used Eucerin cream for my dry skin and it helped. Just as a matter of habit, I slather lotion on my feet and put socks on a few hours before sleeping. Some people can sleeps in socks, but I can't. It keeps my feet looking nice.
Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,451
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

Foot Care

Since your feet itch, and you are obviously concerned (justifiably), then get an appointment with a podiatrist. They can check out both the dryness of the skin and check the responses to see if there is any nerve damage.

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1