Long Lost Member
rcoletti
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎07-11-2011

Dialysis Machines-Saving Plastic Caps for Recycling

Does anyone know anything about saving and donating plastic bottle caps.  I used to give all of mine to a lady that was collecting them.  She brought them somewhere and they are used for recycling for parts of Dialysis machines...
I have a whole bunch and lost track of her.  If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know.  I have searched the website and can't find anything.  Thanks! 
Super Advisor
Spookiesmom
Total Posts: 1,453
Registered on: ‎02-17-2010

When I was little, it was save cigarette wrappers for dialysis. Then it was the pop tops on cans. Now this? Take them to your local recycle place, see if they even can be recycled.
Barb T2 Omni Pod since 1-09
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,496
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

I'd love to see the answer to this one!

It's amazing how they can recycle all kinds of things nowadays to make all kinds of new things...
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,801
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,000
Solutions: 111
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

I didn't find any anything specific about bottle caps for dialysis, but I did find this article at   http://www.snopes.com/business/redeem/bottlecap.asp that tells about hoaxes that claimed that bottle caps could be turned in to help pay for chemotherapy for cancer victims or prosthetic limbs.  This sure sounds like a variation on that theme.

The only such drive that seems legitmate is the Yoplait annual drive to donate to breast cancer research in exchange for the foil caps from its yogurt.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Super Advisor
Spookiesmom
Total Posts: 1,453
Registered on: ‎02-17-2010

It's true plastic can be recycled into many things. I bought Spookie a bed that was made from water bottles. It's really soft and fluffy. But this dialysis thing really annoys me.
Barb T2 Omni Pod since 1-09