Occasional Visitor
redjoyD
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎03-10-2013

Failed drug test

In the last 2 years I have failed  four drug test because the results came back watered down. I am not dishonest and I do not do drugs. I don,t drink sodas and limit myself to two to three cups of coffee a day. I drink mostly water all the time. I wondered if any body else has had this problem because I think it must be related to my diabetes for I had never failed a drug test for employment before I became diabetic. And if so what can I do about it?

Advisor
goldensun
Total Posts: 356
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Failed drug test

Do you drink a lot of water or have frequent urination?   I don't have any answers for you, but others might.

Prediabetic
A1C
03/14 5,4
09/13 4.7
03/13 4.8
08/12 5.0
Frequent Responder
SugarFrosted
Total Posts: 819
Registered on: ‎11-07-2011

Welcome to the forums, redjoy.  What medications are you on, whether for diabetes or not? I wonder if perhaps something you are taking mimics one of the banned drugs and gives a weak positive. Always be sure to tell the drug tester if you are on any medications.

You're among friends here! :smileyhappy:
SugarFrosted aka AnnaM, retired ER/Oncology-Chemotherapy nurse
Little Rock, Arkansas
Diagnosed Type 2, Jun'09 at age 57
Jun'09 A1c: 7.2 F 154 wt 265 lbs
Dec'09 A1c: 5.5 F 80
Jun'10 A1c: 5.4 F 82
Dec'10 A1c: 5.2 F 71 wt 160 lbs
Jun'11 A1c: 5.3 F 76
Mar'12 A1c: 5.5 F 80
Dec'12 A1c: 5.1 F 70
Jan'14 A1c: 5.3 F 77
Aug'14 A1c: 5.4 F 78
Reduced-Carb Mealplan & 1 hr Daily Exercise! NO Meds!
105 lb total weightloss
Self-employed baker/cake designer since 1988...life doesn't get much harder for a diabetic, imo. My Online Cake Gallery: http://www.sugarfrosted.com/
trisha01
Total Posts: 6,394
Topics: 314
High Fives: 692
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 74

[ Edited ]

redjoyD wrote:

In the last 2 years I have failed  four drug test because the results came back watered down. I am not dishonest and I do not do drugs. I don,t drink sodas and limit myself to two to three cups of coffee a day. I drink mostly water all the time. I wondered if any body else has had this problem because I think it must be related to my diabetes for I had never failed a drug test for employment before I became diabetic. And if so what can I do about it?

Redjoy,

I've been Type 1 for 30 years, and have had many drug tests. They were required of hospital workers - I am a retired Trauma Radiographer.

As Sugar Frosted mentioned, there are some things that do mimic banned drugs. Did the lab tech ask you about any medications, and OTC stuff, that you may have had in your system? Had you eaten any buns or bread with poppy seeds? That will show up as a banned drug.

One drug testing I had, the tech did not ask the first question about meds or OTC stuff. I told her it was necessary for that info to be on the lab slip. She told me she didn't have to ask it. I then had her give me the paper and I listed all of my meds, OTC, vitamins, etc on there, and also wrote that the lab tech didn't ask for the info as was required.

With the type of work I did (radiation), anything as failing a drug test, felony, etc. would have cost me my national certification for working in my field.

P.S. Maybe call the places that had you take the test, and see if they will allow another test, and maybe at a different lab. I don't know if that will help, but if it does, be sure to list any meds and OTC's that you may be on, or had been on within 30 or so days. Good luck.

Trisha - Type 1

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Occasional Visitor
redjoyD
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎03-10-2013

Maybe I did not make myself clear. The only other medications that i am on are for high blood pressure. The reason the drug test came back failed was that it had been watered down. They did not find any illegal drugs- They implied that the sample had too much water in it. Also the people who did the test did not write down any of my medications. I do drink a lot of water and I do use the bathroom more than I guess normal people do. I was wondering if any other diabetics had this problem?

trisha01
Total Posts: 6,394
Topics: 314
High Fives: 692
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 74

[ Edited ]

redjoyD wrote:

Maybe I did not make myself clear. The only other medications that i am on are for high blood pressure. The reason the drug test came back failed was that it had been watered down. They did not find any illegal drugs- They implied that the sample had too much water in it. Also the people who did the test did not write down any of my medications. I do drink a lot of water and I do use the bathroom more than I guess normal people do. I was wondering if any other diabetics had this problem?

Redjoy,

I, for one, took the "watered down" in your first post, as a figure of speech. It wasn't clear that you had meant it literally.

Does your doctor know about this situation? Do you have any medical conditions that would cause this? Have your doc check for kidney disease or maybe something with your adrenal glands. I was born with kidney disease( a diabetic autoimmune KD), and my urine has always been pretty much dilute. It is seldom a concentrated urine. However, that has never affected any of my drug tests, nor has being diabetic affected them.

Good luck, and let us know what comes about.

Trisha - Type 1

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,100
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

The BP med they didn't bother writing down isn't a "water pill" such as HCTZ?

Occasional Responder
char422
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎07-26-2013

Is is possible for a person to test positive for cocaine if he has type 2 diabetes if he is not using? His A1C has not been under control. He has other medical issues as well and is taking at least 12 medications daily.

Responder
DIYMom
Total Posts: 31
Registered on: ‎07-22-2013

char422 wrote:

Is is possible for a person to test positive for cocaine if he has type 2 diabetes if he is not using? His A1C has not been under control. He has other medical issues as well and is taking at least 12 medications daily.

Hi.  I don't know the answer but here's some info I can offer.

#1  Call the lab that did the test (or another one if you have choices in your area and don't want to "out" the person).  Ask them what can cause a false positive for cocaine.

#2  If the fals positive wasn't yours, are you 100% certain this person isn't using?  As someone in recovery, I can tell you that when I was in my addiction I'd lie to everyone I knew and loved to avoid detection.

I read this on drugs dot com and this on a university web site through a simple Google search.  So it's most definitely possible to have a false positive.

------------------------------------------
Living one day at a time, Cindy

T2 diagnosed 07-22-13
A1C 7.5 on 07-17-13

Wt. 03-12-13: 292
Wt. 07-17-13: 289
Wt. 07-28-13: 282
Wt. 08-16-13: 278
Wt. 08-23-13: 276
Responder
voodoos
Total Posts: 17
Registered on: ‎06-07-2013

[ Edited ]

Sounds ,ike it was a bad test, but not positive.  They just need to redo the test.  If it was watered down?  The test should be discarded.  Just saying as an RN.  But I would be careful not to drink too much fluids prior to the test.  Just in case it could cause the error to be repeated...