Reply
Occasional Visitor
aknaus
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎03-29-2012

Re: Dealing with new diagnosis

Hello Everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  I'm taking my metformin 2x a day but I don't feel 100% and at times lightheaded.  I had better days when I was just taking 1 pill a day.  I think I need to get an MRI, I get a quick pain on the left side of my chest behind the breast.  I don't have any breathing problems and my EKG came back fine.  Has anyone had this symptom?

 

I'm counting carbs and exercising 30 minutes a day.  I can't wait until I have this under control and not have worry about it as much as I do.  Call me a worrier. 

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,989
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Dealing with new diagnosis


aknaus wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  I'm taking my metformin 2x a day but I don't feel 100% and at times lightheaded.  I had better days when I was just taking 1 pill a day.  I think I need to get an MRI, I get a quick pain on the left side of my chest behind the breast.  I don't have any breathing problems and my EKG came back fine.  Has anyone had this symptom?

 

I'm counting carbs and exercising 30 minutes a day.  I can't wait until I have this under control and not have worry about it as much as I do.  Call me a worrier. 


Hi AK, welcome.

 

I really don't think that it's the metformin, it probaly has more to do with your numbers decreasing.  This would account for the lightheadedness as well.  How long ago were you diagnosed and what were your A1C and glucose numbers.

 

Here's a link I wrote for newly diagnosed people, click on the title:

 

Are You Newly Diagnosed?

 

Here's a link about Metformin:

 

All About Metformin

 

You would also benefit from reading the rest of the links in the newly diagnosed section of the blog. 

 

Come back and ask any questions you may have.

 

Lizzy

 

 

Knowledge is Power!





Here's some useful links, click on the titles


Testing 101
 
 All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos



Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  


Occasional Visitor
aknaus
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎03-29-2012

Re: Dealing with new diagnosis

Hi Lizzylou,

I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago.  If I remember my doctor said I was an 8(would that be my A1C) and my glucose was 233 (i was not fasting).  My worry is that I don't confuse this quick pain from a heart attack that is why I say I might need an MRI.

 

AK

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,989
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Dealing with new diagnosis


aknaus wrote:

Hi Lizzylou,

I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago.  If I remember my doctor said I was an 8(would that be my A1C) and my glucose was 233 (i was not fasting).  My worry is that I don't confuse this quick pain from a heart attack that is why I say I might need an MRI.

 

AK


Well of course if you have any doubt you should always have it checked out, if only to ease your mind.  Since you said you'd just had test and no problems though it also pays to look for other causes.

 

Your numbers were pretty high at diagnosis, so if they're becoming lower you're bound to feel some effect from that  since your body has gotten used to the higher numbers.

 

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!





Here's some useful links, click on the titles


Testing 101
 
 All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos



Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  


Visitor
ramanat3
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎04-27-2012

Re: Dealing with new diagnosis

Hi Aknaus,

I am a Type 2 Diabetic and a 32 yr male.I face the exact symptoms as I am on metformin. I work out for more than an hour everyday and I am down to 1 pill. I get light headed for a second or so but never serious. I have the pain on the left side of the chest too but it fades away.

Long Lost Member
esmith67328557
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎04-27-2012

Re: Dealing with new diagnosis

Hello. Could u tell me the exact name of yr belly fat book? There seem to be a few books with those words in the title. My husband is 3 months into this, and altho he's lost 15 lbs, he was not overweight. He's had a "distended belly" since he was a kid, so the 15 lbs he's now lost is very upsetting to him. Maybe this book can help. If nothing else, maybe it has new ideas of foods, meals and snacks that i can make for him or eat at restaurants. Food has become such a stressful and depressing issue for us both! Thanks.
Occasional Visitor
stothup
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎04-28-2012

Re: Dealing with new diagnosis

I can relate....I am a HUGE carb fan.  Check out Dreamfields pasta.  Low carb count....I get my pasta fix and don't raise my BG into orbit.  Also, check out your local health food store/co-op.  I have found some great items that satisfy my sweet tooth without sacrificing my meal planning. 

 

Just had a quinoa macaroon that tasted fabulous....made w/ quinoa flour and brown rice syrup.  13 carbs for a cookie.  1g protein.  Such an intense coconut flavor.  Satified my sweet craving after a meal. 

 

It does take a lot of work and is really frustrating.  Eventually you will find what works best for you. 

 

I was diagnosed a year ago w/ T2.  My husband has been T2 for over 20 years.  What works for him does NOT work for me.  This was a huge eye opener. 

Occasional Responder
schaken
Total Posts: 9
Registered on: ‎03-04-2012

Re: Dealing with new diagnosis

I was diagnosed in Nov 11.  I also feel light headed, I bottom out.  My Dr has told me to eat small 5 carb snacks every 2 hours.  I also have slight pain in my chest.  Not a heart problem, had an MRI etc.  I do not take any medicine as yet.  When I was diagnosed my A1C was 10.5.  Just had another test and should have the results on Monday.

 

Unlike others that post I have to have 1/3 oatmeal with 2/3 cup milk and 2 tbls of raisins.  Nothing else seems to work.  I carry a jar of peanut butter with me and 3 crackers as a snack.

 

I am like a lot of others and spend 2 to 3 hours in the grocery store reading labels. 

 

I have an appointment with a dietitian on Tuesday.  Hopefully she can help me out. 

Regular Visitor
djunem
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎03-18-2012

Re: Dealing with new diagnosis

Hi, I have been following and learning. I am June and was diagnosed 2/16/12.  I had warnings from my body and my doctor, but it was official when my test showed 7.5. My maternal grandmother had T1 and my father, mother and sibling were all diagnosed with T2 long ago.  I am 69 nearing my 70th birthday but I was still surprised and when told she would hook me up with a dietician, I asked for some time to deal with it for awhile.  Probably a mistake, but I have so much on my plate that a trip to someone else seemed impossible.  I am a internet searcher and I have a couple of books.  What I am reading here in your conversation is that one has to find their own way anyway. I was a bread, english muffin junkie and was hungry all the time.  When I cut out bread entirely I was lucky that the craving went away for the first month or so, but now want to eat more sweet tasting foods.   You mention exercise and I have read how important exercise is to actually change one's body response to diabetes.  I have a severe back problem just diagnosed this month and I have yet to learn what I can do.  Until now my movement has been dictated by pain, so walking was impossible.  I have had some relief but what are you doing to help your diets with exercise-it would have to be moderate. I realize this is too long an introduction.  I will continue to follow here, read and learn.  Not on any medication.  I too would be interested in the name of the book mentioned. 

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,989
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Dealing with new diagnosis


schaken wrote:

I was diagnosed in Nov 11.  I also feel light headed, I bottom out.  My Dr has told me to eat small 5 carb snacks every 2 hours.  I also have slight pain in my chest.  Not a heart problem, had an MRI etc.  I do not take any medicine as yet.  When I was diagnosed my A1C was 10.5.  Just had another test and should have the results on Monday.

 

Unlike others that post I have to have 1/3 oatmeal with 2/3 cup milk and 2 tbls of raisins.  Nothing else seems to work.  I carry a jar of peanut butter with me and 3 crackers as a snack.

 

I am like a lot of others and spend 2 to 3 hours in the grocery store reading labels. 

 

I have an appointment with a dietitian on Tuesday.  Hopefully she can help me out. 


Hi Schaken, welcome.

 

Your A1C at diagnosis was very high, I'm very surprised that you weren't prescribed any medication.

 

The diet information was also rather strange, 5 carbs snacks every 2 hours.  It's really hard to find a snack with only 5 carbs, what did you eat?

 

Why exactly do you have to have oatmeal and milk in the morning?  What are your numbers after you eat that?  How often do you test?

 

Here's some newbie information for you to read, click on the title:

 

Getting Started

 

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!





Here's some useful links, click on the titles


Testing 101
 
 All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos



Lizzy's Blog
for lots more