Valued Contributor
marty1955
Total Posts: 8,308
Registered on: ‎05-12-2013

Re: Diagnosed yesterday type II

The metformin will take a bit to start working, some say about 2 weeks.  Be patient, they are not going to drop as quickly as you might like, but they will.  As others have said, you have to eat to keep the blood glucose levels down.  Not eating is going to make it worse. 

"The road to success is always under construction."
- Lily Tomlin

01/2013 - diagnosed with T2 and hypothyroidism
A1c - 7.2
04/16/2013 - A1c 6.1
07/24/2013 - A1c 5.8 (bayernow)
09/21/2013 - A1c 5.6 (bayernow)
10/10/2013 - A1c 5.7
04/30/2014 - A1c 5.5
500 mg Metformin/1 per day
Low Carb
Beginning weight - 183
08/27/2013 - 143
10/03/2013 - 141
12/05/2013 - 138
Blood Pressure 12/05/2013 - 118/60
Blood Pressure 02/2014 - 106/54 (too low, medication cut to maintenance dose)
Blood Pressure 04/29/2014 - 110/65
T2 paternal grandmother, father, two sisters, my current and my ex husband

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,929
Topics: 564
High Fives: 1,987
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Rand for help with insurance and meds, check out this post:

Financial Assistance for Insurance and Medications | Lizzy's Diabetes Lounge

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Responder
Rand123
Total Posts: 11
Registered on: ‎08-01-2013

Last night my BG was under 200, but this morning it was 240 and I am not feeling very well. I do not understand how not eating makes my BG go up. What should I eat for breakfast? I do not cook. It must be something I can get at a fast food or dollar store. At lunch I will try to find some place that has salad. This is not going to be easy living in the land of the all batter fried buffet restaurant.

Frequent Advisor
mipatel
Total Posts: 350
Registered on: ‎07-08-2013

[ Edited ]

Breakfast - boiled eggs are great and incredibly simple.  i usually pair it with a smoothie made with spinach, a few blueberries and sugar-free protein powder.  if you MUST do fast food, a breakfast sandwich without the bread/croissant/english muffin is fairly low in carbs.  (check your fast food's place website to be sure)

Lunch - wendy's chicken blt cobb salad is tasty, relatively healthy and low in carbs if you throw away the croutons.  they give you 2 packets of dressing, but i only use 1.  total carbs = 13g (using only 1 packet of dressing and NO croutons).  

Dx T2 6/6/13 - A1c - 8.2, FBS - 143, 2hr PP - 181
(8/27/13): A1c - 5.8
(11/28/13): A1c - 5.5
(5/30/14): A1c - 5.3
Currently FBG: between 70-90
LCHF since 6/8/13

Brought to you by Carl Corporations: "Making the babbling brook babble just a little bit more."
Responder
Rand123

Boiled eggs sound good. I may be able to do that. At about half a gram carbs each I could have a couple. This is what I need. Less about food I should avoid and more about things I can have. Otherwise I am afraid to eat anything.

I just found this info on fast food: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/eatingout/a/lowcarbfastfood.htm

Lizzy, Some good information on Getting Started. Thank you for putting that together. The Testing 101 part is the most difficult to understand. What is meant by by fasting?

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,929
Topics: 564
High Fives: 1,987
Solutions: 142

Rand123 wrote:

Boiled eggs sound good. I may be able to do that. At about half a gram carbs each I could have a couple. This is what I need. Less about food I should avoid and more about things I can have. Otherwise I am afraid to eat anything.

I just found this info on fast food: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/eatingout/a/lowcarbfastfood.htm

Lizzy, Some good information on Getting Started. Thank you for putting that together. The Testing 101 part is the most difficult to understand. What is meant by by fasting?

Rand fasting means first thing in the morning.  I don't get too hung up on the exact number of hours, it' just when you normally get up. Fasting for a medical test does involve from 8 -12 hours however.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Valued Contributor
marty1955
Total Posts: 8,308
Registered on: ‎05-12-2013

Dollar Store items: 

VanCamps Beenie Weenies, small can, 25 carbs, 9 grams fiber, 15 grams protein, 8 of fat

Can of Tuna - 5.7 oz can water pack, 0 carbs, mix with some mayonnaise, 0 carbs, bring a side salad home from a fast food restaurant, plop the tuna on top of the salad, easy...add a 1/2 cup serving of pork & beans, pinto beans, etc.

Sausage & Eggs, hash brown (don't eat the biscuit) :  17 carbs, from McDonalds, add some apple slices at 4 carbs

Bojangles:  Grilled chicken sandwich, eat bottom layer of bun only - 17 carbs, have a side of green beans 7 carbs  or you could have the cajun pintos for 20 carbs, they also have a grilled chicken salad at 11 carbs, plus add in the dressing (1 pack) and have the pintos 

Just do searches for the different fast food places:  McDonalds has a good system that will show you items by the number of carbs, low to high, and they have a make a meal section that shows you total nutritional info...check it out.  Just search the restaurants that you purchase from or visit Calorie King online to get information on 1,000s of different foods.  The biggest problem I see in the fast food, is the sodium, but if you don't cook not sure how to tell you how to handle that. 

"The road to success is always under construction."
- Lily Tomlin

01/2013 - diagnosed with T2 and hypothyroidism
A1c - 7.2
04/16/2013 - A1c 6.1
07/24/2013 - A1c 5.8 (bayernow)
09/21/2013 - A1c 5.6 (bayernow)
10/10/2013 - A1c 5.7
04/30/2014 - A1c 5.5
500 mg Metformin/1 per day
Low Carb
Beginning weight - 183
08/27/2013 - 143
10/03/2013 - 141
12/05/2013 - 138
Blood Pressure 12/05/2013 - 118/60
Blood Pressure 02/2014 - 106/54 (too low, medication cut to maintenance dose)
Blood Pressure 04/29/2014 - 110/65
T2 paternal grandmother, father, two sisters, my current and my ex husband

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,842
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,018
Solutions: 112

Rand123 wrote:

Last night my BG was under 200, but this morning it was 240 and I am not feeling very well. I do not understand how not eating makes my BG go up. What should I eat for breakfast? I do not cook. It must be something I can get at a fast food or dollar store. At lunch I will try to find some place that has salad. This is not going to be easy living in the land of the all batter fried buffet restaurant.

I'm not sure if anybody answered your question about how blood glucose can rise overnight.  The answer is that glucose originally comes from the carbs in the food you eat, but your body stores some of that glucose away in your liver and parcels it out when it thinks you need more energy.  One of the problems that show up for people with diabetes is that it is likely to pour out more than you need, or your pancreas may not send out enough insulin at the same time to allow your muscles to receive that extra glucose.  When that happens first thing in the morning, we call it the Dawn Phenomenom (DP)

Now, I have a question for you.  You say you don't cook.  Does that mean you don't have a kitchen?  Do you have a microwave? Hot pot? Single burner hotplate?  Minifridge?  This time of year, with back-to-school, off-to-college sales, you may find good deals on some of those things. Just the ability to heat food somehow and keep it cool can add a lot of flexibility to your menu.  You are going to have diabetes for the rest of your life, so it seems like a good objective to gradually invest in some ways to manage it more easily. 

If it's just a matter of not knowing how to cook, it's time to begin to learn. After all, a lot of "cooking", like making a salad or a sandwich is just a matter of assembling the right ingredients, with no real cooking involved.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Responder
Rand123

My not cooking has nothing to do with any of those things. I have a very nice kitchen with all the amenities. I stopped cooking after my wife died. I have no one to cook for and no desire to make anything but coffee. Since I live alone going out to eat gets me around other people and I do not feel so lonely. Cooking for one is also expensive. You end up wasting a lot of food, leftovers that end up in the trash. It is actually cheaper to eat out.

Established Advisor
MariaFan
Total Posts: 3,706
Registered on: ‎12-21-2012

Rand,

I am so sorry to hear about your wife.

******************************************************************************************
MariaFan aka Mark *the biggest fan of Maria Sharapova*
How do you like my newest Maria avatar? Isn't she lovely? :heart: :heart: :heart:

♫ ♫ Dancin' In The Moon Light, and Fighting The Good Fight ♫ ♫
*******************************************************************************************
T2 - Official since 2011. Unofficial probably since 1980.
Hoping to stay in the 5% club.