Occasional Contributor
dusty0318
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎09-13-2011

Fasting with diabetes

[ Edited ]

How do you safely fast if you're a diabetic?

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Re: Fasting with diabetes

[ Edited ]

Dusty, this is the answer I gave to one of our posters in April 2010. His fasting question was for Humbelica, a time period that required fasting within his North American tribe.

"We have had the discussion on the old message boards when some of our posters have tried to find the right thing to do when faced the requirements of religious or cultural observances.

The usual answer re fasting has been that if it causes any health risk at all it should not be done. In fact I recall that some have found that their leaders have suggested that they substitute another restriction in their lives instead of fasting.

It seems to me that if you had artificial legs or even crutches that you would not leave them behind.

In your case you need a fairly steady supply of food to keep your blood sugar even. Otherwise you might go too low and then way too high. Even in a 24 hour period your liver might become overtaxed by trying to keep glucose in your blood. If your liver runs out of glucogen you might well find yourself in a low from which you cannot recover.

That would be a worse case scenario but I am glad that you are considering how restrictive that you can be.

Two things I would suggest...

First ask your doctor about this.
Try a 12 hour period when you are at home and have your meter and fast acting sugar nearby. Ask your doc about this as well.

Would you mind sharing with us the significance of Humbleca?"

I will reinforce the advice that you talk with your doctor as well as your religious leader.

We have people of all faiths on this board and your question is one that is asked by Jews, Muslims etc.

And welcome to the message board, glad you found us.

Dianne

edited to apologize for the odd colors and bold highlight- I had no idea that quoting an old post would present like this with this new board- still on a learning curve here. D.

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,323
Topics: 73
High Fives: 799
Solutions: 98
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

[ Edited ]

First of all, let me say that not all Christians fast, and that Christianity is not the only religion that incorporates fasting.  Fasting may have a different meaning for different groups.

I don't believe I have heard of a group that does not excuse its members from fasting for health reasons.  Both diabetes and age might be factors that make a difference.

Depending on your health, and you own individual situation, fasting may or may not be an excessive burden.

Some may choose to participate in a fast by denying themselves only limited food (like no meat, or only liquids) or by abstaining from some other activity.  They may choose to participate for a shorter time period.

If you are able to fast, you may need to test much more frequently and alter insulin or medication.  You may need to limit physical activity.  If the purpose of the fast is to allow yourself more time to devote to religious activity, you need to consider whether fasting will help you do that or just detract from it by occupying too much of your time and energy.  You may need to have a backup plan in place.

All those things are ideas I have heard from others on these boards in the past, but I hope you get the idea from me that it is a very individual decision, and each person will need to come to their own conclusions about how to behave.

You can check with your own religious leader to find out more about what your faith teaches.

"Molly"
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Novolog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

alan_s
Total Posts: 13,696
Topics: 189
High Fives: 1,223
Solutions: 140
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

Molly put it very well.

ALL of the major religions in the Islamic/Judeo-Christian family allow exemption from fasting rules for medical reasons, although there will always be some small extreme sects within that family which do not. 

If in any doubt ask for guidance from your relevant religious advisor. If that guidance differs from your doctor's advice, my advice is to heed the doctor.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Simple Low Carb Soups II - Asparagus)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Lisbon: Food and Fado)
Frequent Responder
annie_m
Total Posts: 104
Registered on: ‎08-18-2011

[ Edited ]

Yes, I believe that what Alan said is correct. I know that Catholic religion is that way

Metformin 1500--Lipitor 20 mg--Nexium 40 mg--Venlafaxine 225 mg--Zyrtec 10mg--Synthroid 175mcg--Mirapexv 0.625--Baby aspirin

Calcium Citrate 630--Vitamin D3 2000--Cranberry extract 300--Fish Oil 2400
Glucosamine 3000--Condroitin 2400--Multi Vitamin
Frequent Responder
cathykitta
Total Posts: 62
Registered on: ‎08-31-2011

[ Edited ]

Well hello,

When I had to fast for a colonoscopy, I drank sugar free poweraid up till midnight, at least that gives you some electrolights and stuff. Drink lots of water, and lots, and lots. Is this for bloodwork or for fasting for a cause or prayer? I would have to ask around myself if it is for a long period of time, because I am fairly new to diabetes myself. Lizzy knows a lot about diabetes and could point you to the right direction if she doesnt know, I think anyway. Let me know if you dont find an answer and I will help you find it. Is there anything I could pray for you about? I find that being with people of similar beliefs and issues are helpful to have around, send me a personal message if you would like and that way not everyone will be involved with your prayer or personal life if you so desire, I will help you in any way I can. God Bless.

dusty0318 wrote:

How do you safely fast if you're a diabetic?

Metformin, 500 2x a day

Pray and obey...very hard to do sometimes...but well worth it!
God Bless, Cathy
ADAMateo
Total Posts: 794
Topics: 183
High Fives: 163
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Sorry to be a little heavy-handed in this thread. I changed the title (and reply titles) to "Fasting with diabetes" rather than "For Diabetic Christians???"

It weirds me out that 3+ posts over the past couple weeks have had a title very similar to the latter one. Maybe it's just coincidence, but maybe not. It's making some folks uncomfortable.

The post is about fasting with diabetes, so that's why I changed it. It's a very good discussion to have.

Cheers,

Matt Emery (ADAMateo)
Community Administrator
American Diabetes Association
www.diabetes.org

Feel free to email me (community@diabetes.org) if you have questions about the community or the variety of programs and online resources available from our Association. Please note, however, as a matter of precaution that I do not have diabetes.
Super Advisor
Pam01
Total Posts: 2,072
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Im so glad Matt clarified about the title change, because i was wondering why on earth most of the replies were about religious fasting!

A Type 1 diabetic should be able to fast if their basal insulin is set correctly. and the way to figure out if your basal is set correctly is....by fasting! ( and not taking bolus insulin)
Pam

Diagnosed Type 1 at age 16 months, over 45 years now
Minimed pump and cgm since July '09. Metformin (insulin resistance), levothyroxine(thyroid), losartan (BP)

I have traveled cross country, and to Canada, UK, Kenya, Mexico, Jamaica, Equador/Galapagos islands, and lived in Egypt for a year.
Occasional Contributor
dusty0318
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎09-13-2011

caught up with the diabetes educator today.. or rather my answering machine did... she said that they did not recommend going over 5 hours between meals and that they recommend against fasting for religous purposes.. she also suggested that something other than food can be used to fast... like computer time or tv time

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

dusty0318 wrote:

caught up with the diabetes educator today.. or rather my answering machine did... she said that they did not recommend going over 5 hours between meals and that they recommend against fasting for religous purposes.. she also suggested that something other than food can be used to fast... like computer time or tv time

Good info for the board to have Dusty.

Thanks for posting that.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.