Responder
finecabernet
Total Posts: 39
Registered on: ‎11-24-2010

Diabetes and excessive daytime sleepiness

Is excessive daytime sleepiness associated with diabetes? I'm newly diagnosed, and the sugar is still out of control while we figure out meds. And today I did the ultimate in mortifying by falling asleep at my desk! I've also been "foggy" this week, making a ton of dumb mistakes. Is this common?
Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,095
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

When my BG is high I get sleepy. Once I got it my BG under contorl (after being diagnosed), I find I don't get as tired as I used to. I also found that the fluctuating BG that often happens to many of us when we first start working to get our BG under control can really be tiring.
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,473

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Super Advisor
powerwalker2

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Super Advisor
powerwalker2

Hi, Dianne!  What meds are you taking?  (Some people have complained about metformin causing drowsiness when first starting on it). Are you exercising?  Exercise is energizing and helps get the blood sugar down.  Even a few minutes of brisk walking after meals can work wonders  What blood sugar levels are you currently having?
Responder
finecabernet
Total Posts: 39
Registered on: ‎11-24-2010

They are kind of all over the place (just started taking measurements on Thursday), though today before lunch and before dinner they were below 200. Still high (270 and above) in the morning.

Oh, so it could be the Metformin? That's a relief! I've also been dopey at work (making dumb mistakes and generally being lifeless). Hoping the meds explain it!
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,928
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,057
Solutions: 116
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,928
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,057
Solutions: 116
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

While I can't say that it's NOT the metformin making you sleepy, that's not one of the possible adverse effects listed in the package insert for Glucophage, the brand name version of metformin. 

It seems far more likely to me that sleepiness is related to high blood sugar levels.  You culd try testing when you feel especially sleepy to see if there is a correlation.  I would expect the problem to go away once blood sugar is more under control.
Dianne Zoccola says:
They are kind of all over the place (just started taking measurements on Thursday), though today before lunch and before dinner they were below 200. Still high (270 and above) in the morning.

Oh, so it could be the Metformin? That's a relief! I've also been dopey at work (making dumb mistakes and generally being lifeless). Hoping the meds explain it!

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Long Lost Member
janetmuir
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎07-08-2010

Super Advisor
powerwalker2