Responder
Hardunger
Total Posts: 24
Registered on: ‎06-14-2012

Do Blood Transfusions Affect A1C?

I recently was in the hospital where I needed 5 transfusions - and Aic was 5 - today it was 6 - glucose 105 - I know my glucose shot up when in hospital, was given a shot and went back down to 98 - I am on blood thinners now - my sons best friend has diabetes - and said his easiest way was to not eat anything white - I fell  and on crutches and worry about exercise - - I sure hope I can get ahead somewhere - Thanks folks 

Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,471
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Do Blood Transfusions Affect A1C?

[ Edited ]

Apparently they do: http://labtestsonline.org/news/a1c100112 (paragraph 5).

They say "Recent severe bleeding and recent blood transfusion also lead to differences in A1c and therefore A1c tests should not be used for diagnosis."

Very sorry to hear about your fall!  Can you do any upper body exercise while seated -- such as bicep curls, upright rows, tricep extensions, overhead presses?  Glute squeezes?  Would ab curls be a possibility?  Any muscle contraction will burn calories and lower blood glucose.  Resistance exercise is an excellent way to help manage blood glucose.

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Responder
Hardunger

I do like the Lab website - - one of the most knowledgeable and useful on the Internet.  When I was in hospital they had me in life enhancement - where they had me doing upper and lower exercises - when I first became sick it was pneumonia, then pulmonary embolisms - (never smoked iin my life) - but since I retired I do not have such a regimented way of life - and started eating much more liberal at the luncheons etc.  I even had french fries the other day -and I don't like them -  all my life I was on a low fat diet - - 

I know I am lucky to be alive from the pulmonary view - tring to find out what I can and can't eat is scary to me.  Just gave away my oatmeal with maple syrup - had scrambled egg for breakfast and club salad around 4:00 - but I have to keep that strength up and that is where I feel like a kid on a teer-totter - - I usually take a drink of slim-fast with my meds at night - thanks for your advice and please keep in touch 

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,924
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,056
Solutions: 116
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

[ Edited ]

Yes, receiving a transfusion can make a difference in your A1C, either higher or lower.  Both people with normal metabolism and people with diabetes can be blood donors.  Donors with diabetes should have well-managed blood glucose, but than might mean anything up to 7.0mg/dl.

When you receive somebody else's blood, you are getting their red blood cells.  If they had a high A1C you would get lots of glycosylated red blood cells from them.  If they had a normal A1C, you would get a lower percentage of glycosylated cells.  The blood in your body after the transfusion would contain a mix of all your own remaining red blood cells plus all the transfused red cells too.  The resulting A1C might be higher or lower than your own blood had been before the transfusions.  It could take up to three or four months until all those cells died off and you have a complete return to your own home-grown new red blood cells.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Super Advisor
wildflower142
Total Posts: 733
Registered on: ‎03-26-2012

wow i would never have thought donated blood could affect your A1C, but I can see how it can happen. Ashleigh will be having major surgery sometime this fall or winter. So I guess the possibility of a blood transfusion is there.

Chris mom to 4 daughters. Ashleigh 15 years old. diagnosed Type 1 @ age 11. Pumping animas ping. Dexcom G4 CGM
July 2014 A1C 6.1%
trisha01
Total Posts: 6,354
Topics: 307
High Fives: 674
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 72

wildflower142 wrote:

wow i would never have thought donated blood could affect your A1C, but I can see how it can happen. Ashleigh will be having major surgery sometime this fall or winter. So I guess the possibility of a blood transfusion is there.

Chris,

If you or her dad, or other family member, is the same blood type, see about donating some blood just before surgery. Never mind dad, I just remembered you said he is also diabetic. You would want someone whose numbers are not diabetic range, to donate. But on the other hand, a few months of higher A1c's won't be that bad.

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

trisha01
Total Posts: 6,354
Topics: 307
High Fives: 674
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 72

Hardunger wrote:

I recently was in the hospital where I needed 5 transfusions - and Aic was 5 - today it was 6 - glucose 105 - I know my glucose shot up when in hospital, was given a shot and went back down to 98 - I am on blood thinners now - my sons best friend has diabetes - and said his easiest way was to not eat anything white - I fell  and on crutches and worry about exercise - - I sure hope I can get ahead somewhere - Thanks folks 

Hardunger,

I'm sorry you are having so much difficulty, and hope that you heal rather quickly. My husband is also on Coumadin / Warfarin (same thing), and he is also having issues with not being able to eat green veggies. He is not diabetic though. Just wanted you to know, that due to my husband, I can relate to your difficulty with the blood thinners.

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Responder
Hardunger

Hi  - I have sat myself down and read and read - but have decided that although I had 5 blood transfusions - that was over a year ago - that I think of all the major changes I have made since I got out of the hospital with the blood anemia and recently that the clots weren't entirely dissolved (thankful they had ut a filter in) - but I have also retired - and not on a schedule - I even ate my first french fries in 10 years (never liked them) but I was a vegetarian - but started eatiing angus burgers - but at any rate I have to get back to my low fat diet - (had gall stones for 30 years) and getting that Aic back down from the new 6 to a 5 - surprised that during all this time and blood checks - nothing was said - the 6 Aic was discovered when I went into the Doctor and asked for a energy check - re": D3 - thyroid -etc.  - and thank heavens I went in and asked for it - - - like I said I am going to have to get back to my pre-hospital route  - Thanks

Super Advisor
wildflower142
Total Posts: 733
Registered on: ‎03-26-2012

i think my husband and Ashleigh have the same blood type. So maybe i'll have him donate. I'd rather have her, have blood from someone we know anyway.

Chris mom to 4 daughters. Ashleigh 15 years old. diagnosed Type 1 @ age 11. Pumping animas ping. Dexcom G4 CGM
July 2014 A1C 6.1%